Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Photographing meals - intellectual property theft?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Photographing meals - intellectual property theft?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Have you noticed chefs bark at foreigners for taking photos in Japan? There are plenty of restaurants where the chef's holier-than-thou reputation precedes him, which would include getting disgruntled for whatever reason with non-Japanese speakers.

In a similar vein, at a few restaurants in China, my Chinese counterparts took plenty of photos of their meals, but when I did it I suddenly entered scorn city.

Regardless of these instances, I've had more success overseas than with UA...
LOL, no I've never been given a hard time for taking pictures of food here, but then again I'm not a big food picture taker anyway. Usually it's whoever I'm on a date with doing it, who is Japanese so perhaps passes the muster being worthy. Pretty much the only time I do it is in premium classes when flying or something really unusual in other countries.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:42 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dvs7310
LOL, no I've never been given a hard time for taking pictures of food here, but then again I'm not a big food picture taker anyway. Usually it's whoever I'm on a date with doing it, who is Japanese so perhaps passes the muster being worthy. Pretty much the only time I do it is in premium classes when flying or something really unusual in other countries.
Have a link to some examples?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 11:58 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by ou81two
You really need to look up IP laws. Incidentally, theft and IP are two different things. The only theft that might happen is if you grabbed the plate and ran out the door without paying.
I don't think the OP wrote the article in question. That said, your statement "theft and IP are two different things" is a little confusing. No one said they were synonymous. But misappropriation of trade secrets -- a form of intellectual property theft -- is a legally recognized concept in the eyes of the law. But only chefs seem to believe it's occurring when a diner takes a photograph of a meal.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:17 pm

While I don't see the need to ban the photographing of food (as it's just ridiculous); if the owner of any private property wishes to ban all photography within the premises then they are free to do so.

Also (in the UK at least) there is a big difference between taking a photograph of something for private use, and taking a photograph of something for commercial use.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Well, I got back a few days ago from about 5 days in Florence and Rome. In honor of this thread I photographed about every course of every meal. No one said a word I should add.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.