What Restaurants Do You Miss ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Restaurants Do You Miss ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by TMOliver
The early TGIFridays on Dallas's Greenville Ave., a classic "meat rack" quite different than the poor food and worse company of the current manifestations.

The early "Steak and Ales", with which Norman Brinker implemented the concept of consistent food and drink for business travelers.

My childhood favorite, the old San Jacinto Inn, cold boiled shrimp and crap, followed by fried chicken or friend fish.
Yum! Sounds lovely...
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Jai Alai and Kahiki in Columbus. Also G.D. Ritzy's (regional chain similar to Steak n' Shake, although one still may exist in Huntington, WV).
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:53 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Wetson’s.

There was something about those hamburgers at the location on Flatlands Avenue and East 78 Street in Canarsie that I really enjoyed when I was growing up...
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:13 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A little Italian bistro in Durham called L'uva closed. Not only was the good and service good, but they were located right near the Durham Performing Arts Center and they were great for a pre-theater meal
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Lakeview Pizza in Kings Beach (Lake Tahoe), CA
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: BA
Werners Bistro - near Eastgate / Bedfordview in Johannesburg - great food, great staff and great fun.
The Three Acres Inn, Shelley, Huddersfield - brilliant food since the early 1970s.
Must re-visit both of them!
And O'Rourkes, New Arlesford, Hampshire - wonderful evening meals on the way back from my childhood summer holidays. Sadly long gone.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, Lifetime Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
I don't know that restaurant, but your post got me thinking that fondue restaurants in general aren't so common in the US any more. (Only the Melting Pot chain comes to mind off hand.)

Switching topics, does anyone remember the Magic Pan crepe chain? (I was a fan, though maybe I was too young to have developed refined taste buds.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magic_Pan

In addition to delicious crepes, The Magic Pan had the best Monte Cristo sandwich served with jelly and sour cream on the side and I still crave their chocolate mousse.

Chez Paul, a divine French restaurant in Maui, had been open for 41 years when it closed in 2009. Such a loss!
Old Jun 17, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: ex-ExPlat, AA Lifetime Platinum
In San Francisco I miss the food and the great mix of people that frequented Original Joe's in the Tenderloin. The one in San Jose is O.K. for food but the atmosphere is way different…no Willie Brown or Herb Caen types. The same goes for Washington Bar and Grill in North Beach.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: DL Pl (2 m miler) AA, UA, Marriott Pl Life, Hilton Diamond Life, SPG Gold Life, IHG Spire Ambassador
Snuffy's Steak House, NJ

Snuffy's in northern NJ was an old fashioned steak house, old school means 1940/50. Lots of wood, leather, booths. Wait staff were in suites and black uniforms with starched white aprons. In the middle of the main room was a huge bar. In the middle of that was a large Hammond organ, just like the one at home. Lots of old standards and show tunes. Dad had made friends with the organist. As a young kid it was always fun to go up to the bar with Dad to talk music with the organist. He had these huge "cheat books" with a few lines of most of the old favorites, so when a request was made he most likely could play it. Oh, the food: excellent. The minced steak was always ordered for me and my sisters. The fries were fried with some steak trimmings, the best I have ever had. And the cokes came from the bar in bar glassware with a cherry!
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
While both are chains that still exist, I miss the El Chico's and Pancho's in Amarillo.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:21 am

This topic immediately brought to mind of the best breakfast we ever had that was at Lulu's in Waikiki. It's an open air restaurant on the corner of Waikiki Beach and Kapiolani Park. We sat at the window seats eating our stuffed French toast and had views of Diamond Head and the beach. Lots of the surfers were carrying their boards down to start their day. Just delightful after a long plane ride to Hawaii! One of these days we'll get back there, I hope it's still there when we do!
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:37 am

Danzer's in Syracuse and Heid's in Liverpool (both NY)

Danzers's hamlet sandwich (like a reuben but with ham) and Heid's coney dogs - wonderful food.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA, OW
Ron's Camino Real in Albuquerque, NM near the airport. My husband & I had a standing agreement that if one of us was in town after 3 pm, we were to pick up a carry out meal to bring home. Of course, we enjoyed eating at Ron's and chatting with the many pilots we'd be seated next to. Our favorite meal which Ron's was famous for was his Carne Adovada Enchiladas smothered in his amazing red chile sauce! Once while dining there, we heard one pilot suggest to his co-pilot to order 2 scoops of ice cream for dessert. The pilot asked why and his friend replied "one scoop to eat and one scoop to sit on!" Sadly, Ron's closed about 10 years ago and we've never found anything quite as good…..altho Sadie's and Gardunos are a decent substitute.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA, OW
Yes, the Trader Vic's & Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor both in International Market Place in Waikiki….what fun they were in the 70's!
Old Jun 17, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Hyatt Regency, Coral Gables - hotel is still there but the chef from 25 yrs ago is gone: Breakfast Bread Pudding made with cream, fresh peaches and fresh blueberries served in a ramekin with heavy cream poured over. We entered the dining room the first time and half the tables were eating them. Three years later - gone!

Luigi's Cheese Steaks, Willow Grove, PA circa 1958. Best cheese steaks in Philadelphia area.

Jean's Hoagies, Mayfair neighborhood, Phila, PA - best hoagies

Masa's, San Francisco circa 2000

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.