Search

Do you eat food fresher than fresh?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by beckoa
Have dug up my own razor clam before in Alaska and bit off a piece of its digger foot freshly washed off in the briny ocean. It was rather sweet.
Having that in mind for my next ANC MR.

How far from ANC would you need to travel to experience this?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by onobond
Having that in mind for my next ANC MR.

How far from ANC would you need to travel to experience this?
A scenic 4 hour drive (or 7H will speed this up if you like )
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I have eaten my share of raw clams, but that's about it.

However, having moved to a coastal town with a resident fishing fleet, we are treated to just off the boat snapper, grouper and shrimp almost any time we want it. I prefer it hot off the grill though. If I was an oyster fan, I suppose I'd be in heaven, but can't stand the texture.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:26 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
All: If you have an answer to the op's question, feel free to civilly and respectfully post.

If you want to debate meat-ending/veganism/vegetarianism/etc., then please start a thread in OMNI to do so. Posts that are no on-topic, therefore, for this thread have been deleted.

Thanks,

cblaisd
Moderator, Dining Buzz
Old Mar 14, 2014, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by tng11
And it's true that frozen fish can sometimes be better than "fresh" fish as many of us may know it. The latter can sometimes have been sitting outside for a while at varying temperatures and handled poorly, whereas frozen fish, if flash frozen correctly can be better. I believe for instance, most, of not all premium-grade tuna consumed in Japan is frozen at sea to preserve the integrity of the flesh/taste before being delivered.
Depends on the fishery, but usually it's chilled rather than frozen. A couple of the New Zealand fishing companies developed a transport method for blue fin tuna whereby they caught and stored it live for shipping to Japan. Can't get fresher than that for when it reaches market.

Of the ones on the slides, I've seen most of the Japanese ones and they always pretty much freaked me out. I don't like my food running around the plate at me. And uni is just disgusting anyway.

One I saw in Japan, but that wasn't on the slides, was a shabushabu recipe where towards the end you threw a sodding great lump of tofu fresh from the fridge into the broth, turn the heat way back up, and then drop half a dozen small live fish (no idea what kind, but ~3-5cms) into the pot as well. They freak out and burrow into the tofu because it's still cool inside. And then they (usually) die and you have fresh fish with your tofu as you spoon it into the bowl for the last course.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 8:03 am

The Korean delicacy sannakji is a dish made from a small octopus that’s chopped up and served to diners while it’s still alive and squirming — patrons enjoy feeling the suckers (or suction cups on the octopus’s arms) sticking to their tongues and throats while they chew.
if you're letting the suckers do this, you're doing it very, very wrong. people die from swallowing tentacles that stick to their throats.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
One I saw in Japan, but that wasn't on the slides, was a shabushabu recipe where towards the end you threw a sodding great lump of tofu fresh from the fridge into the broth, turn the heat way back up, and then drop half a dozen small live fish (no idea what kind, but ~3-5cms) into the pot as well. They freak out and burrow into the tofu because it's still cool inside. And then they (usually) die and you have fresh fish with your tofu as you spoon it into the bowl for the last course.
There's a Thai version of this but instead of tofu they use some sort of water spinach/morning glory/hollow stemmed veggie into which the fish run.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
@ TYO DO II and went with several others to a restaurant specializing in seafood. I ordered a 4 variety assortment of sashimi. One of the fish came out with the full body, with cut fillets relocated on top. The fish proceeded to move its gills and mouth Tasty indeed.

I'll let others post pics
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
I used to eat slices of fresh yellowfin tuna that I caught on the way back into port. A couple of years ago I read about the nasty stuff that resides in some tuna, and why it is frozen by law...then thawed. That put an end to that practice.

Still nothing better than fish prepared the same day that I catch it. I can absolutely taste the difference.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:24 am

We love fresher than fresh oysters but everything else must be a former whatever-it-was, pining-for-the-fjords, and all that.

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 19, 2014 at 12:42 pm Reason: Removed potentially inflammatory comment/characterization more apt for OMNI/PR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.