Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ever been to a restaurant where you don't write in the credit card tips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever been to a restaurant where you don't write in the credit card tips?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:01 am

In China they do this a lot but says its a service fee not a tip. Makes me crazy, especially if the service is crap.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:11 am

I have seen receipts where they did the math for you by listing 15% = x.xx 18% = x.xx 20% = x.xx at the bottom of the receipt. That I don't mind, as there is still a line to fill out.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by dakuda
I have seen receipts where they did the math for you by listing 15% = x.xx 18% = x.xx 20% = x.xx at the bottom of the receipt. That I don't mind, as there is still a line to fill out.
you might mind, if you do the math yourself and realize they did it wrong.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by crabbing
I do the math anyway, this particular location was fine.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by crabbing
I definitely mind at Maggiano's. They print 18, 20, 22% on the total after tax.

And the service (at my local restaurant) is barely passable.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
I'd prefer they swipe the card at the table. Never had a problem but it seems incredibly dumb to let someone wander off with your card for a few minutes. As long as the preset options are reasonable - for example, 15/18/20/25 and calculated on pre-tax amounts... not like the cabs I've been in where the defaults are 25/30/40 and you have to hunt for a small button to give 18% to a guy that, based on my typical cab experience, deserves somewhere south of 3.
Wandering off with the card would breach pretty well every security regulation in the UK. A cardholder should not ever permit a merchant even to touch his card and certainly never let it iut of his sight. Likewise any merchant doing this would have his merchant agreement terminated immediately. It's basic security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.