Wiki Posts
Search

Airports & Chocolates

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Ghentleman
More on BRU: if you want to buy just chocolate (tablets), there is a Delhaize supermarket on the arrivals level. They also have beer. Prices a little inflated compared to other supermarkets but still reasonable. Be aware: most foodstuffs (including chocolate and beer) will not be allowed in your carry-on, you will need to check it in.
Why doesn't BRU allow chocolate in carry-on? I have never experienced this issue after 9/11 even with chocolate filled with liquor.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:13 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Originally Posted by Sant
Why doesn't BRU allow chocolate in carry-on? I have never experienced this issue after 9/11 even with chocolate filled with liquor.
Security likes to keep the chocolate for themselves.
While not explicitly prohibited, some agents would argue that they fall into the "liquids and gels" category (like cheese).
The chocolate bought after security is allowed of course.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 5:04 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I usually buy anywhere from 15-20 400 gram bars of toblerone chocolate from the duty free at LGW whenever I go to the subcontinent.This means that I might have upto 8 kg of toblerone chocolate in my carry on .

I know its cheaper outside but since I buy the chocolate after check in, its not included in my luggage allowance. The big 400g bars in the subcontinent cost at least 3-4 times the price at LGW and are always appreciated by everyone I give it to.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
MXP now has Venchi... one of my favorites!!!
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Sant
Originally Posted by Ghentleman
Security likes to keep the chocolate for themselves.
While not explicitly prohibited, some agents would argue that they fall into the "liquids and gels" category (like cheese).
The chocolate bought after security is allowed of course.
I've never had an issue taking food/chocolates through security, including the ones with liquid centers.

In terms of buying chocolates at BRU, the major brands are all represented, but if you're going to the trouble don't buy a major brand but instead seek on one of the fantastic local shops in Brussels instead. Handmade and fresh - many of the major brands are produced in large factories. They're still good, but not quite "as good".

I once picked up a fantastic variety pack of KitKats at NRT. Very much fun, but the last time I only saw the green tea.

WAW has a nice selection of Polish candies, many of which are very good and something unusual to take home. I'm quite fond of the chocolate covered flavored marshmallows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.