Dinner cooked by an active volcano

Subscribe
Looks like I need to go back to the Canary Islands.

Quote:
Rather than relying on fire, electricity or natural gas, chefs at El Diablo heat their meat over a still-active volcano.

The one-of-a-kind grill is not spewing with lava (it hasn’t erupted since 1824); instead an iron grate sits over a circular basalt pit that funnels the earth’s natural heat to the surface, where temperatures range between 400C and 600C.

I must go here.
It is disappointing. The food had no flavour and just tasted burned, the restaurant had no atmosphere, and the grill makes the whole place too hot (aircon failed to keep up).

One of those ideas that sounds amazing but fails in practice.
Interesting. What did you order?
I don't think that the volcano fumes are good enough for you. The gases are being released from all the melted rocks and metals. It seems like cooking your dinner on industrial rubbish burn pile.
Quote: I don't think that the volcano fumes are good enough for you. The gases are being released from all the melted rocks and metals. It seems like cooking your dinner on industrial rubbish burn pile.
I've had street food cooked over what looked to be real coal in China, I guess it could have been some really SOLID charcoal(quite smoky it was too), but did not look like it, it was mighty tasty
Quote: It is disappointing. The food had no flavour and just tasted burned, the restaurant had no atmosphere, and the grill makes the whole place too hot (aircon failed to keep up).

One of those ideas that sounds amazing but fails in practice.
only on FT would the first response to this thread be a trip report... ^
Does it taste like Sulfur?
I've been telling everyone who would listen that we should build a grill over the gas fissure in Azerbaijan which the Soviets set fire to and nobody has been able to put out ever since.
OK, so apparently the food isn't that great - but how's the service/atmosphere?

I'm vegetarian, but a couple of my friends are meat eaters that love "experiences", and this does sound like the kind of thing they'd enjoy.
A German colleague of mine ate there and told me that it was wonderful.