Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

People Kept Complaining This Restaurant Sucked, Look What They Found Out…

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA

A famous restaurant in NYC decided to hire a firm to figure out why they kept getting bad reviews. What this firm discovered is quite interesting. Below is a transcript that the restaurant posted on Craigslist after they discovered what it was:

http://themetapicture.com/people-kep...hey-found-out/
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Having witnessed behavior like this in person - compounded with 15 years as chief analyst at a think tank studying the problem of Information Overload - this doesn't surprise me at all.

What does surprise me is the fact that someone was able to make this kind of comparison - it's amazing that any of the tapes were located from over a decade ago and it has provided invaluable insights on a major shift in how people comport themselves.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:13 pm

A third of people take picture of their food and over half ask the wait staff to take their picture? That does not sound like avg restaurant behavior to me (at least outside NY?).
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:09 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

It sounds like a publicity stunt to me.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Homer15
A third of people take picture of their food and over half ask the wait staff to take their picture? That does not sound like avg restaurant behavior to me (at least outside NY?).
I thought the same - except that the article specifically mentioned it was popular with tourists, so that makes a lot more sense.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by paul4040
It sounds like a publicity stunt to me.
+1^

The thing that surprises me the most is the fact that they can come to this conclusion based on viewing 45 customers in 1 day, then doing it again 10 years later, again based on 1 day's viewing.

Im no rocket scientist or a consultant but off the top of my head i would think you should probably view a lot more tape.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seems some posting in this thread are not foodies and have not kept up with the foodie scene. (especially but not limited to young foodies.)

Originally Posted by jspira
this doesn't surprise me at all

major shift in how people comport themselves
and occasionally people will tell me nothing has changed at all. right.

i might seek out restaurants that do not allow photos (and or cell phones) in the future. how to find them? look for people complaining about them not being allowed.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:31 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I'm convinced this "study" is bogus. I posted my thoughts to a food-specific message board.

ETA: I'm not sure how this could be a publicity stunt, since the post never mentioned the name of the restaurant.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

chgoeditor, chicago may not be as bad. some foodie blogs are crazy.

i literally just emailed this to a friend in NYC, who replied saying he refuses to go to trendy LES restaurants on fri/sat because of the dining crowd.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:18 pm

I think they found out the truth... "This Restaurant Sucked" If the average customer (today) spent 2 hours in a meal, then you adjust to it. Keep up or get left behind...
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:03 pm

zero chance that this actually happened.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'm calling bogus on the "study" as well, but given that one my blog's primary topics is food, I'll fully admit that I'm totally guilty of this.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
chgoeditor, chicago may not be as bad. some foodie blogs are crazy.

i literally just emailed this to a friend in NYC, who replied saying he refuses to go to trendy LES restaurants on fri/sat because of the dining crowd.
A. If you think Chicago doesn't have a foodie culture, you haven't been to Chicago recently.

B. The restaurant claimed they were in/near Times Square. This "restaurant" (which I'm positive doesn't exist) isn't a trendy foodie destination. If anything, it's a place like Guy Fieri's tourist trap. (Which it's not.)

C. Read any number of the articles that have been written about this Craigslist post. Without fail, and regardless of where they are located, most commenters are calling BS.

D. Hello? Isn't this Flyertalk? I'm a little insulted that you assume/imply I have no experience dining in other cities!

(And I hope you know I'm just giving you grief. But I still stand by my conclusion that this post was bogus.)
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

chgoeditor, you misread my post. i mentioned "crazy" and "foodie" but could have been more specific.

"as bad" - in terms of crazy 'foodies' ... "some foodie blogs are crazy." - i was only talking about the particular "foodies" who do not care if the food tastes good and spend more time photographing their food and talking about it (including over social media in real time) than eating it.

excuse my use of the word "crazy" as it was the first word that came to mind. i will be the first to agree it is an oversimplification that is probably not accurate, but i was going for brief, and failed.

i am not a foodie. (nor do i believe in identifying myself by labels.) i think i am always clear that i am only talking about certain foodies or the foodie "movement" - i am suspicious of ALL "movements" and many things that also add the word "culture" after them these days. new ones not historical.

Originally Posted by wrp96
popular with tourists, so that makes a lot more sense.
if it is a tourist trap, the same principle can apply, except applying to tourists rather than foodies.

actually, wouldnt it be even worse? because people are not there for food, they are there to post to social media and take photos, thats it.

and i go back to >
Originally Posted by jspira
Having witnessed behavior like this in person - compounded with 15 years as chief analyst at a think tank studying the problem of Information Overload - this doesn't surprise me at all.

invaluable insights on a major shift in how people comport themselves.
absolutely agree 100%. the restaurant is irrelevant. this is talking about aspects of society including but not limited to social media. but then im a "big picture" person (different perspective) on these things.

re photo taking (and it happening / not happening in certain places) >

Originally Posted by bhrubin
The only restaurant I can recall not permitting photos is Urasawa in Los Angeles.
Originally Posted by robyng
Momofuku Ko is famous for banning photos:http://www.businessinsider.com/resta...-photos-2013-1 Brooklyn Fare is as well. When we dined at Shoto (David Chang restaurant in Toronto) - photos weren't allowed. But apparently only flash photography is banned now.
Originally Posted by robyng
it all sucks IMO. Especially when it comes to the "counter dining" types of places that are so popular these days. I got really PO'd at Frantzen (then Frantzen Lindeberg) in Stockholm. Like 5 seats at the chef's table. And the diners other than us were all going click-click-click-click-click with their bursting SLR cameras (guess you go to a place that costs $750 for 2 - people have expensive cameras).

FWIW - thinking back - I cannot remember a single restaurant in Tokyo on our last trip (whether 1/2/3 star Michelin) where anyone whipped out a camera...In Germany - 1/2/3 star Michelin restaurants - same thing.

Same thing our last trip to New York for the most part. At places like Le Berdardin and Marea (although not the late Corton - which I won't miss at all).

Perhaps the key is just figuring out where most of the jerks with cameras want to dine?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 22, 2014 at 9:14 pm
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
chgoeditor, you misread my post. i mentioned "crazy" and "foodie" but could have been more specific.

"as bad" - in terms of crazy 'foodies' ... "some foodie blogs are crazy." - i was only talking about the particular "foodies" who do not care if the food tastes good and spend more time photographing their food and talking about it (including over social media in real time) than eating it.

excuse my use of the word "crazy" as it was the first word that came to mind. i will be the first to agree it is an oversimplification that is probably not accurate, but i was going for brief, and failed.
I don't think I misread at all. Chicago has plenty of snap-happy foodies who upload pictures to Facebook before taking a single bite and then spend a lot of time dissecting the minutia of every single meal. Personally, I myself may have 47 photos from last week's meal at Next. But photographing food doesn't take 3 minutes per course. And troubleshooting a wifi connection doesn't take 5 minutes each unless you work for an internet company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.