Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Endless appetizers" at TGI Fridays

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by CarolinaCoopers
You must live a pretty sheltered life on the left coast.

TGIF is usually good for a cold beer and the occasional eye candy.
There is usually one located near the hotels when out of town working so a plus after a long day.
Same pattern here. I live in Silicon Valley, and there's a TGIF about 6 miles away (Cupertino). I think the last time I ate there was 10 years ago. I have eaten a few times at other TGIFs since then-- typically while traveling on business in midwestern suburbs when I've settled in to my hotel for the evening and don't want to go more than a few blocks for dinner.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 2:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
So our TGI Friday's in Durham has run out of boneless wings, yet this promotion is going strong. Their solution? Sell chicken nuggets as wings:

Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: I am a lowly ant
Originally Posted by uszkanni
Regardless of quality, back in my college days a few friends and I would've bankrupted the place.

ISTR reading that some dishes in Gordon Ramsay's London restaurants are also pre-cooked, boil in a bag.

Q: What's the difference between boi-in-a-bag and sous vide?
A: About $100 a plate.

Job market willing.
Actually only at his 'gastropubs', which do not claim to be fine dining, nor do they cost $100 a plate.

And boil in the bag is no problem at all, it's cook-chill which is less than ideal.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by CMK10
So our TGI Friday's in Durham has run out of boneless wings, yet this promotion is going strong. Their solution? Sell chicken nuggets as wings:
Dude, you gotta get outta that place....
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Dude, you gotta get outta that place....
That's why I have the CMK10 chant!

Two more years til I'm a lawyer

Plus, this job is going to make it so I can graduate with zero debt and savings. And also, having consumed a lot of Pick 3 For All appetizers
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I'd be curious what the most creative interpretation (or strategic maximization) CMK10 has seen so far is. I started a contest for this on my blog too as I'm fascinated by it.

I don't think any of these are wheat-free, corn-free, MSG-free, nitrate-free so I don't think I'll be eating there so I won't be able to test them out, but I'm morbidly fascinated.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by techgirl
I'd be curious what the most creative interpretation (or strategic maximization) CMK10 has seen so far is. I started a contest for this on my blog too as I'm fascinated by it.

I don't think any of these are wheat-free, corn-free, MSG-free, nitrate-free so I don't think I'll be eating there so I won't be able to test them out, but I'm morbidly fascinated.
We have some creative people here, if you're smart enough, you'll treat your server like a human being and they can help you save money. Do the opposite and they'll find ways to overcharge you.

Btw if you want to use the picture on your blog, you're more than welcome to.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
We have some creative people here, if you're smart enough, you'll treat your server like a human being and they can help you save money. Do the opposite and they'll find ways to overcharge you.

Btw if you want to use the picture on your blog, you're more than welcome to.
Thanks!

And I totally agree with your advice on treating servers well. That's tip #1 beyond all else and I 100% agree. I waited tables from high school to grad school - and also worked in management/audit along the way in a couple fast/fast casual spots - six places in all with five being national chains and one being a local test concept for a regional spot.

Two of those companies were local/regional with under 25 locations when I worked for them - Chilis and Jason's Deli - which I point out as an observation that most large chains were locals once and that you never know when your local place will be the next big thing.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
So our TGI Friday's in Durham has run out of boneless wings, yet this promotion is going strong. Their solution? Sell chicken nuggets as wings
What do you think "boneless wings" are in the first place? They aren't wings. They're just a different type of nugget.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 14, 2014 at 10:07 am Reason: Removed "quote" of photo for the sake of those on low bandwidth
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
What do you think "boneless wings" are in the first place? They aren't wings. They're just a different type of nugget.
Well obviously, but the usual product is a higher quality meat. We're talking school cafeteria style nuggets here. Several guests complained. I talked to the GM and he said that the people he sent to procure chicken did not get what he wanted them to get.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
3101 S El Camino Real
San Mateo, CA 94403
650-570-4684
Still amazed that one reopened after the murder...

(That's my hood.)

Originally Posted by ScottC
If you get diarrhea just from eating processed foods, you need to see your doctor because something is seriously wrong with you.
Given how much of the appetizer fare those sorts of places may be fried, it may just be a case where one is accidentally simulating biliary insufficiency by overloading the body with grease.

Here's a word many of you probably don't really want to know: steatorrhea

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I think the sodium is comparatively worse than the fat. 2 orders of some of those things could induce a stroke on the spot!
While I realize that's hyperbole, acute hypernatremia is unlikely to cause stroke.

Further, while there are certainly long term health risks (including hypertension which can lead to stroke) to having too much salt, the worst case scenario (say, 10g aka 10,000mg of sodium in a meal from two plates there) is nowhere near enough for acute salt poisoning in an adult with normal water intake and healthy kidneys.

Originally Posted by CarolinaCoopers
TGIF is usually good for a cold beer and the occasional eye candy.
Good place for frozen girly drinks; when my wife and I were in college, she liked the SF location for that.

Food was mediocre even by my standards back then, although I'll still eat at them occasionally when traveling if I can't find something better or am stuck at an airport where the alternative is fast food.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
from a review:
They were out of mashed potato. ...!! How can a steakhouse run out of mashed potato..
uhmm, because it isn't a steakhouse!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by uszkanni
Regardless of quality, back in my college days a few friends and I would've bankrupted the place.
Reminds me of the story in college when our star running back took his offensive line out to Old Country Buffet as a thank you for helping him get All-American honors. Apparently the only reason there was no carnage was that the guys ate the carnage, and eventually they were politely asked to leave by management because the buffet needed to be able to provide food to other customers there.

I ate at a Golden Corral in the late 90s in Mayfield, Kentucky. If you didn't want the surprisingly decent strip mall Chinese stuff or chain pizza, there weren't many other options. I remember getting a rotisserie chicken off the buffet that was essentially identical to rotisserie chicken you'd find at an average grocery store. So call the experience thoroughly average and surprisingly inoffensive.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Last time I was at a TGI fridays there was a baby cockroach floating in my water glass. I pointed it out to my server and very nonchalantly she said "oh", and took it away. Guess it was a fairly common occurrence for her.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Hilarious take on testing the limits of "endless" appetizers:

http://gawker.com/my-14-hour-search-...-ap-1606122925

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.