Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Champagne - Questions/Suggestions/Recommendations" thread

Consolidated "Champagne - Questions/Suggestions/Recommendations" thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by zitsky
Depends on where you buy it. I rembember it being 35 in California years ago, but now it is 45 at Costco and 55 in my local wine store in NC.
It's been $42 at Costco in Chicago for many months - but it was $37 during the holidays and $37 at my local Binny's (an area liquor store chain) last week. But it's usually in the $45 range locally.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I happen to notice Veuve at my local wine store the other day. It was somewhere around $55.

Finally opened up a Costco fairly close to me...might have to check it out.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
There's an importer close to home that is big on Egly-Ouriet. How was pricing on the RMs in Champagne as compared to buying in the USA?
I think there is little, if any, difference in pricing. The advantage to buying RMs in Champagne is that you'll be able to get stuff that you'll be unlikely able to buy at home.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Jan 16, 2016 at 9:58 pm
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Depends on where you buy it. I rembember it being 35 in California years ago, but now it is 45 at Costco and 55 in my local wine store in NC.
It's $45 at Total Wine at least the Total Wine in Durham. Definitely the cheapest I've found in the Durham / Chapel Hill area (though I think Harris Teeter had it at $50 leading up to Christmas / New Years) though I haven't been to the Durham Costco so don't know how it compares.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:29 am

Programs: points traveller
i really like the toasty/ buttery notes of Ruinart BdB.

does anyone have any recommendations for a similar drop at a lower price point? unfortunately the budget doesn't extend that far very often.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Clint Bint
Fact is a lot of name brand French champagne is rubbish and no better or worse than a decent cava or prosecco.
I stopped in at a local wine store to pick-up a bottle of the name brand French champagnes for a very good client and opted to try an Italian prosecco tonight for myself. The bottle of La Marca is crisp & clean with hints of citrus and good effervescence. For CAD$16 a nice prosecco I'll probably try again.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I happen to notice Veuve at my local wine store the other day. It was somewhere around $55.

Finally opened up a Costco fairly close to me...might have to check it out.
Typically 56 at Publix (grocery), but was on sale recently for 39.99.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by sig05
Typically 56 at Publix (grocery), but was on sale recently for 39.99.
How recently? There is a Publix in my area.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:49 pm

How recently? There is a Publix in my area.
Sale ended maybe 2-3 weeks ago. Was definitely the best price I've seen locally (JAX). Noticed the sale in the weekly ad.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tcook052
I stopped in at a local wine store to pick-up a bottle of the name brand French champagnes for a very good client and opted to try an Italian prosecco tonight for myself. The bottle of La Marca is crisp & clean with hints of citrus and good effervescence. For CAD$16 a nice prosecco I'll probably try again.
I'm a big fan of LaMarca. Usually about $12 here when on sale. It's our go to for bubbles when we just want something reliable but not fancy.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Clint Bint
Fact is a lot of name brand French champagne is rubbish and no better or worse than a decent cava or prosecco.
The allure of champagne is really down to the aggressive protection of the brand by the French and good marketing.
Undoubtedly there is plenty of truth in this statement, there is also plenty of Champagne (both name brand and grower Champagnes) that lives up to the region's exalted reputation and puts virtually any Cava or Prosecco to shame. No sparkling wine on earth compares to the best Champagne can offer.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by travellingwineO
Undoubtedly there is plenty of truth in this statement, there is also plenty of Champagne (both name brand and grower Champagnes) that lives up to the region's exalted reputation and puts virtually any Cava or Prosecco to shame. No sparkling wine on earth compares to the best Champagne can offer.
Or even the better Champagne has to offer. If I was a moderator, any posts about Cava, Prosecco or sparkling wine would be deleted. The thread is about Champagne, after all!
Old Feb 2, 2016, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Or even the better Champagne has to offer. If I was a moderator, any posts about Cava, Prosecco or sparkling wine would be deleted. The thread is about Champagne, after all!
Agreed! Right now our 'house' Champagne is NV Aubry Brut. I paid about $30/bottle and it is much better than any other non-Champagne sparkler I've ever had, including higher end Cavas. On the flip side, I think there are plenty of Cavas (and sparkling Vouvrays and Cremants de Bourgogne and Cremants d'Alsace- you get the idea-) that blow Veuve yellow label out of the water. I find that stuff undrinkable.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I agree too! I just had a bottle of Taittinger from my hotel minibar. Had it had been Cava or Prosecco I would not have bothered.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gruet Brut Sauvage again last night for Valentine's Day. Yummy.

Admittedly, though, not quite up to the level of the small-producer Champagne we had while touring the region. But one can't reliably find those in Ohio.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.