FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Dr. Pepper 10, the diet soda for those who don't like diet sodas. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1298374-dr-pepper-10-diet-soda-those-who-dont-like-diet-sodas.html)

TMOliver Jan 4, 2012 9:11 am

Dr. Pepper 10, the diet soda for those who don't like diet sodas.

Launched with massive "Male-Centric" advertising, a lot of sizzle for a modest steak, the product far exceeded my expectations. To me, the 10 calorie dollop of HFCS masked the frequently unpleasant aftertaste of aspartane (which is unlikely to kill me quicker than other forms of self-abuse and rears its head in almost every diet soda I've tried). "10" actually tastes like the old familiar beverage of my youth, at 10, 2 and 4, Dr. Pepper.

I'm spent much of my life in the birthplace of Dr. Pepper, not far from the museum/soda fountain that celebrates the beverage, and it's a flavor as familiar to me as that of a good cup of coffee, and now I can once again drink the wine of youth with clear conscience anda satisfied palate.

No, it's not a great pinot noir, but sure beats Diet Coke or those soapy offerings from Pepsi.

dchristiva Jan 4, 2012 9:13 am

Tried it. Didn't care for it. Still has the diet soda aftertaste.

WildPlumYonder Jan 4, 2012 9:34 am

From their website, artificial sweeteners bolded by me (sorry for the caps, but I am not retyping this):

CARBONATED WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CARAMEL COLOR, PHOSPHORIC ACID, ASPARTAME, SODIUM BENZOATE, CAFFEINE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, SODIUM PHOSPHATE

So it's HFCS and not one but two artificial sweeteners.

kipper Jan 4, 2012 9:35 am

I enjoyed it. Tried it for free thanks to Sheetz, and their My Sheetz card. I haven't purchased it since, but I did enjoy it. :)

VivoPerLei Jan 5, 2012 4:38 am

As far as diet sodas go, my favorites are Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Moxie. I'll have to try Diet Big Red sometime, as Big Red was my favorite many years ago, along with RC Cola. Anybody remember those RC bottle caps where you could win money based on what was written inside? If I found "10¢" I was king for a day.

kipper Jan 5, 2012 6:04 am

Originally Posted by lancebanyon (Post 17751447)
As far as diet sodas go, my favorites are Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Moxie. I'll have to try Diet Big Red sometime, as Big Red was my favorite many years ago, along with RC Cola. Anybody remember those RC bottle caps where you could win money based on what was written inside? If I found "10¢" I was king for a day.

Diet Moxie?

VivoPerLei Jan 5, 2012 6:09 am

Originally Posted by kipper (Post 17751745)
Diet Moxie?

Oh yeah, Moxie is great, but apparently only really popular in the North East. I always buy some when I go back to New Hampshire. I think there are several FT threads devoted to Moxie.

toomanybooks Jan 5, 2012 6:26 am

Love those regional sodas. Like Green River in Chicago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_R...8soft_drink%29

Or Ale-8-One from Winchester, KY: http://ale8one.com/

kipper Jan 5, 2012 7:07 am

Originally Posted by lancebanyon (Post 17751765)
Oh yeah, Moxie is great, but apparently only really popular in the North East. I always buy some when I go back to New Hampshire. I think there are several FT threads devoted to Moxie.

I'll have to see if I can find some to try. :)

Steph3n Jan 5, 2012 5:50 pm

I am drinking OOgave ginger ale now, and have been enjoying Zevia sodas when I want a soda of late, the root beer zevia is quite good.

FlyersFan617 Jan 27, 2012 8:09 am

Good God, I don't know how you drink Moxie, it's not even popular in the Northeast haha

MrMan Jan 27, 2012 10:00 am

I find Diet Verner's Ginger Ale quite tasty with my favorite spirit, and I am a Southern boy at heart

csufabel Jan 29, 2012 11:02 am

Originally Posted by dchristiva (Post 17745229)
Tried it. Didn't care for it. Still has the diet soda aftertaste.

I did not like it either, but DPSG will have a "Ten" version of most of their drinks: Sunkist, Canada Dry ginger ale, 7-Up, and A&W. FYI, drinks with less than 5 calories to report as "0 calories", while those with 50 calories or less need to round to the nearest 5 calorie increment, per the FDA.

SFflyer123 Jan 29, 2012 11:11 am

Zero

Originally Posted by TMOliver (Post 17745207)
but sure beats Diet Coke or those soapy offerings from Pepsi.

Have you tried coke Zero? That stufff is amazing. It tastes just like regular coke. I wonder if this Dr. pepper uses the same chemicals that coke Zero does.

kipper Jan 29, 2012 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by SFflyer123 (Post 17909309)
Have you tried coke Zero? That stufff is amazing. It tastes just like regular coke. I wonder if this Dr. pepper uses the same chemicals that coke Zero does.

What's odd is that while I don't like Coke Zero, I do like Dr. Pepper 10.