Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Dr. Pepper 10, the diet soda for those who don't like diet sodas.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon

Launched with massive "Male-Centric" advertising, a lot of sizzle for a modest steak, the product far exceeded my expectations. To me, the 10 calorie dollop of HFCS masked the frequently unpleasant aftertaste of aspartane (which is unlikely to kill me quicker than other forms of self-abuse and rears its head in almost every diet soda I've tried). "10" actually tastes like the old familiar beverage of my youth, at 10, 2 and 4, Dr. Pepper.

I'm spent much of my life in the birthplace of Dr. Pepper, not far from the museum/soda fountain that celebrates the beverage, and it's a flavor as familiar to me as that of a good cup of coffee, and now I can once again drink the wine of youth with clear conscience anda satisfied palate.

No, it's not a great pinot noir, but sure beats Diet Coke or those soapy offerings from Pepsi.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Tried it. Didn't care for it. Still has the diet soda aftertaste.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver (whoopie, why am I bothering, again?)
From their website, artificial sweeteners bolded by me (sorry for the caps, but I am not retyping this):

CARBONATED WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CARAMEL COLOR, PHOSPHORIC ACID, ASPARTAME, SODIUM BENZOATE, CAFFEINE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, SODIUM PHOSPHATE

So it's HFCS and not one but two artificial sweeteners.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I enjoyed it. Tried it for free thanks to Sheetz, and their My Sheetz card. I haven't purchased it since, but I did enjoy it.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 4:38 am

As far as diet sodas go, my favorites are Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Moxie. I'll have to try Diet Big Red sometime, as Big Red was my favorite many years ago, along with RC Cola. Anybody remember those RC bottle caps where you could win money based on what was written inside? If I found "10¢" I was king for a day.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by lancebanyon
As far as diet sodas go, my favorites are Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Moxie. I'll have to try Diet Big Red sometime, as Big Red was my favorite many years ago, along with RC Cola. Anybody remember those RC bottle caps where you could win money based on what was written inside? If I found "10¢" I was king for a day.
Diet Moxie?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by kipper
Diet Moxie?
Oh yeah, Moxie is great, but apparently only really popular in the North East. I always buy some when I go back to New Hampshire. I think there are several FT threads devoted to Moxie.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Love those regional sodas. Like Green River in Chicago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_R...8soft_drink%29

Or Ale-8-One from Winchester, KY: http://ale8one.com/
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by lancebanyon
Oh yeah, Moxie is great, but apparently only really popular in the North East. I always buy some when I go back to New Hampshire. I think there are several FT threads devoted to Moxie.
I'll have to see if I can find some to try.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I am drinking OOgave ginger ale now, and have been enjoying Zevia sodas when I want a soda of late, the root beer zevia is quite good.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 8:09 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,AA Platinum, Amex Platinum
Good God, I don't know how you drink Moxie, it's not even popular in the Northeast haha
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:00 am

I find Diet Verner's Ginger Ale quite tasty with my favorite spirit, and I am a Southern boy at heart
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dchristiva
Tried it. Didn't care for it. Still has the diet soda aftertaste.
I did not like it either, but DPSG will have a "Ten" version of most of their drinks: Sunkist, Canada Dry ginger ale, 7-Up, and A&W. FYI, drinks with less than 5 calories to report as "0 calories", while those with 50 calories or less need to round to the nearest 5 calorie increment, per the FDA.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K
Zero

Originally Posted by TMOliver
but sure beats Diet Coke or those soapy offerings from Pepsi.
Have you tried coke Zero? That stufff is amazing. It tastes just like regular coke. I wonder if this Dr. pepper uses the same chemicals that coke Zero does.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Have you tried coke Zero? That stufff is amazing. It tastes just like regular coke. I wonder if this Dr. pepper uses the same chemicals that coke Zero does.
What's odd is that while I don't like Coke Zero, I do like Dr. Pepper 10.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.