Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Champagne - Questions/Suggestions/Recommendations" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Champagne - Questions/Suggestions/Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:18 am

I just tried the Gruet Brut last night. Not bad, but I thought it was a little too yeasty.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA
I've had everything from Andre to Dom (nothing "better" than Dom) and, since I actually pay for my sparkling wine/champagne, I like Veuve Cliquot as the best compromise between availability, price, and flavor/texture.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Beven12S
I've had everything from Andre to Dom (nothing "better" than Dom) and, since I actually pay for my sparkling wine/champagne, I like Veuve Cliquot as the best compromise between availability, price, and flavor/texture.
Finally! Someone with good taste.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
Schramsberg blanc de blanc. With the right coupons, you can get this for under $25/bottle at total wine.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by sig05
Schramsberg blanc de blanc. With the right coupons, you can get this for under $25/bottle at total wine.
Hmmm. Thinking. Ok maybe I'll check it out, thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:49 pm

Hmmm. Thinking. Ok maybe I'll check it out, thanks.
We drink Chandon as an everyday, schramsberg, Perrier Jouët, Taittinger, Louis Roederer, and Dom Ruinart often.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by sig05
We drink Chandon as an everyday, schramsberg, Perrier Jouët, Taittinger, Louis Roederer, and Dom Ruinart often.
Chandon CA is nothing special IMHO. I've had Chandon Argentina a few times (including yesterday - en Playa del Carmen, MX currently) and find it far superior to CA Chandon.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 3:56 pm

Like saying McDonald's is the best burger, Oreo is the best cookie, mass product distribution and wide-spread availability usually doesn't align with critical greatness.

Create a Champagne with taste profile right down centerfield and juice it up with a nice sweet dosage. Back it up with a billion dollar marketing engine and you've got the 'best Champagne in the world'.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by JackInThePlane

Like saying McDonald's is the best burger, Oreo is the best cookie, mass product distribution and wide-spread availability usually doesn't align with critical greatness.

Create a Champagne with taste profile right down centerfield and juice it up with a nice sweet dosage. Back it up with a billion dollar marketing engine and you've got the 'best Champagne in the world'.
OK then. Put up or shut up. Give me the name of at least one good champagne.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are looking for a reasonably priced Champagne available in 187mL bottles. The idea is to serve them to people after our wedding ceremony when we all get on a little train ride - Champagne toast on the train. There will follow a cocktail hour and dinner. The train is just for a champagne toast and 30-60 minute ride with photos.

What do people recommend in the $10-15 per bottle range? I'd be buying about 100 of them.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 3:08 pm

Why champagne? Why not try a good Italian prosecco? Trader Joe's has some good choices, including Conegliano Valdobbiadene Prosecco, for $9.99 per bottle. The label resembles Dom. It's pretty good and dry. Most of your guests won't know the difference between champagne and sparkling wine. Not sure it comes in the small bottles though.

Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
We are looking for a reasonably priced Champagne available in 187mL bottles. The idea is to serve them to people after our wedding ceremony when we all get on a little train ride - Champagne toast on the train. There will follow a cocktail hour and dinner. The train is just for a champagne toast and 30-60 minute ride with photos.

What do people recommend in the $10-15 per bottle range? I'd be buying about 100 of them.
I'd be tempted to go with Laurent-Perrier Brut. It should be available in splits in your price range. Mumm Napa Brut Prestige is also quite nice if you are willing to go California sparkler, and goes for about 7 bucks per split. The Mumm actually made Wine Spectator's Top 100 list.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
I'd be tempted to go with Laurent-Perrier Brut. It should be available in splits in your price range.
I could not agree more. The wedding attendees will be friends forever.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:27 pm

OK then. Put up or shut up. Give me the name of at least one good champagne.
The truth of the matter is that there are countless excellent Champagnes in the same price range as the undrinkable mass marketed swill that is Veuve yellow label. Most of them are small producers.

Here are a few off the top of my head in the $35-$50 range:

Aubry Brut
Chartogne-Taillet Cuvée Ste. Anne
Vilmart Cuvée Reservée
Pierre Peters Blanc des Blancs
Agrapart Terroirs
H. Billiot Brut
Marie Noelle-Ledru
Marc Hebrart Cuvée de Reserve
Bereche Brut Reserve
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by travellingwineO
The truth of the matter is that there are countless excellent Champagnes in the same price range as the undrinkable mass marketed swill that is Veuve yellow label. Most of them are small producers.

Here are a few off the top of my head in the $35-$50 range:

Aubry Brut
Chartogne-Taillet Cuvée Ste. Anne
Vilmart Cuvée Reservée
Pierre Peters Blanc des Blancs
Agrapart Terroirs
H. Billiot Brut
Marie Noelle-Ledru
Marc Hebrart Cuvée de Reserve
Bereche Brut Reserve
Thanks. I will look for these. Not sure if I will find them locally but I will give it a try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.