Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 13, 12, 6:22 pm   #1
Moderator: Travel Technology & Travel Photography
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,833
Chimichuri

I made chimichuri today. It wasn't half bad! Just some olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic and spices. The recipe called for an onion too, but I didn't have one. It seems like one of those things that can take a lot of variation in the recipe.

HOw do you like to make it?
gfunkdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 12, 7:30 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,048
I thought very, very finely minced parsley in olive oil was the main ingredient with garlic, red pepper and salt. No vinegar.
Tizzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 12, 6:29 am   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: A Scot in Provincia de Buenos Aires
Posts: 30,045
I make mine from finely chopped fresh oregano, fresh thyme if I have it...usually dies on me, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. Some people here put basil in it as well.
HIDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 12, 9:20 am   #4
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 355
I tried chimichuri several times at Chimichuri Grill in NY. Its small but classic. Exceptional flavor with beef sauce and chimichuri sauce. If you like scared animal flesh, its very consistent place with excellent steaks and fabulous sauces.
printingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 12, 9:44 am   #5
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels and TravelBuzz!
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: DL
Posts: 21,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzette View Post
I thought very, very finely minced parsley in olive oil was the main ingredient with garlic, red pepper and salt. No vinegar.
That is the preparation I had the other day. It was served with fried calamari.
Delicious.
obscure2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 12, 5:45 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cockeysville, MD
Programs: Marriott rewards platinum, american express platinum, Hertz Gold 5*
Posts: 6,164
I just started making it in the blender this year. Serve it over grilled, sliced steak. Mmmmmmmm
__________________
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.”---St. Augustine
Mr. Vker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 12, 8:56 am   #7
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Southern California/Los Angeles
Programs: AA EXP Hyatt PLT Hilton GLD HA,AS,VX all at PEON level
Posts: 2,517
Seems like Chimichurri is somewhat like a Garam Masala, in that the ingredients can vary by family, region, availability of ingredients. I'd say find one that best suits your palate by refining it.

The advice I will give is to use flat leaf (Italian) parsley over the curly Domestic kind. Also, if you do use parsley or basil, blanch and shock the leaves so that your sauce retains a nice lively green shade, as opposed to a dull dark green.
Robt760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 12, 9:19 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,048
Blanching and/or using the blender or Cuisineart doesn't produce as good taste and texture in chimichurri as parsley minced with a chef's knife. Minced parsley tastes better, has the right texture, and doesn't get brown before you can serve dinner. On the other hand, pesto with basil made in a blender turns out fine.
Tizzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 12, 8:37 am   #9
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Central Texas
Programs: AA, DL, CO, Marriott, HH
Posts: 6,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzette View Post
Blanching and/or using the blender or Cuisineart doesn't produce as good taste and texture in chimichurri as parsley minced with a chef's knife. Minced parsley tastes better, has the right texture, and doesn't get brown before you can serve dinner. On the other hand, pesto with basil made in a blender turns out fine.
Ditto mincing, especially using Italian "Flat leaf" instead of the cute but bland "Curly" variety. I suspect that the classic South American versions likewise may omit vinegar, but I like a squeeze of fresh lime juice in mine...
__________________
El Pelon Sinverguenza
John Donne: "No man is an island", especially if he posteth on Omni/PR.
TMOliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 12, 9:18 am   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: A Scot in Provincia de Buenos Aires
Posts: 30,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMOliver View Post
Ditto mincing, especially using Italian "Flat leaf" instead of the cute but bland "Curly" variety. I suspect that the classic South American versions likewise may omit vinegar, but I like a squeeze of fresh lime juice in mine...
I forgot to mention the parsley. I also know some people who add a touch of mayonnaise to theirs. Also the guy who owns the parrilla where we sometimes get a cooked chicken from uses a secret formula....he wouldn't tell me what he put in it when I asked him although there is definitely some lemon in there.

A lot of the chimichuri here is made from dry ready mixed stuff which you just add some vinegar and oil.
HIDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 14, 4:42 pm   #11
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ORD (MDW stinks)
Programs: UAMM, AA Plat, A/Plat IHG, Hyatt Plat, CC Gold
Posts: 20,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
HOw do you like to make it?
I'm ashamed to say I had never made it before, seeing as it is so darn easy I will be making it again in the near future.

Here is the recipe I made:
1. 1/4 cup coarsely chopped parsley
2. 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3. 4 large garlic cloves, minced (2 1/2 tablespoons)
4. 2 tablespoons oregano leaves
5. Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
6. 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

In a food processor, combine the parsley, vinegar, garlic, oregano and crushed red pepper. Process until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Transfer the sauce to a bowl and pour the olive oil over the mixture. Let stand for at least 20 minutes.

I did not process until smooth but only let the processor do a coarse chop.

I then grilled some fantastic skirt steaks on the grill & served with the chimichurri. The above recipe called for some red pepper flakes but I left those out by mistake, I know I or the other diners didn't miss them.
Sweet Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 14, 6:34 pm   #12
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: ORD and LIH
Programs: AA: 2 MM
Posts: 54,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie View Post
I'm ashamed to say I had never made it before, seeing as it is so darn easy I will be making it again in the near future.

Here is the recipe I made:
1. 1/4 cup coarsely chopped parsley
2. 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3. 4 large garlic cloves, minced (2 1/2 tablespoons)
4. 2 tablespoons oregano leaves
5. Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
6. 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

In a food processor, combine the parsley, vinegar, garlic, oregano and crushed red pepper. Process until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Transfer the sauce to a bowl and pour the olive oil over the mixture. Let stand for at least 20 minutes.

I did not process until smooth but only let the processor do a coarse chop.

I then grilled some fantastic skirt steaks on the grill & served with the chimichurri. The above recipe called for some red pepper flakes but I left those out by mistake, I know I or the other diners didn't miss them.
I presume that's fresh oregano?
__________________
Another ankle biting chihuahua always ready with inane and incomprehensible apologia!
ILuvParis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 14, 6:55 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: MI
Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, Delta-GM, Ford Truck-Millionmiler
Posts: 11
Seems like all of you are forgetting about the cilantro.

It should be the second main herb after the flat leaf parsley.
guller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 14, 7:01 pm   #14
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: ORD and LIH
Programs: AA: 2 MM
Posts: 54,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by guller View Post
Seems like all of you are forgetting about the cilantro.

It should be the second main herb after the flat leaf parsley.
I wondered about that. I googled chimichurri. Some recipes have it and some don't. Seems like some of those that have flat leaf parsley don't have cilantro and vice versa.
__________________
Another ankle biting chihuahua always ready with inane and incomprehensible apologia!
ILuvParis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 14, 7:08 pm   #15
Moderator: Travel Technology & Travel Photography
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,833
I've never liked cilantro.
gfunkdave is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:53 am.