Reload this Page >

Your mother's worst meals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your mother's worst meals

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 4:25 pm

Mom generally didn't cook unless it involved a can of mushroom soup. Dad was a good cook but would occasionally make something he called wiener soup. Picture a sukiyaki-like broth with just eggs and hot dog sections boiled until they resembled Vienna Sausages in taste and texture. I am probably the least picky person I know, but I won't touch that stuff.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, I'll resurrect this thread given my other one about casseroles. My parents are both really good cooks.

A friend just posted this on Facebook the other day - the Ephrata United Presbyterian Church Women's Cookbook. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...JAPANESE DINNER.

Be sure to use your "special special" spices!

Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...JAPANESE DINNER.
And for extra flair when serving, slice the layers with a seppuku-style dagger, after which... Oh, never mind.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
OK, I'll resurrect this thread given my other one about casseroles. My parents are both really good cooks.

A friend just posted this on Facebook the other day - the Ephrata United Presbyterian Church Women's Cookbook. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...JAPANESE DINNER.

Be sure to use your "special special" spices!
Ephrata as in Ephrata, PA?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
Ephrata as in Ephrata, PA?
I think so but don't know - it's just from a friend of a friend's Facebook.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Growing up my mother had 3 rules for cooking. No salt, obscene amounts of garlic and all meat must be cooked to the very slim border between being usable as a hockey puck or carbon that will eventually form a diamond.

Her skills have drastically improved now that I'm in my (early) 30's.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by mile ho
Thank you for this thread.

My mother had many worst - and repeating - meals.

1. Wieners in dry corn tortillas. OMG.
Originally Posted by Steph3n
Wow I can think of only one way to make it worse, using vienna sausages!
Naw...

Sauerkraut would complete this masterpiece.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I would hope that I never see my kids posting here.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
OK I posted on this thread in post 40 - saying hands down cauliflower cheese done in a pressure cooker to a soggy mush - but I must add brussel sprouts also done in a pressure cooker to a soggy mush. My mother is now nearly 80 and does not understand al dente .
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I grew up in the House of Fussy. A family of 4, we had a 10 item rotation with no requests honored. My sister actually only ate 4 out of the 10. Where sides are not mentioned, assume canned corn. There was always a half a loaf of white bread and a bottle of molasses on the table.

1. Pork chops came from a frying pan. Remove the bone and fat and you had a medalion of porcine leather the size of a silver dollar. Apply applesauce liberally to swallow.

2. Spaghetti. Boiled for 20 minutes until it was good and fat. Home made sauce from Grandmother's recipe. Sauce production started right after breakfast. I always suspected that there was a missing second page of the recipe that contained the seasonings. I was wrong. It turns out Grandmother was Scottish. The meatballs were okay.

3. Hot dogs. Boiled. New England style buns. Beans.

4. Hamburgers. Made with meat that was at best 50% lean. Broiled in the oven, they couldn't be served until all the fat had cooked out and was sitting on top of the burger in greyish, slimy lumps. Mustard and relish were your only friends. Carrot and raisin salad.

5. Meatloaf. On a good day, probably the only edible choice in the rotation. Involved Lipton's Onion Soup Mix. Sometimes she didn't mix sufficiently and you would get a mouthful of nothing but salt. Once she tried a different recipe and my dad left the table after one bite and wouldn't speak to her for the rest of the night. Boiled potoatoes. Boiled spinach covered inexplicably in vinegar.

6. Chicken. Broiled. No seasoning. Salad was a bowl of iceberg lettuce. In the summer there might be sliced tomatoes on it. Thousand Island Dressing.

7. Eye of the Round. Well done. Lumpy Gravy. Mashed potatoes.

8. Hash. Diced potatoes and leftover eye of the round. Took a whole bottle of ketchup to moisten and get down.

9. Breakfast for dinner. Scrambled eggs. Toasted white bread. Bacon. Grape jelly to mix into your eggs. We were the only people I ever saw do this.

10. Friday had its own rotation. Tuna Salad, Broiled Swordfish, Egg salad. I got excited if my dad came home with take-out pizza. I had no idea that there were toppings for pizza. Cheese was good enough for us.

I learned to cook in my parents' kitchen. By the age of 16, I was cooking and eating things they'd never heard of. I always thought my dad was the reason for the limited menu, but as an adult, I would serve him new dishes and he would ask my mother why he'd never had them before. He always cleaned his plate. I love having my mother over for dinner, serving her all the stuff she never served me and watching her push it around the plate. I tell her no dessert unless she eats at least one Brussels sprout.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I love having my mother over for dinner, serving her all the stuff she never served me and watching her push it around the plate. I tell her no dessert unless she eats at least one Brussels sprout.
ROTFLOL ^
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
I got excited if my dad came home with take-out pizza. I had no idea that there were toppings for pizza. Cheese was good enough for us.
Every pizza that came into our house when I was a kid, which wasn't many, maybe 2 a year, was a cheese pizza. I didn't have toppings on a pie until I was 17, working, with my own money, and bought it myself. Probably why to this day I prefer my pizzas loaded with toppings.

(I actually kinda liked carrot and raisin salad. Haven't had it in probably 35 years though.)
Old Nov 22, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I would hope that I never see my kids posting here.
hi mum

That Japanese dinner sounds... horrific.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by exilencfc
hi mum

That Japanese dinner sounds... horrific.
Hehhehehehehe , supposedly am a good cook, maybe because I paid for their college education.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA
I grew up in the House of Fussy. A family of 4, we had a 10 item rotation with no requests honored. My sister actually only ate 4 out of the 10. Where sides are not mentioned, assume canned corn. There was always a half a loaf of white bread and a bottle of molasses on the table.

1. Pork chops came from a frying pan. Remove the bone and fat and you had a medalion of porcine leather the size of a silver dollar. Apply applesauce liberally to swallow.

2. Spaghetti. Boiled for 20 minutes until it was good and fat. Home made sauce from Grandmother's recipe. Sauce production started right after breakfast. I always suspected that there was a missing second page of the recipe that contained the seasonings. I was wrong. It turns out Grandmother was Scottish. The meatballs were okay.

3. Hot dogs. Boiled. New England style buns. Beans.

4. Hamburgers. Made with meat that was at best 50% lean. Broiled in the oven, they couldn't be served until all the fat had cooked out and was sitting on top of the burger in greyish, slimy lumps. Mustard and relish were your only friends. Carrot and raisin salad.

5. Meatloaf. On a good day, probably the only edible choice in the rotation. Involved Lipton's Onion Soup Mix. Sometimes she didn't mix sufficiently and you would get a mouthful of nothing but salt. Once she tried a different recipe and my dad left the table after one bite and wouldn't speak to her for the rest of the night. Boiled potoatoes. Boiled spinach covered inexplicably in vinegar.

6. Chicken. Broiled. No seasoning. Salad was a bowl of iceberg lettuce. In the summer there might be sliced tomatoes on it. Thousand Island Dressing.

7. Eye of the Round. Well done. Lumpy Gravy. Mashed potatoes.

8. Hash. Diced potatoes and leftover eye of the round. Took a whole bottle of ketchup to moisten and get down.

9. Breakfast for dinner. Scrambled eggs. Toasted white bread. Bacon. Grape jelly to mix into your eggs. We were the only people I ever saw do this.

10. Friday had its own rotation. Tuna Salad, Broiled Swordfish, Egg salad. I got excited if my dad came home with take-out pizza. I had no idea that there were toppings for pizza. Cheese was good enough for us.

I learned to cook in my parents' kitchen. By the age of 16, I was cooking and eating things they'd never heard of. I always thought my dad was the reason for the limited menu, but as an adult, I would serve him new dishes and he would ask my mother why he'd never had them before. He always cleaned his plate. I love having my mother over for dinner, serving her all the stuff she never served me and watching her push it around the plate. I tell her no dessert unless she eats at least one Brussels sprout.
This is hands-down the funniest FlyerTalk post I have ever read!

Last edited by cubbie; Nov 28, 2014 at 7:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.