Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Who's Trying New Recipes for the Holidays?

Old Nov 19, 2012, 1:36 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium

Rather than revive my 8 year old thread on the subject, I thought I would just start a new one.

My family will be scattered for Thanksgiving ... so in order to get my fix of stuffing, I had them over last night.

I found this Holiday Salad recipe online and it was a huge hit. It may just become a regular part of my potluck repetoire. (I used cotija instead of parmesan)

In a huge departure from my normal Italian Sausage, Mushroom and Fennel stuffing ....
I made the Italian Sausage, Mushroom and Chestnut stuffing, and the Green Beans in a Creamy Mushroom Sauce from closetcooking.com

http://www.closetcooking.com/2010/11...de-dishes.html
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:18 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Last year the "small" turkey we ordered from a local farm was 8-lbs over what they estimated it to be and it couldn't fit in our wall oven so I had to take it apart for cooking and reassemble for show at the table only to schlep it back into the kitchen for carving. I had a look at the turkeys on the farm a few weeks ago and they are again huge! So my plan is to cook the turkey in parts again but make each part its own dish and set out a turkey buffet this year.

I'm thinking that if I have to cook everything separately I might as well cook them differently so everything can be timed to be hot at the table.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
As a child I couldn't stomach cranberry sauce, jelled or whole berry, out of the can. Adulthood made the canned product no more tolerable. Then, a few decades back, I discovered the wide and diverse realm of homemade cranberry sauce.

This year, we're off to the Hill Country to Thanksgive at my little sister's, 20 or so of relateds and unrelateds, so I made a half gallon of "homemade", a new and experimental blending of cranberries, chopped apples, dark brown sugar, a little "Navy" rum, Orange Zest, Orange juice, cinnamon sticks and cloves in a spice bag, with some chopped walnuts added in the last 30 minutes of slow simmering.

Tastes good to me. Thursday's varied guests will confirm or deny....
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:20 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by TMOliver
As a child I couldn't stomach cranberry sauce, jelled or whole berry, out of the can. Adulthood made the canned product no more tolerable. Then, a few decades back, I discovered the wide and diverse realm of homemade cranberry sauce.

This year, we're off to the Hill Country to Thanksgive at my little sister's, 20 or so of relateds and unrelateds, so I made a half gallon of "homemade", a new and experimental blending of cranberries, chopped apples, dark brown sugar, a little "Navy" rum, Orange Zest, Orange juice, cinnamon sticks and cloves in a spice bag, with some chopped walnuts added in the last 30 minutes of slow simmering.

Tastes good to me. Thursday's varied guests will confirm or deny....
I've been making this for a few years now ...

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/m...nberry-chutney
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
New last year was a cranberry relish made with Lime and Ginger. Just google "cranberry lime ginger" and it comes right up from several sites.

This year I'm doing a whole baked pumpkin. You cut the top off like you're making a jack-o-lantern, clean out the seeds and goop, stuff it with pretty much anything you want although bread cubes or rice, cheese, scallions or chives, and cream seem to be standard, as are salt pepper and whatever herbs you have handy. I'm adding some mushrooms (cooked first to get the liquid out) and sausage (also cooked). Mix it all up, stick it in the pumpkin, put the lid back on and bake at 350 for 60 minutes, take the lid off and then continue to bake until stuffing isn't runny - about 30 minutes more. Serve whole and take the lid off at the table before scooping out servings. I'm expect ooh's and aah's.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.