Search

Your mother's worst meals

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by braslvr
Every pizza that came into our house when I was a kid, which wasn't many, maybe 2 a year, was a cheese pizza. I didn't have toppings on a pie until I was 17, working, with my own money, and bought it myself. Probably why to this day I prefer my pizzas loaded with toppings.

(I actually kinda liked carrot and raisin salad. Haven't had it in probably 35 years though.)
When I was growing up Pizza came in kit form in a box. A little package of crust mix, a can of sauce, and a little packet of "cheese." There may have been a version with pepperoni as well.

Last edited by milepig; Nov 26, 2014 at 12:35 pm
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
My mother's worst meal was pigs in a blanket. Not the delicious kind of pigs in a blanket (sausage wrapped in some variety of pastry/biscuit/pancakge), the disgusting kind made with cabbage.

By the age of 7, I had also taken to locking her out of the house if she tried to make sauerkraut or borscht in the house because I hated the smell. Somehow I won that battle instead of getting my hide tanned, and she made it on the side burner of the grill going forward.

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I love having my mother over for dinner, serving her all the stuff she never served me and watching her push it around the plate. I tell her no dessert unless she eats at least one Brussels sprout.
This is amazing. I can't believe I've never thought of this.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by cubbie
This is hands-down the funniest FlyerTalk post I have ever read!
It certainly made my top 10 ^
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by javabytes
My mother's worst meal was pigs in a blanket. Not the delicious kind of pigs in a blanket (sausage wrapped in some variety of pastry/biscuit/pancakge), the disgusting kind made with cabbage.
How on earth do you make pigs in blankets with cabbage?

In my house pigs in blankets is a sausage wrapped in bacon.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
When my mother cooked she did an excellent job, but because of my father's job she didn't cook often.

We had really bad food in boarding school.

And I have a sister, good lord is she bad, she is world renownd in her field, but can't boil an egg if she had to. So, they hired a cook, he was so bad that normally I would eat before I went to her house for lunch/dinner.

Food wasn't important to her, thus it went down to her kids. Food isn't important. They could survive on over boiled pasta with ketchup. (yes she had done it for her kids).

I asked my kids if I am a good cook and what is my worst dish, they said I am a fabulous cook, that is why all their friends prefer to eat at the house rather than at restaurants when they visit us.

Guess I have to give them a good Xmas gift.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:13 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by milepig
When I was growing up Pizza can in kit form in a box. A little package of crust mix, a can of sauce, and a little packet of "cheese." There may have been a version with pepperoni as well.
Was often our Sunday night meal when I was a child:

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Oh wow, I hadn't thought of that in years and years. But that indeed used to be our Sunday night treat when I was growing up:

except then the box was yellow, not red.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by cubbie
This is hands-down the funniest FlyerTalk post I have ever read!
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
It certainly made my top 10 ^
I'm flattered that you think so. It almost makes 16 years of eating her cooking worthwhile.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:48 am

We went to a potluck party yesterday, helped ourselves to some lovely looking potato salad and looked at each other in astonishment when we bit down and found the potatoes utterly raw. Okay, it wasn't my mother, but somebody made the worst potato salad I've ever had.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
And I have a sister, good lord is she bad, she is world renownd in her field, but can't boil an egg if she had to. So, they hired a cook, he was so bad that normally I would eat before I went to her house for lunch/dinner.
I've known so many people like your sister. Is cooking really that difficult? Obviously I don't cook much but it is hard to understand why so many people struggle with just the basics. Whatever my wife makes (never uses is a recipe), is invariably outstanding. I usually just close my eyes and inhale. On the other hand, it usually means that every meal involving cooking for family parties falls on her shoulders.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
How on earth do you make pigs in blankets with cabbage?
I hope we get the answer to this. I'm totally perplexed at how one would get cabbage into a pig in a blanked.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I can only assume that the cabbage is susbstituted for the bacon.Though how anyone could do anything so sacreligious is beyond me
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
I've known so many people like your sister. Is cooking really that difficult? Obviously I don't cook much but it is hard to understand why so many people struggle with just the basics. Whatever my wife makes (never uses is a recipe), is invariably outstanding. I usually just close my eyes and inhale. On the other hand, it usually means that every meal involving cooking for family parties falls on her shoulders.
My sister, for her and her family food is just fuel. You should see how she orders in restos. I never ever take her to any of my restaurants. EVER.

Food isn't an essential part for her.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
My kids are developing into better cooks than I. We had dinner with BamaVol Jr #3 this week. He brewed his own red ale, used it to make beer bread and beer batter. Used both to make deep fried, grilled brie sandwiches. The acorn is falling further and further from the oak!
Old Nov 29, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by milepig
When I was growing up Pizza came in kit form in a box. A little package of crust mix, a can of sauce, and a little packet of "cheese." There may have been a version with pepperoni as well.
I had forgotten about those. Probably a good reason for that. Only had them a few times, and never the pepperoni. Jeez, we're talking the mid 60s here...
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:03 am

I remember that pizza box and also the spaghetti. As a kid, I liked it. Not a worst meal at all. Always good dinners in my parent's home. Off topic a bit, but if Chef Boyardi is the most processed type food of your childhood, that generation is less fat than younger people.
It was in the 70's that additives and carryout began undermining the diet of Americans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.