Spicy Tuna Sushi Linked To Salmonella Outbreak In 20 States

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Spicy Tuna Sushi Linked To Salmonella Outbreak In 20 States

http://gothamist.com/2012/04/16/spic...salmonella.php

Spicy tuna sushi has been connected to an outbreak of Salmonella Bareilly in 20 states, according to a report from the CDC. 12 people have been hospitalized nationwide (no deaths, luckily), and New York State has seen the highest number of reported sicknesses (24 cases) by far. An investigation conducted by local, state, and federal officials has homed in on a frozen raw yellowfin tuna product known as Nakaochi Scrape, produced by the Moon Marine USA Corporation, based in California.

Nakaochi Scrape is, in the CDC's unappetizing words, "tuna backmeat that is scraped from the bones of tuna and may be used in sushi, sashimi, ceviche, and similar dishes. The product looks like raw ground tuna." Mmm, who'll be the first "extreme eater" to make a Spicy Tuna Pink Slime burger and consume on YouTube for instant viral infamy?

Moon Marine's spicy tuna has been recalled, and the investigation is ongoing. So far the CDC has located a total of 7 "clusters" at restaurants or grocery stores where 2 or more ate before getting sick. "In each cluster, at least one ill person reported eating sushi purchased at the restaurant or grocery store," says the CDC. The cluster gut bombs blew up in Connecticut, Maryland, Rhode Island, Texas, and Wisconsin.

I've long thought spicy tuna was nasty. What I didn't know is that it is really a sort of different "product" and not just chopped up sashimi grade tuna with a little spicy mayo. Nasty.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I am not a sushi expert as far as making roles but I eat a decent amount and I am pretty sure spicy tuna roles at a lot of places are just chopped up tuna with some sort of chili's chopped in there as well. As far as this being being "nasty", it is still meat. I guess if that is nasty then the idea of feasting off a dead animal in general is not much behind now is it?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:37 pm

The only reason a spicy tuna roll is nasty to me is because I hate mayonnaise. I'm sure when you get this kind of sushi at a reputable place the chopped up tuna is no less sushi grade than the whole pieces.

I've made a habit of buying the brown rice sushi at my local Ralph's lately. This is making me think twice about it.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I am not a sushi expert as far as making roles but I eat a decent amount and I am pretty sure spicy tuna roles at a lot of places are just chopped up tuna with some sort of chili's chopped in there as well.
That is what I believed as well. However, upon further investigation it appears that this is not the case. Spoke to a friend today who used to work in a sushi restaurant in Manhattan. He said the "spicy tuna" arrived at the store pre-made and pre-mixed with the spicy mayo.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:52 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
People need to ask their restaurants and stores how the stuff is prepared, if it comes in premade or not, etc.

At least one lawyer's office has stepped up and started taking cases in all fifty states.

http://www.schmidtlaw.com/spicy-tuna...oning-lawsuit/

The CDC page is here

http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/bareilly-04-12/

Last edited by cordelli; Apr 16, 2012 at 2:11 pm
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
That is what I believed as well. However, upon further investigation it appears that this is not the case. Spoke to a friend today who used to work in a sushi restaurant in Manhattan. He said the "spicy tuna" arrived at the store pre-made and pre-mixed with the spicy mayo.
I am very picky about where I eat sushi. At my favorite sushi place, the chefs chop the fish and prepare the spicy tuna to order.

I am having a craving their spicy tuna with avocado on rice cakes as I am typing this.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
In all of the Japanese restaurants I've worked at, we used bits of tuna that couldn't be used for sushi/sashimi to make spicy "salad".

Granted, these were better-than-average places, but still, I'd never heard of the practice of buying prepackaged tuna "scrapes". No self-respecting "true" sushi chef would ever use such a product. Fraudulent "sushi chefs" might. Know where you eat.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:15 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Never liked mayo, and always tell the waitress at my sushi place to tell the chef to leave it out.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 2:13 am

I love spicy tuna and I had no idea that it generally came pre-made.

I learned something new today.

Now, where can one buy the spiced mayo? Or does a FTer have a recipe?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Well it wasn't this one then: Japan tuna sale smashes record
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by notsosmart
In all of the Japanese restaurants I've worked at, we used bits of tuna that couldn't be used for sushi/sashimi to make spicy "salad".

Granted, these were better-than-average places, but still, I'd never heard of the practice of buying prepackaged tuna "scrapes". No self-respecting "true" sushi chef would ever use such a product. Fraudulent "sushi chefs" might. Know where you eat.
Well, there are a lot of places that don't have "true" sushi chefs. Also, pre-packaged supermarket stuff is everywhere.

Blech. What, did they have chickens plucking the flesh off which caused the salmonella spread? (There is no "vomit" smilie.)
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:35 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by sparkchaser
Now, where can one buy the spiced mayo? Or does a FTer have a recipe?
Lots of the recipes I've seen have been something like mix Sriracha into Mayo until desired heat. Pretty simple.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by cordelli
Lots of the recipes I've seen have been something like mix Sriracha into Mayo until desired heat. Pretty simple.
Maybe a little squeeze of lemon for freshness, but it should require nothing more. With only 2-3 ingredients, quality matters. If you aren't going to make your own mayo, then use a good quality store brand.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My favorite spicy tuna rolla ever was at Hamano in San Francisco. It was diced fresh tuna, a little sriracha, and a mint leaf. Awesome!
Old Apr 17, 2012, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
Oh, well that's simple enough.

Speaking of mayo: Duke's or go home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.