FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Meals you like the idea of more than you like eating them (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1365820-meals-you-like-idea-more-than-you-like-eating-them.html)

emma69 Jul 12, 2012 11:51 am

Meals you like the idea of more than you like eating them

I may be strange, and no one else gets this! But there are meals I sometimes make that sound really good, and while there is nothing at all wrong with them (ie not burnt, or funny tasting), I just enjoy less than I thought I would.

Spagetti and meatballs (in my case, veggie ones). Love the idea of it, sounds good, tastes good, but when I come to eat it it is all a bit 'menh'.

Waffles - the belgian kind, covered in lovely fresh fruit etc. I dream about them sometimes, yet when I got for brunch / breakfast out, I have stopped ordering them, as I find the actual waffle a disappointing eating experience, even if they are very good.

naeglerian Jul 12, 2012 12:58 pm

Okonomiyaki

I have had it two or three times in Osaka. It smells great to me, but I feel a bit ill after eating it. Somehow the combination of Worcestershire, Kewpie mayonnaise, beer (not in the okonomiyaki), and second-hand smoke wreaks havoc with my digestion.

CMK10 Jul 12, 2012 4:55 pm

Steak tartar. Because it's so hard to find in the US and the movie Wall Street and my own Father's ramblings had it sounding like the greatest thing since sliced bread I finally tried it last year while in Paris. Sure, it was fun to eat, but it was hard to get past the idea that I had paid over $20 for what is essentially raw hamburger with a raw egg on top.

u2fan Jul 12, 2012 8:13 pm

For me, it would be spinach salad. It sounds good, and is good for you, but I find it very overrated.

BTW, I like Okonomiyaki. When I first started going to Osaka, I thought I would find it in every restaurant - kind of like eggs in the US. It turned out to be not quite as common as a thought but I found and ordered it in a real 'dump' of a place outside of Osaka Station. It was good and I have been eating it ever since.

Bttc Jul 12, 2012 9:10 pm

Any kind of German food. It all sounds good, but I end up eating everything but German food any time I'm in Germany. On the other hand, Hungary, which is right next door, has great food (and the German foods I like the best are all actually Hungarian).

mecabq Jul 13, 2012 8:49 am

Blue crabs, like in Maryland. I love 'em, but it's so laborious that, part-way through the meal, I always feel like it's more trouble than it's worth to pick out the meat tiny shred by tiny shred.

sfvoyage Jul 13, 2012 8:59 am

Ethiopian food. Every once in a while, I'd crave it, mainly because it's veggie-friendly. However, a couple of handfuls into the meal, I'd lose interest, due to the dull colors, dull texture (all purée), dull tastes...

Mr. Vker Jul 13, 2012 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by mecabq (Post 18922990)
Blue crabs, like in Maryland. I love 'em, but it's so laborious that, part-way through the meal, I always feel like it's more trouble than it's worth to pick out the meat tiny shred by tiny shred.

Noooooo.....steamed crabs are awesome. Crabs, corn, beer. Yes, it is some work, but it is a social event!

emma69 Jul 13, 2012 8:32 pm

I tend to agree, also veggie, it is nice enough but gets boring very soon!

Originally Posted by sfvoyage (Post 18923061)
Ethiopian food. Every once in a while, I'd crave it, mainly because it's veggie-friendly. However, a couple of handfuls into the meal, I'd lose interest, due to the dull colors, dull texture (all purée), dull tastes...

slawecki Jul 14, 2012 11:19 am

most vegetarian meals. most japanese foods. standard korean is just too hot.

LapLap Jul 14, 2012 11:55 am

Macaroni cheese. I get a craving every couple of years, then.... disappointment.

Starting to feel that way with Spanish bread in Spain, even when it's wood fired (the good stuff is unbelievably elusive)

Odd that okonomiyaki came out. I initially felt that way. Was never hugely impressed in restaurants (London and Japan - and I can include a highly regarded place in Osaka) and all the recipes I tried were vile. But I persisted as I knew I should like okonomiyaki - despite my husband's lack of enthusiasm as he'd never cared for it. Then I came across the recipe on justhungry.com and it all clicked. Love it now and I've converted the hubby to the joys of okonomiyaki too.

magsmeplease Jul 15, 2012 3:59 pm

Western Chinese food Buffets

I get the craving and then just regret what I've put my body through after eating it... like I actually feel sadness.

FinalCallDXB Jul 16, 2012 1:01 am

Fish and chips are the one that most springs to mind - the smell of hot vinegar makes my mouth water and the first few bites are ambrosia but half way in I'm losing interest and by the end I just feel greasy.

Offal is another one. I very much want to embrace nose to tail eating but offal in general and tripe and kidneys in particular just dont work for me. I like to think it's a texture thing rather than squeamishness but I suspect there's some self delusion in that.

GuyverII Jul 16, 2012 4:28 am

I tried one of Gary Leff's recommendations for "gourmet dining" but found most of it looked like sh**te. Worse yet, some of the dishes tasted that way as well.

CMK10 Jul 17, 2012 11:07 am

Fried chicken. It always sounds good and often looks good but usually a few bites in I'm instantly regretting my choice.