Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are you a "Foodie" that flies somewhere JUST to eat the best meal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are you a "Foodie" that flies somewhere JUST to eat the best meal?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Denver

I'm in Denver right now, bound for Houston from DC. I didn't use FF miles, but I did SDC from IAD-IAH to IAD-DEN-IAH to get some New Belgium Summer Helles. Oh, and some extra RDM/PQM and an upgrade to First.
Old May 16, 2014, 1:24 pm

I don't think I've ever gone somewhere beyond a 30 mile radius just for food, but I do try to get the best meal possible in the towns I visit.
Old May 16, 2014, 1:40 pm

Flew a couple of years back from SNA to PDX just to spend the day in Portland
and enjoy some Voodoo Doughnuts.
Old May 16, 2014, 2:39 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Yes I have. I have gone to ORD and NYC several times on food trips. The main point of these trips are R&D and to have awesome food!

On a side note, I have never seen somebody order as much food as we did on these trips. We would go to upwards of 4 or 5 restaurants a night and order 20-25 dishes!
Old May 16, 2014, 3:47 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
LGA-YYZ for dim sum. While there had afternoon tea and then Peking Duck dinner before flying back down the next morning (with a peameal ham breakfast sandwich. LGA-YUL for smoked meat sandwich and for dinner at Pied de cochon. Did a few HKG-TPE runs for Ding Tai Fung and HKG-BKK for duck noodle soup from a particular street stall when a pregnant friend had a craving and there just happened to be a fare sale. Plus quite a few other intra-Asia dining runs when there are fare/point sales.
Old May 16, 2014, 4:39 pm

Last Labor Day my brother and I used my SW companion pass and points and his SPG points to fly from NY to San Antonio, drive to Lockhart to have Kreuz's, Smitty's, and Blacks, and then drive on to Austin to have Franklin's (waited on 4.5 hr line, lots of beer and awesome people) for 36 hours. This Labor Day we're using the same points to go to Nola for a 72 hr eating fest (Commanders, August, Willie Mae's, maybe Cochon, GW Fins, and more to be determined later).
Old May 16, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i am not a foodie but i would do this if i had miles.. i mean why not?
Old May 17, 2014, 3:23 am
uk1
Suspended

I don't know whether this rates as the most bizarre. But it must be "up there".

Two or three times every year we travel BA F for a three week'ish stay in a top suite in Singapore, just for the hawker food and food centres. We almost never eat in restaurants. Just local street food. That is the main reason for the trips.
Old May 17, 2014, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by uk1
I don't know whether this rates as the most bizarre. But it must be "up there".

Two or three times every year we travel BA F for a three week'ish stay in a top suite in Singapore, just for the hawker food and food centres. We almost never eat in restaurants. Just local street food. That is the main reason for the trips.
Nothing bizarre here. Although not travelling to SIN only for this purpouse, I mostly try to find an extra day or two, when connecting at SIN to savour hawker food.

The only bad news: The wine lists are, to say the least, very limited
Old May 17, 2014, 4:24 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by onobond
Nothing bizarre here. Although not travelling to SIN only for this purpouse, I mostly try to find an extra day or two, when connecting at SIN to savour hawker food.

The only bad news: The wine lists are, to say the least, very limited
Our cunning plan beats that. Never drink wine out. It is far too expensive. Happy (comatose ) Two Hours in The IC Club lounge ... and then out.

To be honest most of our eating is midday ... and we tend to eat lighter in the evenings.

I adore ... Singapore ....! Hold on ... have I just devised a perfect advertising slogan?
Old May 17, 2014, 5:16 am

Franklin BBQ

I flew from Ft Lauderdale to Austin Texas for the purpose BBQ indulgence - Visited the Salt lick and Franklin BBQ where we waited in line for 2 hours just to consume Aaron's award winning brisket.
Old May 17, 2014, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
I just flew HKG-TPE-KIX (had to do the 1-stop cuz ANA has a 4 day ticketing deadline and the nonstop arrives too late!) yesterday to meet kixman and fumitani with the trip's sole purpose to eat.. but of course I would be doing sth else too?
menu: High-grade yakiniku and shabu shabu. probably Sushi too.

PS: a lil bit of MR also involved- ITM-HND-HKG on the way back. the ITM-HND MR in F would eventually bring me into OWE-land.
Old May 17, 2014, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We fly to the UK every year to buy HP Sauce and other edible delights not available here. Don't tell my relations that though as they think we really go to see them.
Always have a fish supper as well when I'm there.
Old May 18, 2014, 1:24 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by HIDDY
We fly to the UK every year to buy HP Sauce and other edible delights not available here. Don't tell my relations that though as they think we really go to see them.
Always have a fish supper as well when I'm there.
I still have a stock of HP sauce from the earlier original factory. Way past it's date but perfect. Completely different from the rubbish coming from the new factory. And they have even reduced the salt ...

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/BUSINESS/03/16/hp.sauce/
Old May 18, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Hmmmmm...Don't know if we've done it for the *best* food, but we've done it for weird and interesting food.

We just flew from BWI to DSM because we saw a place called ZombieBurger on The Food Channel.

They have a deep fried mac & cheese bun for their burgers. mmmmm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.