Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone else use a pressure cooker?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:59 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

I haven't used mine since I bought it ...... and posted in October ...

There is no substitute for very slow cooking .....

Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I've used pressure cookers for the 1st time in my life. Seems to be an item any French vacation rental is outfitted with (of course, not the current and 6th one I'm staying in).

Not too bad for making soups but not that great for braising with wine. The alcohol doesn't evaporate so when you open it, you get an overpowering smell of alcohol.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by onobond
Actually having a pressure cooker stoved in the cellar. It was a gift in the past, never used. Might consider using it after some tips in this thread...
Oh I used to have mine stoved in the cellar too- it was too big and I didn't like it but recently I've bought smth like multi cooker Redmond M 4502 and I've fallen in love with it. it's got more functions than an ordinary PC. I make yoghurt, bake, stew, fry,steam and use MULTICOOK mode to set the temperature by myself)))
Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
Absolutely love mine for making stews, after I got over the initial fear of using it.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
My MIL used to come home from work and get a dinner on the table for her husband and 5 kids ASAP. She always cooked the vegetables in a pressure cooker to expediency's sake.

I got one as a wedding gift in 1976. I don't recall doing anything fancy with it but if you needed to cook something fast and didn't care it it was overcooked, it was the way to go. I abandoned it after we got our first microwave oven.

I can still hear the sound it made when you cooled it rapidly under running cold water.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:21 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Cooking vegetables in a pressure cooker.

That certainly is expedient.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:33 am
Suspended

Reminds me of my favourite saying when someone reckons they're stressed and under pressure - " pressure is for tyres,cookers and blow-up women. "
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Speaking of which, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev just had his trial postponed 2 months.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:45 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I fondly remember my Dad managing to explode our pressure cooker (this would have been some time in the 80s) and melting the Formica worksurface. It still proudly bore bubbles after this incident as we moved out of the house.

When we moved to France in the mid-80s, we discovered Moroccan food, well before it reached the UK. In particular, couscous. It was always a dish in its own right - not a general accompanying carb - and always had a particular lamb or mutton stew with it. My Mum got some recipes before we left France and managed to make incredible mutton stews and broths in the pressure cooker, whether Moroccan or Scottish. So, very fond memories.

But I don't use one. I don't really eat that much meat these days, and everything else can be cooked much more quickly (or left to marinate relatively easily).
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Best way to cook Beef Rendang (http://rasamalaysia.com/beef-rendang...endang-daging/).
15 mins and you get meat that melts in your mouth...

And if you cant be bothered to get all the ingredients to make the paste, your local Asian Store should have the paste pre-packed.
^, I love Rendang. Pressure cooker make it much easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.