Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:12 am
uk1
Suspended

Looks like it's in a waffle.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by uk1
I does, doesn't it? With a tomato thrown in there to make it "healthy" .
I think that it combines all of the food groups in one sandwich!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by uk1
It is. Taco Bell is using waffles for breakfast sandwiches too - folded to look like a taco and endorsed by "Ronald McDonald."

http://www.tacobell.com/breakfast?gc...FWEV7AodWwEAaQ
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I'm the same way, I have detested every meat substitute product I've tried, however the soy chorizo made by Cacique is very good IF (repeat if) mixed with other items: http://caciqueinc.com/products/cacique-soy-chorizo
-
Hmm, thanks for the tip. It can't hurt to check it out and it can always be used in queso fundido (anything can be good when it's smothered in cheese).
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Regarding the vegetarian chorizo substitute, be warned that it has a detectable sweetness to it that is not found in real chorizo. I know the few times I've used it for veg guests, I found the flavor "wrong" enough to be off-putting. Ymmv.

Also, if avoiding real chorizo because of the pork, there is a beef chorizo available, at least in SoCal. It tastes a little different, but still far better than the veg stuff IMHO.

Finally, for those who may not be aware, we are talking about Mexican chorizo, which is a radically different beast from the more widely recognized Portuguese-style choriço. They are not interchangeable and should never be confused
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:52 pm

I was tempted to PM Sweet Willie but figured that I'd post on the thread in case anyone was tempted to try the breakfast concoction.

I made it this morning & it was really good. Not in the same league as a baconeggandcheese but I found it to be more satisfying. This is going to become one of my go to quick breakfast grabs.

I did try the recipe with vegetarian chorizo. I couldn't find the brand mentioned upthread so I used something called Soyrizo (oh you should have seen my husband's horrified expression when he found THAT in the fridge). While it barely qualified as a solid and had to be squeezed out of it's casing the smell was "right" and it added another level of spice to the mix.

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Regarding the vegetarian chorizo substitute, be warned that it has a detectable sweetness to it that is not found in real chorizo. I know the few times I've used it for veg guests, I found the flavor "wrong" enough to be off-putting.
There was some sweetness there but with everything else going on in this mix it was OK. I wasn't under any illusion that I was eating chorizo but it definitely worked in with anything else. Nor was my brain screaming "fake meat!!!". I used white corn tortillas which have their own sweetness from the corn and everything worked.

Now I'm wondering if Soyrizo would work instead of chili on a baconeggandcheese? Blasphemy, I know.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:35 am
uk1
Suspended

A bacon sandwich in brioche ...

Last edited by uk1; Apr 19, 2014 at 2:47 am
Old Apr 19, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Originally Posted by rsqrott
Now I'm wondering if Soyrizo would work instead of chili on a baconeggandcheese? Blasphemy, I know.
Don't do it! Life is worth living! Now, slowly walk away from the stove...
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: AA
I just emailed a link to this thread to myself to remind me to try making Sweet Willie's goop tortilla, which just might change my mind about not bothering to eat breakfast in the morning. Just wondering, Willie, what brand of chorizo do you like to use in that recipe?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:56 am

Ham, egg and extra sharp cheddar on a toasted, buttered pretzel roll this a.m. Yum!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:38 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rsqrott
I was tempted to PM Sweet Willie but figured that I'd post on the thread in case anyone was tempted to try the breakfast concoction.

I made it this morning & it was really good. Not in the same league as a baconeggandcheese but I found it to be more satisfying.
breakfast concoction is such a better word than goop glad you liked it.
Originally Posted by cubbie
Just wondering, Willie, what brand of chorizo do you like to use in that recipe?
I prefer to buy my chorizo in the local Mexican markets (most every market has in house made) near my home, can't beat the usual <$2lb price.
Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Finally, for those who may not be aware, we are talking about Mexican chorizo, which is a radically different beast from the more widely recognized Portuguese-style choriço. They are not interchangeable and should never be confused
I think the Portuguese vs Mexican chorizo recognition is based upon where one lives. It is assumed here in Chicago that the mention of chorizo is Mexican not the Portuguese variety. I would have thought that LA having a heavy Hispanic population it would have been the same.

About the only time I know or at least assume that I'm having Portuguese Chorizo is when it is with mussels or seafood dish.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:15 am

Is Portuguese chorizo the same as the Portuguese sausage one finds all over Hawaii or are they two different things?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Is Portuguese chorizo the same as the Portuguese sausage one finds all over Hawaii or are they two different things?
That's probably linguica.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
That's probably linguica.
OK, Is Portuguese chorizo the same as the linguica one finds all over Hawaii or are they two different things?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:52 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
OK, Is Portuguese chorizo the same as the linguica one finds all over Hawaii or are they two different things?
two different things.

Portuguese chorizo is a firm product, generally similar in texture to a salami. Paprika is a prominent flavor.

Linquica is softer, crumbles easier and is a sweeter flavor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.