"Endless appetizers" at TGI Fridays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by silverthief2
Hilarious take on testing the limits of "endless" appetizers:

http://gawker.com/my-14-hour-search-...-ap-1606122925

This article is amazing, thank you for sharing it! I'm going to give it the greatest honor...the Facebook share! ^
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FiveThirtyEight took her story and gave their thoughts on best caloric value.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/if-youre-doing-tgi-fridays-unlimited-appetizer-deal-do-it-right/
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:27 am

Haha that article was very funny! Also, who knew that one could buy a bottle of Dom Pérignon at TGI Fridays?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:32 pm

amazing, in theory

Sounds awesome but I'd bet I get full or sick of the taste of one thing way before I'd eat more than their profits!
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by CMK10
I feel like I need to step in here to defend my employer. I work for a TGI Friday's in Durham to pay my way through law school. Some of our appetizers are okay, yes, really!

Now, that said, the potato skins are terrible since they changed how they make them, you don't want one, let alone an endless amount. The pot stickers are decent enough and as an occasional treat, the fried mozzarella is pretty good.

I will close by saying in two years when I get my JD, I'm never setting foot in a Friday's again though
I do like the potstickers. I see bruschetta is on the offer, but I don't see the nutritional information for it on the TGIF website. I would think it would be one of the healthier options.

Either way, the copious amounts of beer I would consume would probably do more damage then the apps.

Off topic, I can't walk into a TGIF without thinking "Flair"
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by ScottC
If you get diarrhea just from eating processed foods, you need to see your doctor because something is seriously wrong with you.
How about nausea then?

That's why I have the CMK10 chant!

Two more years til I'm a lawyer

Plus, this job is going to make it so I can graduate with zero debt and savings. And also, having consumed a lot of Pick 3 For All appetizers
Wouldn't working p/t as a paralegal be better for you?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by enviroian
Yes. Scary total fat numbers for their apps. Wow. I think it's really gross to be honest the whole concept.

http://www.tgifridays.com/nutrition.pdf
Good lord... not just their apps. It's no shocker that deep fried mozzarella sticks are loaded with fat, but how the hell does one manage to pack 84 grams of fat into a cheeseburger? (For reference, a Big Mac has 27.) Or 59 grams in a classic wedge salad?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by China Clipper
Wouldn't working p/t as a paralegal be better for you?
Paralegals expect people to work during the day and that's when I have class. Plus, I doubt law firms want to hire people with a year of law school and no relevant work experience.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA
That article on trying to eat an endless supply of mozzarella sticks was great!

I do like mozzarella sticks, but usually only the first few are decent for a few minutes while the cheese inside is melted. Once the cheese cools, not so good.

I think if I were to try the endless app promo I would pick the potstickers or the bruschetta.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

Sorry, but everything on that menu sounds so disgusting!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:31 am

I get free dinner at work now (which I think is a punishment) and I had some mozzarella sticks the other night. I finished two before I couldn't take anymore
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Now that I'm reading about this again - who's their supplier here at home - and all USDA inspectetd/approved, one assumed. Never impressed about their junk food selections & haven't been in one in 3 or more years.

Slightly off-topic but related heads up. Quite a few of our expats and "comrades" abroad are shaking their heads at the food scandal abroad - http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0FQ01P20140721 and http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...ried-hong-kong

Brought to the unsuspecting consumers by Yum's (behind McD's and KFC's, etc.) major import supplier, Husi's) - with 110 tons of cooked-meat, etc. discarded and to be buried in HK's landfill alone. (or, shall I or someone else start a new thread/post on this ... and it's not so much the nutritional content itself, that's the least of the problems exposed.)
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Holy cow get a load of the amount of fat and sodium in everything on that menu.

I have been to TGI Friday's once in my life, when I was a young lad about 10-11 years old eating dinner with some extended family. Didn't even impress me then and looking at that menu I have no desire to ever go there.

Never cared to go back there, Applebee's is also another crap chain I never go to. If I recall speaking of Applebee's I think there was a story that made the rounds in social media awhile back where a server at a local Applebee's chain in my area accidentally put a margarita in a little kid's sippy cup. The parents were none too pleased.

However I do enjoy going to Chili's from time to time if I am craving a chain American bar and grill style restaurant. Chili's is not bad at all.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Paralegals expect people to work during the day and that's when I have class. Plus, I doubt law firms want to hire people with a year of law school and no relevant work experience.
I'd still recommend it, on a part-time basis if necessary...don't law firms have interns like most professional offices? Low pay, grunt work, but a foot in the door and 'relevant experience' for future reference. Just a suggestion to consider.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:51 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

They were part of my college meal plan. Unfortunately, good service wasn't part of the plan too.

However, when I used to be able to flip the gluttony switch, lunch left me satisfied.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.