FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Consolidated "Air Fryer - Experiences, Questions, Recipes" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1277979-consolidated-air-fryer-experiences-questions-recipes-thread.html)

uk1 Nov 9, 2011 1:57 am

Consolidated "Air Fryer - Experiences, Questions, Recipes" thread

I've been using a Philips Air Fryer for two weeks now ... only doing simple stuff ie chips and roast potatos etc! Stunned and delighted with the results. So now I'm now going to actually read the instructions and play more.

Anyone else have one?

Any ideas and experience on cooking meats etc?

Steph3n Nov 9, 2011 10:04 am

I saw a gas station/deli/quick stop place that was a small home owned joint, that had a big banner saying no oil fried foods, all air fried. They were making fresh cut potato, handmade corn dogs, and a fried chicken basket all in an air fryer.

I didn't watch long enough to see as I was in a rush, but I was curious.

uk1 Nov 9, 2011 10:14 am

Thanks. Has to have some oil otherwise it would be horrid. A half tablespoon of oil produces french fries.

emma69 Nov 9, 2011 10:50 am

I was interested when they first launched, but the $300 price tag put me off - I don't eat friend foods often enough for it to be worth it, plus it is yet another item that needs counter space, which is limited in my kitchen. Glad you are enjoying it tho.

Steph3n Nov 9, 2011 10:52 am

Originally Posted by uk1 (Post 17419712)
Thanks. Has to have some oil otherwise it would be horrid. A half tablespoon of oil produces french fries.

yes, I read that technicality in looking it up :D

maybe they used Olean (more aptly called 'Ohnoes!', or 'OhiGoes!')

uk1 Nov 9, 2011 11:17 am

But it takes the top space that the fryer (full of oil) use to take!

emma69 Nov 9, 2011 11:36 am

Originally Posted by uk1 (Post 17420149)
But it takes the top space that the fryer (full of oil) use to take!

I've never had a fryer before!

uk1 Nov 9, 2011 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by emma69 (Post 17420291)
I've never had a fryer before!

Don't start me off!

I went through a period of obsessing about making real fish and chips at home. Culminated in a professional twin fryer because you need to cook the fish at the same time as the chips ...... years spent trying to get a perfect batter. All behind me now! Obsesion over.

But the air fryer IS wonderful at potato and my wife is convinced that it is saving us calories and lowering the wheight ... my suspician is that it will be a bit like a rfice cooker ie an essential one trick appliance.

emma69 Nov 9, 2011 8:27 pm

Lol! Never had an obsession about fish and chips but then again, in one management job I inadvertently became Harry Ramsden qualified!!

I occasionally want a fryer to make some random things - samosas (oven just doesn't do it for me) and, don't laugh, scotch eggs (mainly for Canadians who have never had one!)

Try a scotch egg in the air fryer and let me know if it works!

uk1 Nov 26, 2011 6:22 am

Emma - never did get round to a scotch egg but have pretty much given it the works - and I now have a second unit in the kitchen as it's a really useful tool that the manufacturers clearly do not understand.

I've used it for so many things from simply warming croissants (they produce a crisp outside just like the ones we have in Paris) to crispy Peking Duck 9 with CRISPY skin!), Char Siu Pork, spicy chilli chicken wings, ribs, spring rolls ..... I could go on.

Basically anyone who has used a true professional kitchen convection ie NOT fan oven but a powerful forced air oven will love these. I've just made some crisps (chips in American) .... and it is really great for anything that needs fierce forced high heat.

Steph3n Nov 26, 2011 6:42 am

CharBroil has a MUCH larger version of this that is made for cooking turkey, it is propane powered, and it comes in at $99 at Big Lots and some places online (plus propane if you need), it can do up to 16 lb turkey, but also chicken, roast, and many other things.

If the small one doesn't cut it for you, may want to check it out!

CharBroil no oil turkey fryer.

emma69 Nov 28, 2011 11:02 am

Originally Posted by uk1 (Post 17517137)
Emma - never did get round to a scotch egg but have pretty much given it the works - and I now have a second unit in the kitchen as it's a really useful tool that the manufacturers clearly do not understand.

I've used it for so many things from simply warming croissants (they produce a crisp outside just like the ones we have in Paris) to crispy Peking Duck 9 with CRISPY skin!), Char Siu Pork, spicy chilli chicken wings, ribs, spring rolls ..... I could go on.

Basically anyone who has used a true professional kitchen convection ie NOT fan oven but a powerful forced air oven will love these. I've just made some crisps (chips in American) .... and it is really great for anything that needs fierce forced high heat.

Ohhh, I actually do rather like restaurant convection ovens! Hmmm, going on my santa claus list (along with a kitchen extension for more work surfaces!)

tentseller Nov 28, 2011 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by emma69 (Post 17527326)
Ohhh, I actually do rather like restaurant convection ovens! Hmmm, going on my santa claus list (along with a kitchen extension for more work surfaces!)

Be careful what you wish for, I needed a $5000 electrical upgrade to feed my kitchen toy obsession now that I do not have a restaurant kitchen to "play" in.

RCyyz Nov 28, 2011 1:58 pm

I don't seem to be able to find any of these wonderful devices on this side of the pond. :(

Ancien Maestro Nov 28, 2011 7:51 pm

Does the George Forman contraption count?..

I find the grease a chore to clean after..