Your mother's worst meals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your mother's worst meals

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
In general I loved - and still do when I visit - my mom's cooking. But there was this one soup she'd make that was a combination of every imaginable vegetable out there that ended up tasting like vinegar. It was repulsive, but the rule was you don't eat the soup, you don't get the main course or desert either. So I ate the damn thing. Luckily it only made the rotation once or twice a year but even 20-25 years later I can still taste that awful vinegary broth. Shudder.
Sounds like soup my MIL made for us once. It included lots of veggies, and was horrible.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by slawecki
every friday salmon croquets.
How could I have forgotten. Salmon loaf, made with that canned pink "salmon". I can still taste it.

In general I loved - and still do when I visit - my mom's cooking.
I also loved my mom's cooking, but find it funny that even otherwise great cooks seem to all have one disaster that they keep repeating.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:11 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by milepig
How could I have forgotten. Salmon loaf, made with that canned pink "salmon". I can still taste it.

I also loved my mom's cooking, but find it funny that even otherwise great cooks seem to all have one disaster that they keep repeating.
OMG, my mother also used that awful canned sockeye salmon. She made her "famous " salmon croquettes served with ketchup and canned corn. The other horrible dish she made was her completely indigestible meat loaf. I get heartburn just thinking about it.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I genuinely can't think of a disaster dish my mother would make - sure, there were things I didn't like, but the rest of the family did, but nothing she was notorious for.

I am envious of how good a cook my mother is, completely self-taught she can turn out amazing cuisine from a whole host of countries, usually without any recipe!

The one thing I couldn't stand her cooking tho was ham - the smell of it boiling was just vile, I did have to leave the house on days she did that (like Boxing Day!)
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:17 pm

Well, mom is now 84 while I am 55 and have not lived at
home for many many years.

I have no memories of bad meals... only good meals and
a concern that I was getting good nutrition.

Sure, there were some items I did not like... but looking back
now I appreciate the concern over the nutritional value of meals.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by kipper
Pierogies, cooked properly, and served properly, are delicious! I usually sauté onions in lots of butter while the pierogies are boiling, and then toss the pierogies into that mixture to fry.
You're talking to a Polish guy. If there is anything I know, it's pierogis.

She just called them that, because in Poland, that's the catch-all for all dumplings.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Mother : Boiled beef liver. Literally boiled in water, with nothing else. Then forced us to drink the water and eat the liver. Claiming it's good for our health.

MIL : Steak. That generation obviously believed that beef must be thoroughly cooked. The steak is pan fried ahead of time, then steamed, then microwave it right before dinner time.

Horror.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by Paul56
Well, mom is now 84 while I am 55 and have not lived at
home for many many years.

I have no memories of bad meals... only good meals and
a concern that I was getting good nutrition.

Sure, there were some items I did not like... but looking back
now I appreciate the concern over the nutritional value of meals.
So send her a card. The OP didn't ask for a Hallmark answer...

Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I can't think of any repeat disaster. One or tow things that were bad but it was generally a case of this is awful let's not have it again. Of course there was stuff not everyone liked but nothing that was repeatedly inedible
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:13 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:39 pm
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by notsosmart
So send her a card. The OP didn't ask for a Hallmark answer...

Ok, so you don't like your mother's cooking... nothing I can do about that.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by adamak
Mother : Boiled beef liver. Literally boiled in water, with nothing else. Then forced us to drink the water and eat the liver. Claiming it's good for our health.

[snip]
That is beyond bad. Sympathy to you.

In general I loved - and still do when I visit - my mom's cooking. But there was this one soup she'd make that was a combination of every imaginable vegetable out there that ended up tasting like vinegar. It was repulsive, but the rule was you don't eat the soup, you don't get the main course or desert either. So I ate the damn thing. Luckily it only made the rotation once or twice a year but even 20-25 years later I can still taste that awful vinegary broth. Shudder.
Well, I like foods that have vinegar in them, and I also like vegetables, and I like soup, so if you recall the recipe or thereabouts, would appreciate it if you would post it.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 11, 2012 at 4:56 pm Reason: Merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:55 pm

I recall when I was little my parents coming in late one night and fixing brains and scrambled eggs. So little I didn't think of refusing to eat it. I remember it was pretty good, the only time I've tasted brains in my life, and would be too squeamish now.

All those moms fixing dinner every single night using such conveniences as a can of mushroom soup for gravy... meat, a starch and a canned vegetable or frozen peas. Still, it was better overall than most families have today, using pizza and fast food takeout too often.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:00 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by milepig
...If there is another thread please suggest merging.
Maybe you're thinking of the opposite thread?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dinin...er-thread.html
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by angatol
Fried eggs. My mother used to fry them so long that I just scraped a bit of what was still edible off the top and then you could use the base as a space shuttle heat shield.
Are you bragging about my cooking again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.