Starbucks - Problems with Online Top Ups

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starbucks - Problems with Online Top Ups

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:57 am
Suspended

Starbucks has its own support forum. You could also contact them directly or deal with a manager at a store. I know they get a lot of hate, but unlike a lot of indie coffee shops, they do actually go out of their way to take care of people.

My only gripe with them is that a Starbucks card is useless for a corporate traveler. Loading up a Starbucks card, even if you only use it for business, with a corporate credit card will earn you unemployment benefits pretty quick. They need a corporate program.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:13 pm

FYI, for anyone looking for this in the future. I had this problem too and it started after I had to dispute charges on my credit card when someone made fraudulent Starbucks charges to my card. I'm pretty sure my Starbucks account online got hacked at some point.

Ever since, online topups and auto-topup always fails for me. I end up just refilling whenever I'm at a store with some time. I'll try the Starbucks forums though.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by billinghamn
Unfortunately been there and done that. Starbucks were the most unhelpful customer service team I've ever come across, and their systems/apps are misleading to say the least.

They had no interest in resolving my issue. I did have a long telephone conversation with one of their customer service team who told me their backend IT systems held details about my address that I couldn't see on their web app (the county) - how barmy is that? Holding info in their systems that I can't easily change. This came up because one of the potential issues we looked into was that my address didn't fully match the address that my Credit Card company held for me. This was completely irrelevant since the credit card company had already authorized the charge to my card. The problem was that Starbucks wouldn't claim the money since it decided (in its wisdom) that I failed some other internal checks.

As I say my wife can use exactly the same cards as me, registered at the same address and tops up without any problems at all. And what annoys me most is that the cards are in my name!

Barmy...
Hi there! sorry for the late question, I'm just asking were you able to get your money refunded? and if your did how were you able to do so?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by firo kre
Hi there! sorry for the late question, I'm just asking were you able to get your money refunded? and if your did how were you able to do so?
firo kre

Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:14 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I have an odd Starbucks card issue. Mine tops up OK, but one register at my usual *$ shows that the card is "unregistered," and thus I don't earn rewards (it does accept payment from the card), and can't redeem rewards at that register.

The other register works fine... assuming there's a clerk there who is or can sign in to it.

The local store is baffled. The online support is worthless (they just blame the store, saying my card is fine). I've called twice and have gotten nowhere. I'm tempted to report the card lost, have them mail me a new one, and use it instead.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by exerda
I have an odd Starbucks card issue. Mine tops up OK, but one register at my usual *$ shows that the card is "unregistered," and thus I don't earn rewards (it does accept payment from the card), and can't redeem rewards at that register.

The other register works fine... assuming there's a clerk there who is or can sign in to it.

The local store is baffled. The online support is worthless (they just blame the store, saying my card is fine). I've called twice and have gotten nowhere. I'm tempted to report the card lost, have them mail me a new one, and use it instead.
Reporting it lost seems like it's the best option.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Get a new card and register it to your online account. Customer service will delete one and consolidate balances for you.

Or use the phone app.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club

Pretty easy to acquire a new card at Starbucks. I had one that didn't work and they handed me a new one. I registered it online and transferred the balance from the non-working card.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:17 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
It's the fancy gold card, though! (But given that's a function of the account and not the physical card, it shouldn't really matter...)
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's the fancy gold card, though! (But given that's a function of the account and not the physical card, it shouldn't really matter...)
I would probably feel that way if they had ever sent me mine. But, as long as I get my perks, I don't care. In fact, they call me by name at 2 out of 3 local Starbucks. Not my real name of course, my Starbucks name, which is Frank.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I would probably feel that way if they had ever sent me mine. But, as long as I get my perks, I don't care. In fact, they call me by name at 2 out of 3 local Starbucks. Not my real name of course, my Starbucks name, which is Frank.
Order by your pimp or stripper name.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
Order by your pimp or stripper name.
Only if I had a physical gold card. I mean, a pimp with a green and white card? C'mon.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol

Only if I had a physical gold card. I mean, a pimp with a green and white card? C'mon.
C'mon, it would be fun.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Anyone ever run into the message "Sorry, this card is closed"? Like when your card gets disabled for some unknown reason?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by msp3
Anyone ever run into the message "Sorry, this card is closed"? Like when your card gets disabled for some unknown reason?
I was affected by the false "T&C violation" shutdown wave in summer 2014. Because of that and some barista's related meddling, corporate gave me $25, my MSR level + bonus Stars enough for 3 drinks, and a new Gold card with my old "Member Since" date. Anyway, every card my old account touched was shut down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.