Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Favorite Rum and Rum Recommendations" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Favorite Rum and Rum Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG Plat Amb, Le Club Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by tcook052
Havana Club.
That's what got me drinking rum on a regular basis in the first place
Old Feb 12, 2013, 4:24 am

I smuggled back a couple bottles of Havana Club 18 from SE Asia last year. It was always the pinnacle in my mind. We tasted it more than a few times at my bar and compared it to the ones I previously mentioned. The HC finished near the bottom of the pack. I just didn't have the complexity or elegance of the others. We were all quite surprised.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
I smuggled back a couple bottles of Havana Club 18 from SE Asia last year. It was always the pinnacle in my mind. We tasted it more than a few times at my bar and compared it to the ones I previously mentioned. The HC finished near the bottom of the pack. I just didn't have the complexity or elegance of the others. We were all quite surprised.
Well writ. I suspect that for many the attraction of Havana Club is the label and its (romantic?) origin. It's certainly better than my attempted humor in mentioning Cachaca and Cana, but no more so than any number of mass produced and bottled examples.

Not much of a rum drinker except in "cocktails" in which the other ingredients would mask even the most distinguished of brands, I occasionally buy a bottle of Barbancourt premium aged rum from Haiti (as much because a friend here is related to the family as any other reason) to enjoy. The best reasons for rum are the almost countless styles and tastes available, although I'm convinced that the "over-proofs", that handful of 151 bottlings are little better than flavored "Everclear", when it comes to enjoyment. I'm fond of the heavier "Navy" type rums, but the absolute worst rum I've encountered was a dark (as Black Sambuca) Cruzan, apparently cut with burnt sugar and molasses.

But then, how would I know, raised close to Mexico, source of the even then infamous Ron Batey, the equivalent of $ .50 a bottle in Mexican bottle shops in my youth? I haven't seen a bottle in years and suspect that the distillery (Cordoba or Orizaba, VC?) has become defunct or has been absorbed by Domeq or another cartel.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:03 pm

Love my Myers planters punch. Especially on a UA flight bound for Hawaii. Love the Mai Tais
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:59 am

Programs: QF,US,ANA
Living in Queensland it would have to be Bundaberg rum for me ....
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:26 am

Nuttin wrong with Bundy. In Asia it's frequently the best I can find & I've become quite fond of it. Tanduay from the PI is cheap and good, especially the 15 yr.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:22 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by buck3y3nut
Old Monk - Indian Rum. Absolutely one of the best out there...
+1 If you like a sweet one, this is outstanding. Only a couple of dollars per bottle in India; never seen it in the U.S., though I didn't look widely.

I have tried many high-priced ones, and keep coming back to Mount Gay as my favorite.

Havana Club? I don't get that one; both the light and dark taste like gasoline, though I guess I haven't tried the 18-year-old.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:48 am

Programs: HHonors-D, Delta Silver, IHG Plat
Meyers

Gotta be Meyers Dark Rum. It's the best with Coke, ice and a slice of Lime. Not always easy to find nationally; but, it's getting better! Slainte`
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Don Q Anejo is quite delicious, as is Barbancourt for a cheapy.

Chris
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by dcman2
Ron Zacapa Centenario Solera Grande Reserve - probably the favorite sipping rum. Not cheap, but worth it.
^ Great stuff

Zacapa XO fan here
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:55 pm

While in Barbados, we had a number of people recommend English Harbour 5 year rum as the best to get there. Haven't actually sampled it yet myself, since I don't drink a ton of rum (given the currently open bottles, the 5 year rum might age another 5 years before I get to it ).
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by piper28
While in Barbados, we had a number of people recommend English Harbour 5 year rum as the best to get there. Haven't actually sampled it yet myself, since I don't drink a ton of rum (given the currently open bottles, the 5 year rum might age another 5 years before I get to it ).
You may age 5 years. It won't.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
You may age 5 years. It won't.
Yeah, I know, it was more just a comment on how slowly we go through our rum collection in my house.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:49 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Never been a great fan of Havana Club products, though a glass of
anejo I had recently was better than average. I have always had a
soft spot for the older Appleton products, though I suspect that
the V/X is not quite what it used to be.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by tcook052
Havana Club.
This inspired me to take a snort of the HC I smuggled back a couple of months ago, the last few ounces of a bottle I bought in Paris a year or two ago, simply because I could. Not nearly as interesting as the El Dorado 15 year Anejo. I'll keep it for recipes that call for white rum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.