Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why are chain restaurants so popular in the US?

Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum

Compared to other places in the world I have visited I'm always amazed at how popular chain restaurants are in the US. Generally I find chain food pretty mediocre at the best of times. I'm talking about for proper sit down meals not fast food, which I think the US does very well! Places like Olive Garden, TGI's, Ruby Tuesday, Outback Steakhouse, have they just managed to squeeze out most of the competition in the low to mid price range?
Old Oct 7, 2009, 4:51 am

Programs: LH SEN
I think that, besides the "familiarity" factor, there is also the power of Advertising/Marketing. Chains use mass media advertising, so people just know those brands, what kind of food they serve, and a lot of times how much it'll cost.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Didar56
I know that both McDonald's and Starbucks have research that showed them that one thing people really value is having the confidence that they will receive the same consistent taste, portion, service, etc....a consistent and familiar experience....whenever they visit an outlet of the chain, anywhere they go.

So perhaps that applies at the "proper sit-down meal" type of places as well. I do also think that the majority of people are really not very adventurous when it comes to eating and trying new things...and again, going to the same familiar place over and over again satisfies that approach to dining.

I also think that you find that the places in the U.S. with a more diverse ethnic population mix tend to be at least somewhat less "chain-centric", such as the East and West coast, than perhaps other areas of the country.

I know that in my own city of San Francisco, there is actually a quite forceful movement to RESTRICT chain restaurants (and chain retail stores as well) from coming into the market and perhaps forcing out smaller, locally owned establishments. There is quite a bit of controversy regarding this, with some believing it is contrary to free enterprise, while others feel it helps protects small business and the individual nature of each neighborhood within the city.
Some good points. Do you think a factor is that American cities are so pedestrian unfriendly that for many restaurants trying to get adequate foot traffic means that they lose out? That would explain why in places like NYC, SFO and other large walkable cities, local independants are able to get more of a foothold.

Originally Posted by MariaSF
I think that, besides the "familiarity" factor, there is also the power of Advertising/Marketing. Chains use mass media advertising, so people just know those brands, what kind of food they serve, and a lot of times how much it'll cost.
That's true, but still they had to get that scale before they could start mass media advertising, so somewhere along the line something happened.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 6:06 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I am always stunned that places like the Olive Garden and Outback opened and are doing well in Manhattan and other huge cities. It's not just the tourists either (though of course a good part of it is).

I am with you, I don't understand the popularity of them, but do know for example in many areas, people are just comfortable pulling into a place they know. They also know the food will be just so so and the prices not the best, but they know what will be on the menu, and they know what to expect. The local place across the street may be ten times better and half the price, but it's not a risk people are willing to take.

Look at a place like Applebees. They have done tie ins with Tyler Florence for his "brick pressed chicken" or whatever it was called, which was a roasted chicken. People ordered it thinking Tyler was in the kitchen cooking it. They have done tie ins with Weight Watchers listing points values on the menu for a few "special items" which were just regular menu items with a salad instead of fries for example. People flocked for the stuff. Does anybody think Italians eat the stuff Olive Garden serves for Sunday dinner? Apparently so.

That, and to a large amount of people, some of those chains are fancy places that don't cost them a weeks savings.

I don't remember the last time we made a choice and stopped in any of the sit down chains, I'm sure it's been years.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cordelli
I am always stunned that places like the Olive Garden and Outback opened and are doing well in Manhattan and other huge cities. It's not just the tourists either (though of course a good part of it is).
Add to this list Pizza Hut in Chicago. I utterly fail to understand how they survive in this market.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I believe it's the familiarity and consistency factor. Some people tend to stick with what they know and are afraid to experiment. And prob lots of people still think Olive Garden is such a FINE DINING experience...
Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by cordelli
That, and to a large amount of people, some of those chains are fancy places that don't cost them a weeks savings.
Portion size is part of the equation as well. Even if the food is mediocre at best, being served large quantities of it (often enough to generate a "doggie bag" for an additional meal the next day) introduced a perception of value ("getting ones money's worth").
Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by exc3ll
I believe it's the familiarity and consistency factor. Some people tend to stick with what they know and are afraid to experiment. And prob lots of people still think Olive Garden is such a FINE DINING experience...
Very true. I was stuck on a project for quite some time in a city in central California, which may have well been in the boonies. Their main street was chain restaurant heaven - every single chain restaurant (Chili's, BJ's, Applebees, Elephant Bar, etc) was always packed on Thursday evenings. I am almost positive, that these restaurants were the local 'fine dining' locations because there simply was nothing else.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by stupenal
Very true. I was stuck on a project for quite some time in a city in central California, which may have well been in the boonies.
Fresno's Blackstone Avenue, by any chance?
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
I think the chains do a very good job of serving middle-of -the -road, bland food. Their food may not be high quality, but in another sense, because it is tasteless, it doesn't really offend anyone: it appeals to the masses.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by u2fan
I think the chains do a very good job of serving middle-of -the -road, bland food. Their food may not be high quality, but in another sense, because it is tasteless, it doesn't really offend anyone: it appeals to the masses.
a.k.a. lowest common denominator. I've always wondered if the melting pot culture of the U.S. has produced this. Certainly the cuisines of the various ethnicities of U.S. people should make for tasty food. Otherwise perhaps one of the largest cultural and ethnic components is German which isn't renown for exciting tasty food.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Fresno's Blackstone Avenue, by any chance?
Close! I was thinking more along the lines of Stockton's March Lane. Plus Pacific Ave.

Just to rattle off a couple more....Black Angus, El Torito, Old Spaghetti Factory, Marie Callendars, Outback Steakhouse...

It's scary to think that these chains do so well...
Old Oct 7, 2009, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

generally low standards, which is a reinforcing cycle

marketing > reality
Old Oct 7, 2009, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA LTP; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
Add to this list Pizza Hut in Chicago. I utterly fail to understand how they survive in this market.
I am as equally amazed but have found that they can compete on price. I know friends that will order from Pizza Hut or Dominos when their kids are having a bunch of friends over. The chains always seem to have deals when ordering multiple pizzas that a good quality local place can't compete with. I also know a lot of people who really want bland, whether it's pizza, Mexican or Chinese, and these places can deliver that.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I don't eat at many chains, but do enjoy Olive Garden on occasion. Perhaps my palate isn't refined enough, but when I've eaten at more expensive Italian places, I just don't see that much value for the money.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.