The "Club Sandwich" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Denny's, Eureka, CA
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I never liked club sandwiches until I started eating them outside of the USA. No idea where we got the idea that they should be made with turkey instead of chicken, not to mention leaving off the absolutely essential egg

IMHO, the ones served in America generally look nothing like a "real" club, beyond the third piece of bread and the inclusion if some form of bacon.

That said, the ones that most stand out in my mind were the ones I ate while staying at the Astoria in St Petersburg (RU) and the Plaza Athenée in Paris. Yum!
Old Apr 13, 2014, 1:29 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Two best Club Sandwiches were at
Hassler in Rome
Hotel Du Cap, Antibes
Old Apr 13, 2014, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
I never liked club sandwiches until I started eating them outside of the USA. No idea where we got the idea that they should be made with turkey instead of chicken, not to mention leaving off the absolutely essential egg

IMHO, the ones served in America generally look nothing like a "real" club, beyond the third piece of bread and the inclusion if some form of bacon.

That said, the ones that most stand out in my mind were the ones I ate while staying at the Astoria in St Petersburg (RU) and the Plaza Athenée in Paris. Yum!
Egg on a club sandwich? I believe we had a thread about this. I agree with Doc Savage- Denny's club sandwich is great. Hilton is okay
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The RL Restaurant in Chicago does a great lobster club sandwich, that's been my favorite.

Recently I had one at Governor's Club, the country club my Father's a member of in Cary which served it with American cheese
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Bit of a thread bump.

I was musing on Club Sandwiches today. Do they exist outside of hotel pool or room service menus and airline J cabins? Do people order them in ‘normal’ cafés and restaurants? Make them at home?

I’ve certainly never had one outside of the 3 examples I gave above and can’t recall seeing them on other menus.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by krispy84
Bit of a thread bump.

I was musing on Club Sandwiches today. Do they exist outside of hotel pool or room service menus and airline J cabins? Do people order them in ‘normal’ cafés and restaurants? Make them at home?

I’ve certainly never had one outside of the 3 examples I gave above and can’t recall seeing them on other menus.
Once upon a time, I'd say they were fairly common around the USA on menus. Now, when you see one, it is typically something fancified, such as lobster (or whatever the "luxury" item with a $10 increase to the sandwich price).
JBord and krispy84 like this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I most often see them on menus at American places that focus on breakfast and also offer lunch.
krispy84 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Bit of a thread bump.

One of my yacht clubs does an outstanding club sandwich, so yes!
krispy84 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
One of my yacht clubs does an outstanding club sandwich, so yes!
Haha, does your yacht club fly the White Ensign?
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Bit of a thread bump.

Yes, here in Canada I've ordered them here and there. Cheesecake factory have one on the menu in the US as well, sometimes I will order one there they are OK, processed turkey though which I don't mind but not as good as the real stuff.

I don't make them at home though too much hassle just have a BLT.
krispy84 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Once upon a time, I'd say they were fairly common around the USA on menus. Now, when you see one, it is typically something fancified, such as lobster (or whatever the "luxury" item with a $10 increase to the sandwich price).
You can still find them in a lot of traditional diners. The places that make everything on a big flat-top. Those types of restaurants are an endangered species though...and some are adapting as you've pointed out. Fortunately, we still have a few old school places left in Chicago.
krispy84 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
To the multitude of varieties of Club sandwiches!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_sandwich

David
Old Sep 3, 2020, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
You can still find them in a lot of traditional diners. The places that make everything on a big flat-top. Those types of restaurants are an endangered species though...and some are adapting as you've pointed out. Fortunately, we still have a few old school places left in Chicago.
The sort of places that would have employed a traditional short order cook?
Old Sep 3, 2020, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bit of a thread bump.

On the highway, at roadside eateries, the Club is almost always a safe choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.