Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Okay, since the "What are you eating thread" is starting to evolve into a "What are you drinking?" thread, I thought I'd start one for all of us oenophiles on FT.

Tonight, first bottle: Chateau Benitey St. Emilion Grand Cru 2009. My initial impression: meh. I prefer the four euro Minervois I had last night.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:09 pm
uk1
Suspended

Okay, so this thread is specifically for drinking wine without eating?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Yes, what are you drinking tonight?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:25 pm
uk1
Suspended

Sorry .... I'm drinking with my evening meal as I normally do .... and I guess if it was an unusual wine .... it would go in the other thread .......

Last edited by uk1; Nov 28, 2012 at 1:35 pm
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had the remnant of my 2011 Dos Fincas malbec and am following with a 2010 Flaio Primitivo.

Both are under $10. Both are perfectly fine for my needs.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:45 pm

Riesling....just plain ole Ste Michelle.

Bobette
Old Nov 28, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
I asked my partner to open a bottle of Kupelwieser Pinot Bianco Alto Adige (Süd-Tirol), Italy.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Water tonight.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by x1achilles
I asked my partner to open a bottle of Kupelwieser Pinot Bianco Alto Adige (Süd-Tirol), Italy.
this is a great, undiscovered(pretty much) area. the Gewurztraminer is also great. there are wonderful food wines.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Tonight will be a Bandol La Garenne, at least the first bottle.
Cote du Rhone Vidal Fleury, second bottle

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Nov 30, 2012 at 12:48 am
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:13 am

Thibaut-Janison Blanc de Chardonnay. Yes, a Virginia wine! Finding it on the wine list of not one but two of the top beaneries in N. Va sent me to the wine shop. And yes, it was worth the trip.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:22 am

2008 I Balzini White Label Da Sangiovese e Cabernet Sauvignon Dai Colli Della Toscana Centrale
It's an Italian half cab & half sangio blend. Wasn't thrilled.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Very unusual for me to drink white rather than red. A super tasting wine it is too considering the price........a 2009 Bodegas Cava del 23 Beviam Tocai from Mendoza.

^^^ from me.....must get more.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Very unusual for me to drink white rather than red. A super tasting wine it is too considering the price........a 2009 Bodegas Cava del 23 Beviam Tocai from Mendoza.

^^^ from me.....must get more.
After reading this and that entire Malbec thread beginning to end, I'm going to have to seek out some of those Argentine wines mentioned and start giving them a shot. For me, it always seems like the wine you get locally is better than the wine exported from that country to yours. For example, the only US wines I have in my local store are Gallo or Mondavi.

When I'm in Portugal I have amazing wine. Spain and Italy the same. I had very drinkable wine in Jordan this year also. Actually, maybe I have to make one exception - I buy South African wines here in my local store that I think are pretty good. When UA was serving Van Loveren wines in Business Class a few years back I thought they were great. When I was next in Cape Town and told my friend that she just laughed saying it is like the cheapest wine in the country.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:40 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by lancebanyon
After reading this and that entire Malbec thread beginning to end, I'm going to have to seek out some of those Argentine wines mentioned and start giving them a shot. For me, it always seems like the wine you get locally is better than the wine exported from that country to yours. For example, the only US wines I have in my local store are Gallo or Mondavi.

When I'm in Portugal I have amazing wine. Spain and Italy the same. I had very drinkable wine in Jordan this year also. Actually, maybe I have to make one exception - I buy South African wines here in my local store that I think are pretty good. When UA was serving Van Loveren wines in Business Class a few years back I thought they were great. When I was next in Cape Town and told my friend that she just laughed saying it is like the cheapest wine in the country.
Re Spain.

A real surprise to me was discovering some of the extraordinary Finos when tapas foraging in Madrid. I hadn't realised how varied they are ..... I know perhaps not strictly classified as wine .... but to me neither a sherry either and the Spanish seem to drink them as a wine bar type drink. I've also noticed now that so much Champagne output is targeted at low price, premium Cava really seems to fill an easy drinking slot vacated. Your Champagne budget spent with a Cava produces quite a bottle.

Since then several bottles of Fino and Cava are kept in the coldest but of the fridge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.