Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are you a "Foodie" that flies somewhere JUST to eat the best meal?

Are you a "Foodie" that flies somewhere JUST to eat the best meal?

Old May 20, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: TG*G , Le Club Platinum
SIN-HKG and a ferry to Macau for Fernando's suckling pig

SIN-BKK , to collect my suit from the tailor and drop by Soi 19 in Pratunam for some wanton noodles.

Comfort food for me, might not be the best for some
Old May 20, 2014, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cubbie
cWoodProd, I get the feeling that you started this thread as research for some article that you're writing. Not that there's anything wrong with that; I just personally prefer it when people are up front about things like that. I notice you've only had six FT posts ever; all in this thread. If I misinterpreted, I apologize.
Oh yes, wasn't trying to hide that fact…just getting some super preliminary research information. May not go anywhere at all. Really new to FlyerTalk.com so wasn't sure of the disclosure protocol. Never my intention to offend. Just wanted to get some enjoyable stories that I could possibly share in the future and have contacted those that have particularly interesting stories.

Thanks so much to all that have shared! Will be contacting more further if we proceed with more research!
Old May 20, 2014, 6:56 pm

Yes...SAN has one of my favorıte persıan restaurant.
Appetızer -eggplant wıth carmelızed onıons. Entree -Cornısh hen wıth rıce and sıde of cajık.
Beverage - fresh squeeze orange juıce.
Old May 25, 2014, 7:52 am

Following the Michelin guidance that some restaurants are worth a journey, I flew Birmingham (UK, not Alabama) to Lyons last year for dinner at Paul Bocuse. An experience but not one I'd repeat for that establishment (three stars too many).
Old May 28, 2014, 8:42 am

Did a week in the south of France just to eat - different starred restaurants for each meal.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
I've been known to fly to New Orleans for the singular purpose of eating chargrilled oysters.
Old May 28, 2014, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does it have to be flying on points? My husband and I bought season tickets to Next in Chicago when we lived in SF. That's three meals a year, each of which required an 1800 mile flight. But we bought those tickets with cash rather than points.
Old May 29, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: IHG Plat
not extreme, but we fly from ONT to OAK every couple months to go to SF for Ikes, for sandwiches, and tomasso's, for pizza. putting that companion pass to good use since its only 5-8k pts RT
Old May 29, 2014, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by indelible
not extreme, but we fly from ONT to OAK every couple months to go to SF for Ikes, for sandwiches,
Wow. I don't get that; we've got one of their locations right next to my work, and I don't particularly like them -- with all the good, crusty, strong sourdough here in the Bay Area, they pick a pale, squishy, mild and nearly crust-less one, and their meat (etc) while good isn't anything special compared to other good sandwich places around here.

I'll usually go an extra block to Sandwich Monkey, which is quicker, sells half-size sandwiches at a lower cost (although their full-size is not far off from Ike's prices), and has a proper crusty sourdough roll... and otherwise very similar quality.

(Both have the silly Bay Area habit of silly names for their sandwiches, sell a full size appropriate for two office workers/3 children/one person at hard labor, although Sandwich Monkey doesn't have the breadth of menu combinations that Ike's does.)

Last edited by nkedel; May 29, 2014 at 12:09 pm
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:55 am

The only time I flew somewhere just to eat was last year. Eleven Madison Park. Actually had both EMP and Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare reservations for that night. Ultimately, canceled Chef's Table because it would take too long to get back to the hotel.

Red eyed on Friday night. Had dinner on Saturday night. Flew back Sunday morning. Could barely taste the food because I was exhausted. EMP has one of the best Manhattan right in front of you.

I learned my lesson.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
The only time I flew somewhere just to eat was last year. Eleven Madison Park. Actually had both EMP and Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare reservations for that night. Ultimately, canceled Chef's Table because it would take too long to get back to the hotel.

Red eyed on Friday night. Had dinner on Saturday night. Flew back Sunday morning. Could barely taste the food because I was exhausted. EMP has one of the best Manhattan right in front of you.

I learned my lesson.
Am i missing something?

Not that I don't believe you but I'm just trying to comprehend what you said. You are telling us you ate the $500+ not going to BF? Pretty sure they don't give refunds, especially on a same day cancelled reservation. I too love to travel to eat but I can't imagine making a reservation for BF and EMP for the same day. Let alone cancelling on the one that charges you whether you show up or not.

Last edited by jologolf; Jun 12, 2014 at 11:08 am
Old Jun 12, 2014, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by jologolf
Am i missing something?

Not that I don't believe you but I'm just trying to comprehend what you said. You are telling us you ate the $500+ not going to BF? Pretty sure they don't give refunds, especially on a same day cancelled reservation. I too love to travel to eat but I can't imagine making a reservation for BF and EMP for the same day. Let alone cancelling on the one that charges you whether you show up or not.
Oh, I canceled BF once I firmed up my choice. I didn't say it was a last minute cancellation.
The concierge at Chase was able to get me in both places in the same night.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Following the Michelin guidance that some restaurants are worth a journey, I flew Birmingham (UK, not Alabama) to Lyons last year for dinner at Paul Bocuse. An experience but not one I'd repeat for that establishment (three stars too many).
I once spent an extra night in Lyon to make the pilgrimage to Bocuse. I would have been disappointed had I expected the ultimate sublime meal. It was more in the line of nostalgic culinary research/homage.

My trip from NY to l'Auberge de l'Ill, now over 20 years ago, was a trip I made primarily for a lunch date. But I tacked on a week in another destination after that.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
We flew from ORD to DCA for lunch a couple of years ago. The flight was cheap and we had a taste for carne asada and swirl Margaritas at Lauriol Plaza. Hardly the "best" meal, but tasty and fun and it was the only thing we did in DC.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:12 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
We flew from ORD to DCA for lunch a couple of years ago. The flight was cheap and we had a taste for carne asada and swirl Margaritas at Lauriol Plaza. Hardly the "best" meal, but tasty and fun and it was the only thing we did in DC.
Other peers at my school raved about their margaritas, but back then there wasn't much else around. The food was not good at best, and the service much, much worse.

I kept noticing a Nepalese restaurant in the vicinity, but for some reason never went. At least now I've got Jackson Heights (NYC) nearby.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.