Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone else prefer grapefruit to oranges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA

I think grapefruit is the far superior citrus. What do you think?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Especially the Pink ones
lhrsfo likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 5:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
If only they came in cutie size, seedless, and were easy to peel, they would be perfect...
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: *G
i think the pomelo is the most superior citrus
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by deniah
i think the pomelo is the most superior citrus
+1

Rind can be wonderfully aromatic too
Old Apr 20, 2012, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
I don't "prefer" it over oranges (blood orange is probably my favorite fruit), but I certainly consider it to be worthy of consideration...

I love a grapefruit for breakfast... the GF an I will split one every once in a while... if it's not sweet enough, I'll sprinkle some sugar (for her) or stevia (for me) on it to cut the sourness. Makes an excellent lo-cal brekkie.

Grapefruit also have some interesting properties that other citrus do not possess. For example, there is an enzyme that is unique to grapefruit, that blocks fat absorption in humans. So if you eat a grapefruit, or have a glass of grapefruit juice, before chowing down on a big sausage/bacon/potatos/eggs/etc. breakfast, you will actually "pass" more of the fat than you otherwise would.

There is another enzyme, also unique to grapefruit, that magnifies the effects of certain types of drugs. (It's why some drugs carry warning labels against grapefruit eating). You can google this for more info.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Oh yea, and a Stoli Greyhound is probably in my top 10 of cocktails. ^ ^

I think I'll have one or a few whilst watching the Yankees beat the Sox.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 1:15 pm

• Oranges and grapefruit are similar in vitamin content, but oranges offer 130 percent of the average daily value of vitamin C, while grapefruits have 100 percent.
  • Grapefruit contains low calories and citrus is no exception.
  • A half of a grapefruit has 60 calories and an orange has 80 calories.
  • Grapefruit is a better source of vitamin A, providing 35 percent of the daily value; oranges contain 2 percent.
  • Grapefruits are found in White, pink and ruby red colors. All have similar flavor and are appealingly juicy. The pink and red varieties have a higher vitamin content. The different kinds of oranges are sweet, sour and mandarin, or tangerine.
  • Both fruits provide small amounts of thiamine, niacin, foliate, riboflavin and B6.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by transparent
If only they came in cutie size, seedless, and were easy to peel, they would be perfect...
To make it peel easy, briefly dunk an orange or grapefruit into boiling water and let it sit a bit. When you're ready to eat it, it'll peel very easy and the pith (white stuff) won't be sticking to the fruit.

Can't help you with the seeds or size.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 1:38 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

While I enjoy eating oranges, I prefer grapefruit.
Originally Posted by reft
To make it peel easy, briefly dunk an orange or grapefruit into boiling water and let it sit a bit. When you're ready to eat it, it'll peel very easy and the pith (white stuff) won't be sticking to the fruit.
An even easier solution is to use the palm of your hand to firmly roll the citrus fruit around several times on a hard surface. This helps to loosen the peel from the fruit.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA, previously of CO.
You thread title is like a thought from my own mind! I eat one most days for breakfast. I peel it and eat it like an orange. My husband doesn't like the skin of the individual pieces, his Mom used to peel them for him, something I will never do....
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: OnePass Ex-Platinum now dirtinum
What a cruel, cruel thread.... I love grapefruit & could eat it for breakfast lunch 'n dinner.
But, the cardiologist says no.
Grapefruit has some sort of problems with quite a few medications & can render some of 'em useless. That's why you would rarely see it on the menu in a hospital.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:51 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I switched to grapefruit only recently after discovering the Harbor Island variety at our local Whole Foods. For whatever reason, I rarely see the Ruby variety here, but Ruby is all I see when I go to my parents' in California.

Harbor Island is pinkish but mostly white, and is not nearly as bitter. Still, I used to be a big orange juice fan and now think it is way too sweet, so my tastes have apparently adapted.

http://www.harborislandcitrus.com/menu/sweet-citrus
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I think grapefruit is the far superior citrus. What do you think?
Have you had a Sumo though?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by transparent
That sounds like the lychee, nature's best tropical fruit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.