Reload this Page >

Vegetarian options at top restaurants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vegetarian options at top restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:00 pm

That is what I expected this thread to be about - not veggie lasagne or veggie burgers.

Thank you - I've added it to my list.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by crimson12
The blog's first perfect, five-star review: Eleven Madison Park!
http://withoutbacon.wordpress.com/20...-park-5-stars/
Nice review, and the food looks and sounds great.....
but I cannot fathom a 3 hour meal - any time of day. Actually I can. Had many in Korea, and a couple elsewhere. Absolute torture no matter how good the food may have been. 1 hour max, then to the bar for further conversing.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 10:59 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Green Zebra in Chicago

Here is the recent week's special:

Green Zebra Fall Menu

$38.00 per person

Tuesday, November 8th

This Week - PEARS

Join us Tuesday, November 8th as Chef de Cuisine Jon DuBois crafts a menu featuring pears.

Spiced Asian Pear Salad
shaved hearts of palm, Thai basil, crispy tofu, yuzu-pear dressing

Warm Bartlett Pear and Camembert Soup
smoked walnuts, cranberry, wheat berries

Salt-Roasted Bosc Pear
celery root-pear-white truffle risotto, grilled castle franco

Roasted D'Anjou Pear Tarte Tatin
butterscotch ice cream, quince-raisin jam, blue cheese

There have been a number of these $38 menus featuring various fruits/vegetables, I've just never been able to make it yet

Green Zebra in Chicago: www.greenzebrachicago.com
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA PM
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Suggestions?
I would like to add one more vote for Kajitsu. Expensive but exceptional - even for an inveterate meat-eater - though admittedly I love pretty much all Japanese food.
Also, in terms of high end, I've heard Per Se has a fantastic vegetarian menu.
And if you expand your horizons to include Paris, what they do with vegetables at L'Arpčge is amazing.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Had Vegetarian curry on Basmati rice for lunch today.. Accompanied by a side salad..

Feels good to the body, with the absence of meat.. and quite satisfying.. mmm..

Question.. Do vegetarians consider rice an acceptable staple to accompany vegetarian dishes?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by snaporaz
I have fond memories of both Per Se and the French Laundry. I like high end restaurants (since this is what this thread is intended to be about) which don't make one feel that one is someone odd for eating vegetarian, or offer one item marked as 'vegetarian'. Per Se offers two tasting menus daily, one of which is veg.

The various Käfer entities also offer a selection of items which happen not to include meat, not necessarily segregating the veg item on the menu.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by snaporaz
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Suggestions?
I would like to add one more vote for Kajitsu. Expensive but exceptional - even for an inveterate meat-eater - though admittedly I love pretty much all Japanese food.
And if you expand your horizons to include Paris, what they do with vegetables at L'Arpčge is amazing.
Thanks I will have to try Kajitsu. As noted way upthread, I agree about L' Arpege. Stunning food and a real focus on veggies. And fruit. I recall having a poached pear with 150 year old balsamic vinegar for desert there.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Had Vegetarian curry on Basmati rice for lunch today.. Accompanied by a side salad..

Feels good to the body, with the absence of meat.. and quite satisfying.. mmm..

Question.. Do vegetarians consider rice an acceptable staple to accompany vegetarian dishes?
Rice is fine, depending on what the dish is - with curry, I would expect rice to be honest.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by emma69
Rice is fine, depending on what the dish is - with curry, I would expect rice to be honest.
I've heard that bleached white rice isn't the healthiest.. The choice with the dish is either the basmati rice which looks white, or egg shanghai type noodles, which I think has an yolk base to it..

Which would you choose to accompany your vegetarian curry
Old Nov 7, 2011, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I've heard that bleached white rice isn't the healthiest.. The choice with the dish is either the basmati rice which looks white, or egg shanghai type noodles, which I think has an yolk base to it..

Which would you choose to accompany your vegetarian curry
If it is an Indian style curry, noddles just don't work for me I am afraid, it would be rice (ideally, it would actually be rice and naan bread, but those are my piggy tendencies!)

In terms of which rice, I like white basmati rice (I don't care for the brown basmati rice), but I am also fine with regular white rice - no it is probably not as nutritionally as good for me as brown or wild rice, but I am not a fan of either. I do quite like the additional flavours of a pilaf, which I've had made with basmati and other long grain white rice.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by emma69
If it is an Indian style curry, noddles just don't work for me I am afraid, it would be rice (ideally, it would actually be rice and naan bread, but those are my piggy tendencies!)

In terms of which rice, I like white basmati rice (I don't care for the brown basmati rice), but I am also fine with regular white rice - no it is probably not as nutritionally as good for me as brown or wild rice, but I am not a fan of either. I do quite like the additional flavours of a pilaf, which I've had made with basmati and other long grain white rice.
I love wild rice, but that wouldn't make it authentically East Indian.. the Basmati rice is almost like white rice..

Is the Basmati rice have any more nutrients than the regular white rice?..

I love short grain white rice.. has a nice taste to it.. ya know, the stuff from Edo..

Nothing wrong with pilaf, brown or wild rice.. I'm so used to eating Brown bread, that I find it to be a treat to have these types of rices..
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I hear per se has a fantastic vegetarian menu. I just don't think I'm ready to drop $300 (let's be honest, I'd have to take my wife, so $600 (but let's really be honest, we'll want wine pairings, so $900)) on dinner in the near future...

I was surprised at how long EMP took for lunch. Our reservation was at 12:30 and I had actually told them that I needed to be out of there by 2:30. It still took about three hours. I guess the tour of the kitchen, etc., were unnecessary, but a nice touch. I only told them at the time of the reservation that I was in a bit of a hurry; I suspect that if I had reminded them at the restaurant, they would have picked up the pace a bit.

That was actually a great day; I was in a hurry to leave EMP because I was going from there to Blue Hill at Stone Barns
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:55 pm

I was going to suggest the French Laundry in place of Per Se at $270.

Sample daily menu here http://www.tkrg.org/upload/fl_menu.pdf

Of course, Bouchon Bakery (in both Yountville and Manhattan now) offer a tiny sweet taste for a fraction of the price, but sadly I rarely find veg sandwiches there. The sweets do make up for it though!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 1:53 pm

I can't 100% vouch for vegetarian since I don't know how the dishes are prepared, but Craft has some of the best vegetable dishes I have ever had. I've been several times both in LA and NY.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Interestingly, right after I posted about Eleven Madison Park, the Times did a piece with some vegetarian recipes from EMP. http://withoutbacon.wordpress.com/20...-madison-park/ I can take credit for this, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.