Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ever been to a restaurant where you don't write in the credit card tips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever been to a restaurant where you don't write in the credit card tips?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I had a mid-day meal at Chili's yesterday. I paid with the little device on the table and it had a tip of 20% figured in (it showed the dollar amount of the tip as well), but there was an easily manipulated bar on the screen to bring it up or down. It did figure the tip on the pre-tax amount, which is proper. I can't say I found anything to object to.
Those little devices are Ziosks, or something like that. They're pretty nice.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
While the pre-selected tip options of 15, 18, 20, 25% are handy, I am usually able to do the mental math for a tip in my hand without much hassle so these do not really apply nor do they 'assist' me.

The default option to 25% is insulting but I don't have time to play 20 questions with the restaurant.

I would ask to see a manager if I am obligated to hit a pre-selected amount like the OP mentioned instead of having the choice to input my own amount.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by architect1337
For tipping on London /UK

I usually tip bellboy when they bring bags to room £1 per big bag. Maybe a fiver if staying at the Savoy. Nobody else. In restaurants, 10% rounded so if bill is £85, I'd leave £9. The British tend to tip on total with tax included ( as all prices include 20% tax). If service was bad, no tip. Either add to card machine as mentioned here in figures or leave cash. No tipping in bar / pub ( I never really got that one. For opening a bottle of beer? Really?) Taxis - just round to nearest whole pound. Apart from that, I don't think I give anyone else a tip and nobody else expects it.

The British find tipping a bit embarrassing really.
In London 12.5% service is already added so you're tipping double if you add 10%.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Yes, France. The tip is included. And there is no place on the slip to add more. You have to put cash if you want to.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt, Accor, SPGCorp, BA, Virgin
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
In London 12.5% service is already added so you're tipping double if you add 10%.
If service charge is already added, then I wouldn't add anything else. What's annoying is that the service charge is usually on top of the gross price so you're paying 12.5% on top of 20% tax. This is equivalent to about 15% ( just under) on the net price. This and the food is more expensive and wait staff paid much better than the US.

Last edited by architect1337; Aug 5, 2014 at 5:58 am
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
...in some restaurants, but by no means all. In fact, it's probably a small minority.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by kipper
Those little devices are Ziosks, or something like that. They're pretty nice.
That's it!

Advantages:
No waiting for the server to ring you up.
Your credit card never leaves your hand.
No math for those who are challenged in that way.
A printed receipt with tip included.

I'm the opposite of annoyed with these things. I'm downright delighted. I just don't necessarily like the restaurants where they're deployed. Hopefully the technology comes down in price to where they start to appear in the smaller local places I like.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
20% is generous - 25 % really? wow
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
Forgot the exact name, but it was on Central close to the UNM campus. Majority of the seating was outdoors. The name was like K-something, and the indoor portion of the restaurant looked like a car mechanic garage.
That is Kellys Brew Pub on 3222 Central Ave (http://www.kellysbrewpub.com/)

from yelp: "The credit card machine is awkward with the waitress looking at you while you tip... She was being short and kinda moody, Lame. Dropped to two stars, it was lingering between two and three, that sent it over the edge.. "
"On another note, I definitely did not appreciate her looking directly over our shoulders when we were paying, making it extremely awkward (especially since the only tips their portable credit-card machines offer you to leave is 18 or 20 percent, so the circumstances required us to select "other amount").
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
...in some restaurants, but by no means all. In fact, it's probably a small minority.
Very very few add an automatic gratuity IME - perhaps it is more common in the more touristy places in London? I think several of my friends would laugh at them if they tried it (I am thinking pub food type places, rather than fine dining tho!)
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by emma69
Very very few add an automatic gratuity IME - perhaps it is more common in the more touristy places in London? I think several of my friends would laugh at them if they tried it (I am thinking pub food type places, rather than fine dining tho!)
I don't know where any of you eat but every place I go to, from Roka, Zuma etc... to high end italian restaurants to Jaime's Italian add the automatic service charge. As do the pubs I go to such as the Thomas Cubitt, The Orange etc...

Please let me know where I can avoid it although I'm finding it quite useful myself. Was a bit shocked to leave London and realise it is not added...
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Where we eat is not so much the point. The majority of UK restaurants don't add any service charge. International/touristy/business places in London, by and large, do, but this is a small minority.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Where we eat is not so much the point. The majority of UK restaurants don't add any service charge. International/touristy/business places in London, by and large, do, but this is a small minority.
Hence why I said London in the first place...
Old Aug 9, 2014, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I'd prefer they swipe the card at the table. Never had a problem but it seems incredibly dumb to let someone wander off with your card for a few minutes. As long as the preset options are reasonable - for example, 15/18/20/25 and calculated on pre-tax amounts... not like the cabs I've been in where the defaults are 25/30/40 and you have to hunt for a small button to give 18% to a guy that, based on my typical cab experience, deserves somewhere south of 3.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:39 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
In nearly every state in the USA, taxes are added to restaurant bills. If the tipping options are based on %s, it should only be on the base check--I don't tip on taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.