Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you seek out brewery tours, tap rooms, stores, and brewpubs when you travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you seek out brewery tours, tap rooms, stores, and brewpubs when you travel?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Really appreciate the answers above, thanks guys ^
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
It's been a couple years, but I had an excellent meal at David's on Monument Square. Not too far from some of the places gfunkdave recommended. More restaurant than bar perhaps but I sat at the bar. Decent local beer selection. Very congenial bartenders. Menu ran from pub-ish up to full plates of delicious, well prepared food. The crowd was well, hip but that didn't faze an old-timer like me. I tend to blend in.
I went to that David's (they're a local chain) on my birthday last year and thought it was very pretentious for what it was. It wanted to be New American in California wine country but couldn't quite pull it off. Maybe I went on an off day.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I often try and make detours for brewery or distillery tours and wrote about some of my favorites in my blog here. (disclaimer that this is a link to my humble blog)

M all-time favorite tours is Sake Plaza in Tokyo where intrepid visitors can sample five of the best varieties both hot & cold in Japan for around $5 which is huge value.

I'm headed to Austin, TX in Nov. so are there any worthy distilled diversions in the downtown core such as brewery tours?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by tcook052

I'm headed to Austin, TX in Nov. so are there any worthy distilled diversions in the downtown core such as brewery tours?
Luckily, there are a ton of bars in Austin that focus on local beers.
They also focus quite often on food trucks as well. Rainey street district is an up and coming section with a ton of restaurants, bars and food trucks. Depending on where you are staying, it is walking distance or a short uber ride away.

6th street is well known, but the "dirty 6th" area is either college students or conventioneers. But there is good music and each bar has a good selection of local brews. The tacos at Chupacabra's are among the tastiest I have ever had. Not traditional, more gourmet. The bar Friends usually has good blues. Only downside is a ton of panhandlers.

West 6th street is the grown up part of 6th street with several bars/restaurants. Little Wooddrow's has a good selection of beers.

Lastly, the best bar for beers is probably The Ginger Man which is on 3rd and Lavaca. It is truly a craft beer bar. Tons of selections. http://thegingerman.com/austin/
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Lastly, the best bar for beers is probably The Ginger Man which is on 3rd and Lavaca. It is truly a craft beer bar. Tons of selections. http://thegingerman.com/austin/
I'm also a fan of Bangers Sausage & Beer Garden on Rainey Street. Fewer drunk college kids and over 100 beers on tap with very highly knowledgeable bartenders to serve them.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm also a fan of Bangers Sausage & Beer Garden on Rainey Street. Fewer drunk college kids and over 100 beers on tap with very highly knowledgeable bartenders to serve them.
Yes, I agree. Forgot about that one.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Arrow Another glaring omission

Oh geez. How did I miss this rubric?
(Probably because I don't logon to FlyerTalk all that often.)
Most of my trips these past three years have been in search of an article that will get me published -in print- in some publication, somewhere.
It hasn't happened yet. It is getting close to the point where I wonder if prospective publishers, now confronted with the fact that I now submit photographs with the proposed articles {this was the reason for which I used to get rejection letters}, look me up on the Internet and decide they want nothing more to do with me (except harvest my e-mail address for their advertisers' barrrages).
I'll keep trying though. I think this last trip to San Francisco for S. F. Beer Week 2016 should have something of interest to them. ^
Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:20 am

I don't look out for breweries or taps, but last year while in Amsterdam, I had some time and decided to visit the Heineken brewery, which they called the Heineken Experience, since it was within walking distance from the hotel that I was staying at.

Very touristy. I wouldn't do it again, but still fun nonetheless.

They had this machine to personalize Heineken bottles, which I bought some for friends as souvenirs.

And the best part of the tour was to drink some Heineken Beer Extra Cold (included as part of the price).

I bought my tickets to this place at some tourist shop in town, which was supposedly 2 Euro cheaper than buying at the actual attraction.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amsterdam has some great local beers, none of which are named Heineken.
One great pub to sample them is Proeflokaal Arendsnest
And if you want US craft beer while there, visit their sister bar Beer Temple.

On our visit there last summer, Dutch craft beers became my favorite, out shining most American craft beers.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:29 am

Last weekend I enjoyed a visit to the Great Dane Brewery in Madison, WI. A whole bunch of beers on tap and they sell both growlers and "crowlers" which are 32 ounce aluminum cans of their beer so you can take good beer into a place that doesn't allow glass.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Amsterdam has some great local beers, none of which are named Heineken.
One great pub to sample them is Proeflokaal Arendsnest
And if you want US craft beer while there, visit their sister bar Beer Temple.

On our visit there last summer, Dutch craft beers became my favorite, out shining most American craft beers.
There's also a great brewpub.
www.brouwerijhetij.nl/?lang=en
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I enjoyed my latest visit to Oyster City Brewing Company in Apalachicola. It is a pleasant taproom that spills out onto the surrounding sidewalk. Pretty town. Good beer. Nice weather this time of year.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:57 am

Had some time in Charleston this week and I decided to check out Holy City Brewing Company in North Charleston. It's in a bad neighborhood and really hard to find (Waze takes you down the wrong street) but it's pretty awesome. They have dozens of beers on tap and some food and as long as you don't mind the heat, outdoor seating.

pudgym29 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I'm a terrible photographer but this is the hospitality bar at Abita. At the time, the free tour included 4 tokens (mardi gras coins) that could be traded for beer samples. The art on the walls was pretty amazing. The pelican is made of Abita bottlecaps.
Attached Images   
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I enjoyed my latest visit to Oyster City Brewing Company in Apalachicola. It is a pleasant taproom that spills out onto the surrounding sidewalk. Pretty town. Good beer. Nice weather this time of year.
I'm sure you did this but The Owl Pub across the street had those beers and many more regional offerings along with fresh Apalachicola oysters from the waters outside. OMG!

We spent a day/night in Apalachicola and enjoyed it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.