Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Sign in using an external account

Old Dec 8, 12, 1:40 am   #106

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancebanyon View Post
Where in Germany and what style? Germany is known for lot's of things - curry wurst, gluhwein, lebkuchen, brats, beer, etc - but, regardless of the Hamburg history, I've never heard anyone make reference to German hamburgers as being a specialty of the country. I live here and I won't eat them, but then again that's just me. Most people in my village eat fricadelles or fleischkase in a brotchen instead of hamburgers, but that could be a regional thing. I won't eat pommes with mayonaisse either.
This family run diner in Cologne is my absolute favourite for a non-chain burger in Germany. Standing room and take away only but everything they do is from scratch and has a great taste.

http://leben-in-suelz.de/suelzergrill.html
mosburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 12, 1:12 pm   #107
uk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk1 View Post
I'm surprised that people prefer under-cooked burgers as in the uk burgers cooked to under 160 degrees (Well done")are con sidered hazardous and it is considered a food risk to undercook burgers and in particular to hold them at lower than that.

Food Standards Agency

I guess we all have a different view of risk .......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie View Post
The places I go for a med rare burger are making it to order so no hold time.

Just like anyone who enjoys sushi or other raw/undercooked items, one has to have faith that the restaurant is using high quality vendors/supplies. I think my faith may be a bit stronger than the usual consumer
You may be interested to read what action Westmisnter Council are taking against restaurants - including top-end (reliable!) restaurants cooking burgers to 158F for less than 2 minutes or at lower temperatures ....Westminster council cracks down on rare and medium-rare burgers and The chips are down... burger chefs bite back over rare meat crackdown .
uk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 12, 4:03 pm   #108

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthekiwi View Post
What sort of sides would you enjoy with your burger? I can't think of anything better than fresh thin onion rings.
I'm right there with you on this. I don't have either very often, but if I'm going to do the damage, a great burger (which I can easily make at home) with a few perfectly--and freshly--cooked (thin or thick) onion rings (which I can't easily make at home) is a winner.

My dad grew up in New England and refers to the sandwich as a "Hamburg". So did a friend from Erie, Pennsylvania. I love to hear the different regional names for food items, i.e., soda/pop/coke; milkshake/frappe; grinders/hoagies/subs, etc.

I was surprised when I ordered a hamburger in Sydney and it had a fried egg on it. Different that what I am used to, but good.

Last edited by youreadyfreddie; Dec 10, 12 at 4:08 pm..
youreadyfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 12, 3:12 pm   #109

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
The best burger I've had was at Slater's 50/50 in LA. There's a few locations (mostly in OC) but they just built one in Pasadena

The 50/50 patty, which they are known for, is made up of 50% ground beef and 50% ground bacon. From there, you can dress it any way you want. They have custom burgers or a build your own.

Furthermore, if you are a bacon person, they have lots of bacon options..
Bacon Ketchup
Baconaiise
Bacon Milkshakes
Bacon Bourbon
etc.

My co worker buddy swears on Golden State Cafe but I have yet to try it. The last time I tried to eat there, I got caught up in traffic as there was a big event nearby.

For a fast food burger, I like In n Out fine enough (animal style) but I would agree that Five Guys is better overall.
fieldeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 12, 10:27 am   #110

Programs: Co Plt, UA 1k, Hilton Diamond
Fuddruckers!!
donjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 12, 11:18 am   #111

Programs: M&M, MR Platinum, HH Gold
The Gold Standard at Holsten inside The Cosmopolitan Las Vegas was one of my best; didn't hurt that it was free after paying with Identity points...
Exdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 12, 8:30 am   #112

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philatravelgirl View Post
In Philly we have lots of great burger options which makes it tough to find others I like out of town-500 is my go to burger joint and then if fancy, go for Kobe sliders at Barclay Prime.
Bobbys burger bar is great, they have a vanilla bourbon milkshake thats to die for. Gallos burger bar is awful.
drewzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 12, 3:26 pm   #113

Programs: AA, SPG, HHonors
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJ321 View Post
Kumas corner in Chicago! Get there early...and enjoy a cool atmosphere and one of the best burgers ever. Pretzel buns, great fries and some pretty funky topping combos.
I'm heading to ATL next week so will try out Ann's...Ghetto Burger sounds right up my alley.

Another vote for Kuma's! I've had a lot of burgers in my day, and Kuma's is the clear winner in my opinion.
sk8uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 12, 3:42 pm   #114

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BAEC, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Splitz Grill in Whistler, BC. No contest.

I make it my mission to find the best burger everywhere I go but far and away, the #1, absolute best burger in the world is Splitz Grill in Whistler, BC (there is also a location in Vancouver). Make sure you get the Splitz sauce!

A reasonably close runner up would be The Red Onion, also in Vancouver.
Finkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 12, 3:06 am   #115

Programs: KLM FB PE - VS Gold - BA Gold- EK Gold - HH Diamond - SPG Gold - Marriott Silver - Club Carlson Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJ321 View Post
Kumas corner in Chicago! Get there early...and enjoy a cool atmosphere and one of the best burgers ever. Pretzel buns, great fries and some pretty funky topping combos.
Kumas Corner - nothing comes close.

http://www.kumascorner.com/

When I've conducted a survey at some of the best restaurants in Chicago, Kumas was the chefs' unanimous choice. I humbly agree with them
Moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 12, 7:26 am   #116

Although Langford and Hubcap do have great burgers, my favorite is Christian's Tailgate in Houston. The one on Washington Avenue.
rolltide2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 13, 10:27 am   #117

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, BW Diamond
Definitely Kumas in Chicago
jamesteroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 13, 12:48 pm   #118
Talkboard Member & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, DL, UA General Member, BW Gold, HH Gold, Amtrak Select Plus
The lamb cheeseburger at La Bonne Soupe on 55th Street in New York City is right up there. It's topped with Gruyere cheese and served with excellent fries.

If we're talking beef burgers, I really like The Counter in Times Square again in New York City. It's really reasonably priced for New York and you can pick from a ton of toppings. I did a third pound burger last time with blue cheese, au jus and cucumbers and it was phenomenal. Plus, their Parmesan fries are great.

You can see the burgers my friends had in the background and the toppings on theirs.
Old Jan 2, 13, 8:15 pm   #119

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, Fairmont President's Club, AC Altitude Elite 50K
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmv View Post
Instead of How I Met Your Mother's search for the best burger in New York, I want to know where to find the best burger in the world according to the Flyertalk community.

To kick-off this topic, the best burger I had so far: The M-Burger in Chicago http://www.mburgerchicago.com/
Very tasteful and contains bacon, cheese and a secret M-Burger sauce sold at 4 locations across the city.
On their facebook-page they also publish a monthly secret menu with a pumpkin-shake on it right now.

So, what's your favorite burger in the world?
I do love MBurger.

For similar type burgers, I also love Five Guys and, to a lesser extent, Shake Shack
Bjmcisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 13, 9:48 am   #120

Port O Call in NOLA
EWRfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote