Wiki Posts
Search

Costco Demo Person Tries To Sell Me $375 Blender

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard

It was a Vitamax, or maybe a VitaMeataVegamin. I accepted and chugged the proffered protein smoothie.

"What's the difference between this here $375 Vitamax and that there $39 Oster?"

"The difference is, the Vitamax emulsifies the food, it actually breaks down the cell walls."

I try to hold back peals of laughter. "Oh."

I did some quick calculations, factored in that I'm just not that big on smoothies, and figured it would be more cost-effective to take a cab to the nearest Jamba Juice every time I want a smoothie from now on.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't laugh - Blendtec is another $300-ish industrial strength blender they sell at Costco and it's really really good (and i noticed near identical one used at Peet's). I don't want to get into detailed discussion but they are definitely a premium option just like for example Tumi in luggage, Benz in cars or Four Seasons in lodging. Whether those high end options are worth the premium over cheap generic brands is really up to you and your preferences in a particular market segment.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by mbstone
It was a Vitamax, or maybe a VitaMeataVegamin. I accepted and chugged the proffered protein smoothie.
Funny. Going to have to watch that Lucy episode again on Youtube
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I own a Blendtec, so there is clearly a market for suckers who will spend $400 on a smoothie machine

But seriously - has anyone ever had a good experience with an Oster blender?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by ScottC
I own a Blendtec, so there is clearly a market for suckers who will spend $400 on a smoothie machine

But seriously - has anyone ever had a good experience with an Oster blender?
My cheap blender has held my kitchen counter down rather well! The counter still has not been able to jump up and run away, so I can't complain!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:36 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Kitchen appliances, like most things, come in different grades.

If you are happy with a cheap <<insert appliance name here>> then the $300 Vitamix is not for you. If however you will burn through an Oster every three months from the abuse, then maybe it is.

There is a difference in many cases. Many people can't tell the difference and can be happy with the $39 one, but many people can.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:13 am
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
I understand the differences in construction and durabillity, as said above it is up to each one to decide if they are worth it, giving its intended use; what is ridiculous is the sales pitch, as related by mbstone:

"The difference is, the Vitamax emulsifies the food, it actually breaks down the cell walls."

These are both true and false (depending on how strictly you use these terms) and are equally true or false for all blenders.

I think that one point of buying a real premium product is to be treated as an adult and not to be lied about it.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia

I believe that a vitamix with a big powerful motor can also grind grains. Hard to do in an oster.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: Flying and sleeping
I borrowed a Blendtec from a friend to see if it was worth the price.

When compared to my Oster, I could absolutely tell the difference between the end results. The Blendtec was smoother.

It also had enough power to create a hot soup out of raw ingredients just by blending them at hyperspeed. Nifty feature.

Worth ten times more than my blender? Heck if I know. I didn't go out and buy one afterward.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I own a $1,500 coffee maker and I could have bought a $19.99 Proctor-Silex. Is my coffee better? heck yes! Worth $1,480 more?? I'm happy and that's all that matters. (I also saves me a fortune at *bucks.)
Old Jan 31, 2013, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
"You mean if I puree my beans in the machine, I won't fart?"

But seriously, a good kitchen machine of any type is usually worth it, if you use it regularly.

For what my pair of Japanese knives cost, I could have gone to Dollar Tree and stocked up everyone in my block with an array of cutlery. And we could have a giant shredded steak party.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:09 am
uk1
Suspended

I once went out with a Japanese girl called Blenda.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:18 pm

I did some quick calculations, factored in that I'm just not that big on smoothies, and figured it would be more cost-effective to take a cab to the nearest Jamba Juice every time I want a smoothie from now on.
Heck, you could get the discounted Jamba Juice cards at Costco, and it would be even cheaper.

Incidentally, Mr. Fwoomp has been managing to make smoothies with his $40 blender (I'm guessing, his relationship with said blender predates his relationship with me) for years. He starts with frozen fruit, even.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
We almost bought the vitamix at a home show... Mrs. derelict was glued in front of the guy's demo stand and was wowed by the things he was doing with that machine. I have to say I was impressed when he dumped a jar of planters peanuts into it and came out with peanut butter a minute or two later. But thankfully I talked her out of spending $400 for something that was going to sit in the cabinet after a few uses. I told her she would only use it 4 times and that would be 4 x $100 smoothies...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: none
For the blendtech google "will it blend".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.