Today .... I (we) have been eating ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Today .... I (we) have been eating ....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Got together with my sandwich maker tonight and had a hot turkey and provolone sandwich. One of those always puts me in a good mood ^
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by uk1
Except for Shepherds Pie .....
Indeed.
I tend to be suspicious of cottage pie I haven't made because the mince can hide a myriad of horrors.
Lamb,however,is less easy to muck up.
Either way mature cheddar-infused mashed spuds are an essential topping in the Showbizguru household.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:28 am
uk1
Suspended

Lunch@home@Hampshire

Roast loin of pork with crackling, 5 mini Yorkshires, pan roasted charlottes with veg and gravy. Once again I'd started to munch before I started to snap.

Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by uk1
Lunch@home@Hampshire

Roast loin of pork with crackling, 5 mini Yorkshires, pan roasted charlottes with veg and gravy. Once again I'd started to munch before I started to snap.

Looks like you started to munch before you put the gravy on as well.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:06 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Showbizguru
Looks like you started to munch before you put the gravy on as well.
Look more close and you'll see clear jus. Hate thick gravy on pork. Yorkshires substituted for dumplings to mop it up.

Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Breakfast of law school champions: coffee and Pop Tarts!

Going here for dinner tonight: http://www.angusbarn.com/

The question is: bacon wrapped filet or New York Strip?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by uk1
Look more close and you'll see clear jus. Hate thick gravy on pork. Yorkshires substituted for dumplings to mop it up.

Yorskhire Pudding with jus ? !!!!!

My dear old mum from Barnsley has just spun in her grave.

Bloody soft Southerners.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:38 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Showbizguru
Yorskhire Pudding with jus ? !!!!!

My dear old mum from Barnsley has just spun in her grave.

Bloody soft Southerners.
My gaf - my rules!

Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by uk1
Look more close and you'll see clear jus.
I take it you mean that pool of condensation lying next to the pork?

The meal looks excellent but it's got to have gravy not that fancy jus nonsense.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I've been snacking on Balsamic roasted vegetables which I've made for a party this weekend.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 5:50 am
uk1
Suspended

I am so annoyed.

I'm making my routine large vat of pasta meat sauce (I'm not going to call it Bolognese and start a war with the Italians ..... .. ) for the freezer.

I have always gone through a a tortuous process of sweating off soffritto first, then reserving and then frying and seperating all the mince granules then combining and adding canned tomato (and our secret cream of tomato soup) and tomato paste... and then purely our taste again lots of chopped mushroom.

I've never had the courage to try the bung it all in to the slow cooker approach which is what I have done. Simply put the tomato in first then the soffritto and then the meat and in our case fresh thyme, sugar salt etc ... and eventually chopped mushroom.

It's better. And it does it all entirely by itself. All the meat naturally seperates and I'm now thinking of all those wasted years.

Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by uk1
I am so annoyed.

I'm making my routine large vat of pasta meat sauce (I'm not going to call it Bolognese and start a war with the Italians ..... .. ) for the freezer.

I have always gone through a a tortuous process of sweating off soffritto first, then reserving and then frying and seperating all the mince granules then combining and adding canned tomato (and our secret cream of tomato soup) and tomato paste... and then purely our taste again lots of chopped mushroom.

I've never had the courage to try the bung it all in to the slow cooker approach which is what I have done. Simply put the tomato in first then the soffritto and then the meat and in our case fresh thyme, sugar salt etc ... and eventually chopped mushroom.

It's better. And it does it all entirely by itself. All the meat naturally seperates and I'm now thinking of all those wasted years.

IME, that works great, but only if you still brown the meat in a hot skillet first.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:47 am

I regularly make a batch of Bolognese sauce for myself as the wife doesn't like it although she does choose a decent cut of meat and asks the butcher to mince it.
All I do is fry off some finely chopped onions,garlic and some red pepper. Then add the minced beef with a bay leaf. I don't brown it off as such just mash it up a bit then add a glass or two of red wine then let it reduce before adding either our own tomato sauce or a couple of tins of puréed tomatoes. Salt n pepper then that's it.

Works for me.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I have a great Bolognese recipe that is supposedly from Paul and Mira Sorvino. Found it in the newspaper years ago and have adapted it slightly over the years (e.g., I like it with red wine instead of the white they call for). I like to make big batches and freeze it because it takes about four hours. It's the best Bolognese sauce I've ever had, if I do say so myself (and I don't claim to make the best anything!).
Old Mar 28, 2014, 4:15 pm

Went to Noodles & Co for dinner with my younger brother and had Japanese Pan Noodles with steak. It's okay and next to where I work.

Oh and I tried one of the Peeps Easter Doughnuts at Dunkin' Doughnuts. Now that was good

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.