Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are your 5 Favorite Ethnic/Regional Foods-Restaurant

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: VS AU, AS 75K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by braslvr
I've heard that place mentioned soooooo many times, not only here, that I'm about ready to book a trip to Vegas just to try it. The best Thai food I've had in the US so far is mediocre or worse.
It is fantastic...
Old Feb 19, 2012, 2:52 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skchin
I'm currently in mood for Vientnamese or Arabic food.
where you live the latter is an easy fix!!!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by braslvr
I've heard that place mentioned soooooo many times, not only here, that I'm about ready to book a trip to Vegas just to try it. The best Thai food I've had in the US so far is mediocre or worse.

I'll be honest and say I don't eat in many Thai places. And I can only talk about places I have been to. But I enjoy LoS a lot. I think part of the reason I like is because if I am eating there, I am in one of my favorite places to be. Las Vegas.

Originally Posted by phillygold
+1,000,000!!!! And the fried chicken there is great.
Yes it is. It too is some of the top fried chicken I have had.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, CO Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
I'd like to nominate a strip mall in Durham, NC. I wouldn't include any of the restaurants as the best ethnic/regional restaurants, but combined together in an average-looking strip mall, it's my current go-to place for lunch in the Raleigh/Durham area.

Off Highway 55. Has the most wonderful Bolivian empanadas place (Sarah's?), Papa Mojos (decent creole and fun bar), a fantastic Thai restaurant (with the best ginger/cilantro dressing for salads), very solid Indian buffet, and a new Mongolian place that was promising in my one visit. Backyard BBQ was just a walk down the road in case you need a fix of delicious Eastern NC barbeque. A couple of other non-chain sandwich places as well that are fine but nothing I'd drive to.

The one ethnic restaurant I'd like to include from Raleigh is Machu Picchu, a Peruvian restaurant off of Falls of the Neuse road. Best ceviche trio I've ever had ...
Old Feb 20, 2012, 1:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kentski
I'd like to nominate a strip mall in Durham, NC. I wouldn't include any of the restaurants as the best ethnic/regional restaurants, but combined together in an average-looking strip mall, it's my current go-to place for lunch in the Raleigh/Durham area.

Off Highway 55. Has the most wonderful Bolivian empanadas place (Sarah's?), Papa Mojos (decent creole and fun bar), a fantastic Thai restaurant (with the best ginger/cilantro dressing for salads), very solid Indian buffet, and a new Mongolian place that was promising in my one visit. Backyard BBQ was just a walk down the road in case you need a fix of delicious Eastern NC barbeque. A couple of other non-chain sandwich places as well that are fine but nothing I'd drive to.
So I just Googled this and it seems I've driven by this strip mall maybe fifty times in the last year and have even shopped at the CVS across the street and never went to any of the restaurants. They're all going on my list now!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:39 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I've too many too count, but in the spirit of FT magnanimity, Jakarta has at least two to mention:

Woku Blangan, Manado cuisine, Jl. H. Agus Salim No. 19 (near Sarinah/Jalan Thamrin)-food from Manado, a city in northeast Sulawesi, is generally quite spicy, seafood-friendly, and can also have dog and bat (as much of the Manadonese are Christian, some of the food may not be halal). This is the one cuisine that I can't find in the NYC-area that I think about everyday.

Dapur Sunda, a chain (at least in Jakarta) of Sundanese eateries. Sunda is a region in western Java, and the cuisine combines spicy and sweet and is halal.

A bonus of both of these places is that they have always have soap...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.