Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Balik salmon

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by PokerHammy
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

At LHR terminal 3 now. The Balik order that just arrived looks wonderful. Thanks for this thread as a reminder.
Mmmmm... Buying any home?
No, but I was there last Thursday. I have been an EXP for several years but this year dropped to Platinum. The lack of access to the BA first lounge is going to result in increased time at Caviar House. Had the balik plate and a glass of Sancerre. Yumm.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I did end up buying a box home from LHR last year. The salmon didn't taste as good as it did in CX F.
Originally Posted by savekenny
Having had this several times on CX F, the one distinct difference is the very subtle flavor of the salmon, vs. the over saltiness you'd find in say, salmon served in the Hyatt lounges.
Your ability to perceive saltiness (and sweetness, etc.) decreases dramatically at flight altitudes. Something like 20 or 30% if I recall correctly?

Even things like wine are selected by airline catering for how they will taste at 35k feet, which often has nothing to do with how they taste on the ground.

Case in point: I enjoy Jack Daniels, neat, but when I've tried to drink it on a flight it tasted like gasoline.

ETA: Just found this rather timely and fascinating article regarding the of effect flying on flavor perception, as well as other catering challenges.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Apr 18, 2014 at 11:33 am Reason: added article link
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Quote:

I did end up buying a box home from LHR last year. The salmon didn't taste as good as it did in CX F.

Quote:

Originally Posted by savekenny

Having had this several times on CX F, the one distinct difference is the very subtle flavor of the salmon, vs. the over saltiness you'd find in say, salmon served in the Hyatt lounges.

Your ability to perceive saltiness (and sweetness, etc.) decreases dramatically at flight altitudes. Something like 20 or 30% if I recall correctly?

Even things like wine are selected by airline catering for how they will taste at 35k feet, which often has nothing to do with how they taste on the ground.

Case in point: I enjoy Jack Daniels, neat, but when I've tried to drink it on a flight it tasted like gasoline.

ETA: Just found this rather timely and fascinating article regarding the of effect flying on flavor perception, as well as other catering challenges.
Dang. Then that nasty lox that Delta serves on BE transcon must taste like pure salt bricks on the ground!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:23 am
uk1
Suspended

A note to any UK posters ... Ocado sell this.

Ł19.95 for 260gms ....

Some being delivered tommorow ...

Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:03 am
uk1
Suspended

I tried some for the first time today ... and have to be honest and say I don't get it at all. I can see that the fish itself is superior. It's texture is first class. But to me it is hopelessly under-smoked.

As an East-ender I believe that Formans London Cure is far, far much better.

http://www.formans.co.uk/home.php
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I like the fact that it is very lightly smoked, almost sashimi in texture.

Too much smoke, for me, ruins the delicate taste of the fish.

I also like the way it's cut, as opposed to the thin slices you more commonly see.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:00 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by PresRDC
I like the fact that it is very lightly smoked, almost sashimi in texture.

Too much smoke, for me, ruins the delicate taste of the fish.

I also like the way it's cut, as opposed to the thin slices you more commonly see.
I agree about too much smoke. But this seemed to have no smoke, in fact no real flavour - just wonderful texture. Ours was supplied (I thought they all were ...) uncut to preserve freshness.

Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1
I agree about too much smoke. But this seemed to have no smoke, in fact no real flavour - just wonderful texture. Ours was supplied (I thought they all were ...) uncut to preserve freshness.

It is very lightly smoked and I can totally see how someone would think it lacks flavor. For me, though, it's about perfect.

I've never actually bought it, only had it on CX. I may well buy some later this year, though.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:54 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by PresRDC
It is very lightly smoked and I can totally see how someone would think it lacks flavor. For me, though, it's about perfect.

I've never actually bought it, only had it on CX. I may well buy some later this year, though.
I suspect that buying it vacuum packed ready for you to cut will be spot on for you - as I can see that it is perfect at what it intends to be. Obviously helps if you have a salmon knife.

I also smoke my own salmon so I guess all of us have our own taste in these things.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1
I also smoke my own salmon so I guess all of us have our own taste in these things.
That's what makes life interesting!
Old May 20, 2014, 2:15 am

Back at LHR and just finished a very nice breakfast of a classic balik platter and a glass of house champagne at caviar house. This thread keeps in giving.
Old May 25, 2014, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Envying...
Old May 26, 2014, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Back at LHR and just finished a very nice breakfast of a classic balik platter and a glass of house champagne at caviar house. This thread keeps in giving.
Sounds like a tempting alternative to the lounge food. Just curious: How much does that breakfast cost?
Old May 26, 2014, 1:12 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Sounds like a tempting alternative to the lounge food. Just curious: How much does that breakfast cost?
I think it was about 35 pounds including the champagne and two small bottles of still water.
Old May 29, 2014, 12:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

I think it was about 35 pounds including the champagne and two small bottles of still water.
Sounds fancy, as does the price!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.