Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Champagne - Questions/Suggestions/Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2004, 12:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, FB Plat
Originally Posted by gutt22
Krug also produces a Clos du Mesnil. Salon is blanc de blancs -- the only grapes grown in Clos du Mesnil, I believe, are Chardonnay. So both the Krug Clos du Mesnil and the Salon are blanc de blancs.
Yes, that's right, Clos du Mesnil is from the village of Le Mesnil-sur-Oger which plants 100% chardonnay grapes. Same for Deutz, which I agree with you makes a very nice blanc de blancs.

If someone knew how to navigate U.S. Customs, I'd be happy to explore sending over a case.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Additional Question

A friend of mine is really into wine. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on what to get. It's his birthday and my wife and I want to get him something good.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by francophile
I thought that VC's flagship product was La Grande Dame.

Anyway, I am novice Champagne/sparkling wine drinker. I am very pleased with Moët et Chandon White Star.

Hands down, my vote!
Old Nov 23, 2004, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone tasted, Cullen 2001 Diana Madeline Cabernet/Merlot? According to the International Wine Cellar Rating on wine.com, it got a 96 rating.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
You can get the Yellow Widow for $30 or so and you get what you pay for. However the Grande Dame cannot be easily beat by any marque.

However I too will often go for Billecart Salmon. But am I the only one who likes pink Champagne? The Billecart Salmon Rose is absolutely superb. You usually have to pay a little more for pink with the good brands, but it is worth it.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 4:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

in case you don't want to spend $200, there's this brand that starts with an "M" that i see on occasion at trader joe's that i'm really fond of (better than cliquot, moet, piper, etc). it's around $25 and you'll know it when you see it because it usually comes adorned with a promotional cardboard neck tie, advertising its 93 point rating.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 7:25 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
in case you don't want to spend $200, there's this brand that starts with an "M" that i see on occasion at trader joe's that i'm really fond of (better than cliquot, moet, piper, etc). it's around $25 and you'll know it when you see it because it usually comes adorned with a promotional cardboard neck tie, advertising its 93 point rating.
Montaudon, perhaps? That is a good one. A bit fuller. Quite tasty.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 7:25 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
However I too will often go for Billecart Salmon. But am I the only one who likes pink Champagne? The Billecart Salmon Rose is absolutely superb. You usually have to pay a little more for pink with the good brands, but it is worth it.
I absolutely agree! It's hard to beat rose any day, and Billecart Salmon is about the best I've had.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gutt22
Montaudon, perhaps? That is a good one. A bit fuller. Quite tasty.
yeah, that's the one. i'm with you on the roses, btw.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by First_Class_Flyer
A friend of mine is really into wine. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on what to get. It's his birthday and my wife and I want to get him something good.

If you are close to either bertelli or the wine library(both in NJ), go in and ask them what the deal of a lifetime is. Both have fine collection of properly aged wines, and can give good advice.

Also how much are we thinking about spending and what does he like? For my birthday, you can send me a paul hobbs or a merry edwards single vineyard pinot noir.

Last edited by slawecki; Nov 24, 2004 at 2:23 pm
Old Nov 24, 2004, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by First_Class_Flyer
I'm having some trouble finding some good champagne for Christmas and New Years. Does anyone have an idea? I should say that price is not a problem, $20 or $200, it's fine.

You want a wine, or you want a label? For a label, all those mentioned above are great.

You want a wine, search for the imports by Terry Thiese. His wife is from the region. Most of the above mentioned names grow a very small percentage of their grapes. TT imports from the growers that are used, and the wines are terrific, but the names unknown, as they are not owned by Louie Vutton, and advertised in all the slicky magazines.

Last edited by slawecki; Nov 24, 2004 at 2:25 pm
Old Nov 28, 2004, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by luxury
Bollinger NV is under-rated IMHO; I also like Champagne Deutz.....
Bolliner RD [http://www.bbr.com/US/db/product/40012B?ID=null]. You will not be disappointed.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Originally Posted by QuietLion
The first thing you have to consider is whether you like your bubbly sweet or dry. The two main classifications are Extra Dry, which is sweet, and Brut, which is dry. I know, it's funny.

I like my champers dry. My favorite mainstream brand is Taittinger. I think Dom Perignon is overpriced. Cristal is too floral for my taste; I prefer the nuttiness of Taittinger. Veuve Cliquot is also yummy.

QL
And then there's Natural, which is drier than Brut. That's what I prefer, but it's too dry for many people.

I have a couple bottles of Dom P in the closet for special occasions, but give me my daily Korbel!
Old Dec 18, 2004, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

I have decided to go with a rose so I picked up a few bottles of Moet and Chandon brut imperial rose. I also got a few more bottles of your suggestions. Thanks again.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:10 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
My family and I will be toasting the start of 2005 with a bottle of 1996 Bollinger Grande Annee -- I am looking forward to this one. This is a New Year's Eve tradition at our home; in previous years we've had Dom Perignon Rose, Krug, Cristal, and Veuve Cliquot Grande Dame. The Bollinger RD was a tad beyond my budget for this year after buying some D'Yquem earlier in the year in Paris!!

Happy Holidays to all!! May you all enjoy your bubbly!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.