Reload this Page >

Let us now praise "Frito Pie".....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let us now praise "Frito Pie".....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:14 pm

The next morning it is the "Burning Taco" getting even....
Old Sep 24, 2012, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by kerflumexed
I have always been partial to Berts BBQ for Frito Pie although I usually preferred the T-Man. It was a sad day when the joint near campus burned to a crisp, but now it looks like they are back close to UT. Always good and friendly people at Berts - their brisket was never the very best but everything else made up for it.

And if you are in Austin, for lunch only, visit House Park.

I still miss the original Hoffbrau here for steaks. LBJ used to visit this place - smart ... waitresses and only a verbal menu - small T-Bone or Large, with fries swimming in butter. They had an Aggie Bowling Ball on display - a red brick with three holes in it.....
The thinly cut quickly flat-top cooked steaks at the old Hoffbrau are one of the blessed memories of my youth. I'm still partial to lemon butter.

If passing thru Waco, a "Gut Pack" at Viteks', just down Speight from the 17th/18th St exit on IH35, is a worthy offspring of the Frito Pie. You'll still be burping when you pass Waxahachie.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers

Bests frito pie ever
Baja Tacos, Sterling, CO
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/101/8422...Tacos-Sterling
Old Sep 24, 2012, 9:09 pm

You all forgot the jalapeńos.

Traditional frito pie serving:

Better than the nachos served at ball parks & movie houses.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:38 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Ha! We actually had this for dinner one night at a two-week sleepaway Girl Scout camp when I was about ten years old. At the time, we kids thought it was pretty much the greatest meal ever concocted. Thanks for bringing back the memory, TMOliver
Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:28 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Frito Pie was a regular on the school lunch menu for our children in the small town in Texas I lived in a thousand years ago. The children report that it was much, much better than (seriously) the "Hot Dog Tacos" -- boiled hotdogs plopped into taco shells.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Frito Pie was a regular on the school lunch menu for our children in the small town in Texas I lived in a thousand years ago. The children report that it was much, much better than (seriously) the "Hot Dog Tacos" -- boiled hotdogs plopped into taco shells.
Hot Dog Tacos? Ewww.... Although, I'm not a fan of boiled hot dogs in general.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by kipper
Hot Dog Tacos? Ewww.... Although, I'm not a fan of boiled hot dogs in general.
almost right for me with the modification of 'boiled' modifier being removed and just say 'not a fan of hot dogs'

Even the 'premium' hot dogs are still just gross.

The ways the school 'nutritionist' makes these obviously crap meals into something 'healthy and meeting the required food guidelines' are just laughable.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:51 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by Steph3n
almost right for me with the modification of 'boiled' modifier being removed and just say 'not a fan of hot dogs'

Even the 'premium' hot dogs are still just gross.

The ways the school 'nutritionist' makes these obviously crap meals into something 'healthy and meeting the required food guidelines' are just laughable.
Likewise, the dietitians working for nursing homes claim and approve as nutritious the worst, substandard junk to be fed to the elderly (who are paying more than $250/day to share a cramped, uncomfortable room with a stranger). Fritos would be a step up from the crap I saw served to residents.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: VS AU, AS 75K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
The Red Hot in Tacoma, WA!

It's on the menu, along with good hot dogs and GREAT beer.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
From the State Fair of Texas Facebook page:

It's official! We have a new Guinness World Record: The folks from Frito-Lay have created the largest Fritos Chili Pie weighing in at 1,325 pounds! Congratulations @fritos80th Anniversary! #gwrnews

The pie was assembled in a massive stainless steel trough, filled to the brim with canned Hormel chili, canned orange cheese and a mountain of corn chips. The 1,200-pound goal was obliterated by an extra 125 pounds of sodium and cholesterol.
Hit the link to see pics:
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/city...pie_a_succ.php
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by swag
It looks truly disgusting. That canned cheese alone makes it inedible.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I agree with the OP's menu except a liberal amount of hot sauce MUST be added!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by cblaisd
The best thing about getting it at school was the "commodity" cheese. My grandmother used to get those humongous blocks of commodity cheese (she called it welfare cheese) and I have yet to find a better grilled cheese sandwich than one made with goverment cheese....^
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:17 am

Though I would usually discourage vegetables in proximity to chili, one of the best Frito Chili Pies I've eaten was at a place in San Antonio called Cheesy Jane's (mediocre food otherwise). Their truly excellent version has fritos covered in very good chili, onions, and cheese. These are briefly heated under the broiler - then covered with shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes (these are not heated). Quite delicious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.