Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is your favourite fast food in Asia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your favourite fast food in Asia?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2014, 1:10 am

Is it the same Yoshinoya that's scattered around SoCal?
Old May 11, 2014, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by steveman518
Is it the same Yoshinoya that's scattered around SoCal?
Yep, they're in Japan, China and Indonesia for sure. Probably in many other countries.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
The Japanese fast food chain that I would most love to see in Europe is

http://www.omusubi-gonbei.com

Company makes rice "balls" with an array of fillings but takes a lot of care in sourcing and preparing rice that can be enjoyed alone.

Came back to this because I now understand it is a Japanese variation of the Taiwanese chain QQ Rice?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Another vote here for Mos Burger. In fact, reminding me of that was enough to just convince me now to start looking for a fare back to Japan for autumn as it's been far, far too long since I've been there properly.

Back to the food, I also kinda liked Lotteria when I was last there. They were universally kinda seedy places and it somehow made the burgers more of an adventure. "Will I get food poisoning this time or not...?" Aside from that, lots of the road side chahan places get my vote every time. Quick, usually delicious, guaranteed to kill you.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Got to be Pad Thai
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Back to the food, I also kinda liked Lotteria when I was last there. They were universally kinda seedy places and it somehow made the burgers more of an adventure. "Will I get food poisoning this time or not...?"
Lotteria is great, especially the fries. The train station closest to my apartment in Nishinomiya has a Lotteria on the first floor, and I have stopped there for a burger+fries waaay too many times. Never found any of their locations particularly unsanitary-looking, though.

As for the main topic, I've got to go with 煎饼 jian bing. Grabbed one (or sometimes two...) from a street vendor every morning back when I was living in Beijing.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:02 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Scifience

As for the main topic, I've got to go with 煎饼 jian bing. Grabbed one (or sometimes two...) from a street vendor every morning back when I was living in Beijing.
During my two short spells in Beijing, the 煎饼 with 油条 (fried, chewy batons of bread) was a daily staple. However, I was never too keen on the gossamer-thin plastic bag in which they were served...
Old Jun 5, 2014, 2:08 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
If we're limiting ourselves to chains, I'm a fan of Ootoya for Japanese food. (Apparently they also have locations in Thailand, Taiwan, and in NYC.)
Old Jun 13, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Back to the food, I also kinda liked Lotteria when I was last there. They were universally kinda seedy places and it somehow made the burgers more of an adventure. "Will I get food poisoning this time or not...?" Aside from that, lots of the road side chahan places get my vote every time. Quick, usually delicious, guaranteed to kill you.
Kraze Burger is still the Korean champion in my books, Lotteria products tend to be soggy...
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The duck dishes of Nanjing especially the "Nanjing salted duck." I much prefer it over its more famous (outside of China) cousin the Peking duck.

Crap I skimmed over the title and didn't see the thread is about "fast food" Oh well.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA, DL
KFC!

This might sound funny but KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) in Asia is actually quite different from the KFC we have in America and worth a try if anyone gets the chance. There are little things about the KFC's in that side of the world that make you realize that you're in an Asian country, such as the addition of rice as a side, or soy sauce and/or sesame flavored chicken. Even the presentation of the food is nicer, I might add.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jason Tan
This might sound funny but KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) in Asia is actually quite different from the KFC we have in America and worth a try if anyone gets the chance. There are little things about the KFC's in that side of the world that make you realize that you're in an Asian country, such as the addition of rice as a side, or soy sauce and/or sesame flavored chicken. Even the presentation of the food is nicer, I might add.
Really? I didn't know that. In Singapore, we have the likes of Malioboro Soft Bone Chicken, where we eat the bones as well as the meat, so it's all much different to what people experience in the US.

By the way, I am up to part 5 of this fast food in Singapore now, if anyone's interested: http://backpackerlee.wordpress.com/2...gapore-part-5/
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Definitely BreadTalk. I was in Singapore again in May and made sure to frequent the store. The Golden Nacho Cheese is to die for!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
I love getting a bento box from Hotto Motto (Hokka Hokka) when I have work in Japan/Okinawa.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Part 6 http://backpackerlee.wordpress.com/2...gapore-part-6/

Bento boxes are surprisingly rare in Singapore. I do love their takoyaki though, especially Gindaco. You ever try that in Osaka? I think that's where it originated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.