Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Celebrity butcher sacked after selling banned foie gras under the counter

Old Feb 18, 2012, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.

Ugh, this is such a crock of ----

A celebrity butcher who sold top of the range meat to the rich and famous at Selfridges in London has been given the chop today after secretly selling banned foie gras in the store.

Jack O'Shea has been forced to close his butchers based in the high end department store after he was exposed for selling the controversial goose liver on undercover camera footage.

He was filmed serving customers who used the code term 'French fillet' packets of the French delicacy imported from Paris, weighing 795g, for 39.40.
Originally Posted by Jack O'Shea
'Stuffing a goose with grain is like stuffing me with Guinness. It has been totally blown out of proportion.'
Right on, sir. ^ ^
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:46 pm

39 pounds for 800g of (presumably good quality) foie gras is not bad...

The ban is ridiculous. I would move out of a city that banned the stuff faster than you can say "French Fillet".
Old Feb 22, 2012, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The city hasn't banned it, you can still buy it all over London. It is the store, Selfridges, that has removed it from its stores due to its animal cruelty stance.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:13 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MtlChris

The ban is ridiculous. I would move out of a city that banned the stuff faster than you can say "French Fillet".
Amen !!!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by MtlChris

Absolutely agree !
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
The store had rules. This guy decided to break them. The store was within their right to ask him to leave. If they want to have an ethical policy relating to what food is sold in store, then all parties should abide by that. If he couldn't abide by the requirements of his landowner, then he should have left, rather than trying to circumvent rules he didn't intend to abide by.

The production of foie is extremely contentious and it's not something I would ever chose to eat, as I couldn't eat it knowing the suffering that animals have gone through to produce it.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I was recently in France where I was thankfully enjoying a by-product of foie gras cultivation. No qualms about gavage there!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: BA
Private Eye

There's an article about this in the latest edition of Private Eye.

Unsurprisingly, (perhaps) there is more to this than the sale of Foie Gras. The allegations are that as far back as 2009, there were reports of serious hygiene breaches.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.