Who Still Drinks With Lunch?

Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by Miesque
^ Very much agree with the sign and your course of action
+1
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:58 am

Weekends is the best time to indulge in drinks with lunch. Mostly wines and maybe beer if you're at the game.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CMK10
Lunch yesterday:

Is BBQ without beer even BBQ at all?
I don't think anyone from Germany would recognise 95% of what's on that plate (eh, basket)!
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:59 am
Suspended

Any time you're in Durham we'll go, I'll even drive
And next time you're in Germany, I'll take you for lunch, and I'll buy the wine. Don't expect to get off easily, as we'll probably have some delicious local Obstler to round things off.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:58 am
Suspended

Ch Teyssier 2004 with roast beef today, delicious!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:58 am

monday to thursday - usually no
friday - maybe, especially during summer, nice lunch on a terrasse enjoying some sun before going back in, or at a restaurant next to our office with a substential beer menu!
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:38 am

For me, I think drinking at lunchtime is acceptable. However you sometimes get strange looks when you are in countries like Mexico and you're a woman. But I live in China, no one cares. They'll even drink with you.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 5:14 am

Programs: HH, SPG, IHG, Club Carlson, Hyatt, AA, DL, AmEx, UR
Husband is French, from a family where 3-4 courses, with wine, is the norm for lunch and dinner. Now that we are living in Europe full-time we have also adopted the same tradition. Most days he comes home for lunch and we have a few courses, always with wine. If he has to have a quick meal, like a sandwich then, no, no drinking.

Rarely do we drink anything other than wine, however, and never anything other than wine for lunch.

(I say this about the wine now, but when we were living in Prague and he could not come home for lunch he and his colleagues that drank knocked back a dirtcheap lunch and a 1/2 litre of beer each lunchtime as did all of the Czech, it seemed.)
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I have worked in and around some dangerous environments: foundry, machine shop, plastic extrusion lines, chemical refinery. I would never come back to work buzzed. Back in the 70's, when my job kept me in an office, I would have a margarita at lunch if we went out for Mexican or a beer if we went to the chili parlor. At some point in the early 80's, I stopped drinking and when I resumed 17 years later, drinking at lunch was out of fashion.

I enjoy a couple beers or a couple glasses of wine with lunch on weekends and when traveling for leisure. But as I get older, I find it leads to an afternoon nap if I don't get moving and stay active as soon as I get up from the table.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:11 am

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Lunch yesterday:

Is BBQ without beer even BBQ at all?
Sorry this is a bit Necro, but wow. THAT looks SPECTACULAR!

I can't eat like that at lunch any longer. Even though I'm very physically fit, a lunch like that would put me into a slumber stooper. I'd be a ghost of my former self the entire afternoon. One yawn after another.

But count me in on that meal for dinner or a weekend lunch. NICE!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:19 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RobbieRunner
Sorry this is a bit Necro, but wow. THAT looks SPECTACULAR!

I can't eat like that at lunch any longer. Even though I'm very physically fit, a lunch like that would put me into a slumber stooper. I'd be a ghost of my former self the entire afternoon. One yawn after another.

But count me in on that meal for dinner or a weekend lunch. NICE!
Haha yeah it was great. I was able to eat it because it was the summer and I was on a reduced work schedule. But I'm with you, that kind of meal should come with a nap for dessert
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Worked at the same company on three different continents now.

When I lived in Seattle, probably 3x a week either at lunch or in the office during the afternoon.

When I lived in Tokyo, never at lunch or the office.

Now that I live in Paris, never at lunch or the office. Its just not done amongst my coworkers.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Yesterday beeing a Saturday, and also my Helsinki friend's birthday, we started with cocktails short of one hour before noon
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Normal weekdays, no. When I am on work travel occasionally especially if meeting with colleagues and there is a nice place I will usually have a beer with my meal.

A Beer or a glass of wine is very civilized when eating out for lunch and improves the taste of food

And of course, as everyone else has noted, I judge the situation.. Having a beer with lunch is most definitely not a fireable offense where I work.. Although being on-site "Under the influence of drugs or alcohol" is against policy (Federal land, FFRDC)
Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Birthday lunch with my Mom a couple weeks ago, she didn't want to join in the drinking but since when has that stopped a Flyertalker?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.