Best upscale chain steakhouse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best upscale chain steakhouse?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I prefer grilling steaks myself, but Wildfire is excellent when I feel like going out. Best ribeye I've found in the $35-40 price range.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
I prefer grilling steaks myself, but Wildfire is excellent when I feel like going out. Best ribeye I've found in the $35-40 price range.
I like Wildfire too, especially the chopped salad. It's one of those places about which I always forget. I think it's the kind of out of the way in Chicago that makes me forget about it.

If anyone is a fan of Fleming's and lives in Illinois (a few other states are eligible too),be sure to join Dine Rewards. There's no cost to join and they send coupons via your account. You can use these coupons at Fleming's and the other Bloomin' Brands restaurants.

Here's the link:

https://www.dine-rewards.com/
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
I have always been a fan of Flemmings, especially, the happy hour menu. I will put Gibson's Oak brook or Capital grille ahead of it but, like a few others here I will now track down DF on Oak Street, after the reviews it has been getting here. Not crazy about Gibson's on Rush.

I grill a good steak too but its not always easy to get restaurant prime meat.

I have a gift card from Allen Brothers that I have yet to use. Anyone here have an opinion to offer on them?

Thanks
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Ceres
I have always been a fan of Flemmings, especially, the happy hour menu. I will put Gibson's Oak brook or Capital grille ahead of it but, like a few others here I will now track down DF on Oak Street, after the reviews it has been getting here. Not crazy about Gibson's on Rush.

I grill a good steak too but its not always easy to get restaurant prime meat.

I have a gift card from Allen Brothers that I have yet to use. Anyone here have an opinion to offer on them?

Thanks
I am a fan and have always been happy to receive gift cards for use there. That said, I can get Prime beef at my local Whole Foods, so I haven't shopped at Allen Bros. in a long, long time. But I don't think you can go wrong with any thing you order there.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dchristiva
I am a fan and have always been happy to receive gift cards for use there. That said, I can get Prime beef at my local Whole Foods, so I haven't shopped at Allen Bros. in a long, long time. But I don't think you can go wrong with any thing you order there.

Thanks ill give that a try. I can get prime at Costco but the quality does not compare with steak houses it seems.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Thanks ill give that a try. I can get prime at Costco but the quality does not compare with steak houses it seems.
Those thick Costco tenderloins grilled on my BBQ often surpass so-called filet mignons from non-steakhouse restaurants. However it is hard to top most of the establishments recommended here.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Hard to compete with good dry aged beef as far as flavor and tenderness goes. If you're trying to truly rival some of the best steaks you've eaten in a restaurant, Costco probably shouldn't be where you buy your steaks. I say this as someone who grills lots of more-than-decent steaks from Costco... they're perfectly fine, but not extraordinary.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:18 pm

Del Fresico's here in Chicago. Love the Wagyu longbone steak
Old Jan 23, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
For a national chain with several locations, Capital Grille is probably my favorite. The bone in kona crusted filet with shallot butter is amazing.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Hard to compete with good dry aged beef as far as flavor and tenderness goes. If you're trying to truly rival some of the best steaks you've eaten in a restaurant, Costco probably shouldn't be where you buy your steaks. I say this as someone who grills lots of more-than-decent steaks from Costco... they're perfectly fine, but not extraordinary.
Yes they are way more than decent at Costco. I buy a lot of meat there and it's very competitively priced.

And your right it's hard to beat dry aged beef. The only think I've had a couple times that was close, I friend who owned a restaurant would occasionally order be a pony of prime ribeye from his supplier and his chef would cut it for me three fingers thick .... It was close, But it was way too expensive to do more than once a year, so I quit doing that as some of the loins didn't beat Costco standards by much and were a lot more money
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:53 am

2 more "chains" to consider.

BLT Steak
Strip House
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Ate at the Palm in Philadelphia last night. Pretty lame.

The really bad part was the service. Our first server had no clue whatsoever - came to ask the table about drinks, the first person said "I'd just like some water" and he DISAPPEARED, returning with water for everyone. Before the rest of us could give him our orders he disappeared again. Later he sort of came back and someone said "could I have a wine list" (which, of course, should have been on the table from the beginning) and he brought it but again immediately disappeared before we had a chance to stop him for actual drink orders.

Finally, someone else came over and we were able to successfully order drinks. Then the appetizers came before our pre-dinner drinks, then the bottle of wine came before the drinks. Everything just off.

And, the prices on the wines are beyond belief. I dine out alot, order wines in many places. These wines were at least twice the price in other places, putting them at about 8 times retail in some cases. Unacceptable.

The food? I'd forgotten before I left the restaurant.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:21 pm

Morton's and Ruth's Chris pretty much tie for me when it comes to steakhouses.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
1. Ruth's Chris
2. Capital Grille
3. Morton's

37. Fleming
38. Smith & Wollensky
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:02 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by milepig
And, the prices on the wines are beyond belief. I dine out alot, order wines in many places. These wines were at least twice the price in other places, putting them at about 8 times retail in some cases. Unacceptable.
+1
Originally Posted by BlueStreak17
Plenty of people go to steakhouses.
masses also support McDonald's, Red Lobster, etc.
Originally Posted by BlueStreak17
Why would you say going to one means one "lacks culture"?
I'm going to guess "lacks culture" was not the correct term the poster you quoted was looking for. I'd say the poster was attempting to describe a more a vanilla or unimaginative/unadventurous diner, but this isn't just a symptom of the suburbs, most diners are not adventurous.

For example, having worked for a major food manufacturer, it would kill me when the National Restaurant Show was in town & my associates would choose a steakhouse over all the other amazing dining options in Chicago, are you kidding me!!??? We are in the food business & the spot being chosen for dinner is not a cutting edge place for new flavors/products/presentation.

So as stated, a steakhouse is vanilla/chocolate, it pleases most because it isn't offensive, a steakhouse serves items that most diners are familiar with which is very important to a lot of diners.

I'll enjoy a steakhouse dinner a couple times per year, usually business dinners, and if I have to provide a vote for a National steakhouse chain, I'll vote for Flemings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.