Wiki Posts
Search

Best Deep Dish Pizza, outside of Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:36 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pkbroch
The best deep dish pizza in Detroit is Buddy's since 1946. Deep dish Chicago style is a little thicker than most deep dish I have had around the country.

http://www.buddyspizza.com/
Buddy's is not deep dish it is Sicilian style which is VERY different than a good Chicago deep dish pizza.

I'm not saying Buddys is bad pizza, it is quite good I've been a number of times, but it isn't Chicago deep dish.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Being Italian and living in NY I'm always amazed by the different kind of pizza in the US...

As you probably know in Sicily it doesn't exist a "sicilian" style pizza.. And I've never understood what's the NY pizza..

When I think about pizza I can usually recognize three different kind: bad pizza, real pizza, and deep-dish pizza (which doesn't exist in Italy, that's why I call it "american" pizza..) ;-)

So, any suggestion for a real deep-dish pizza in NY?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I don't believe you can tell good pizza by "seeing it," but since you're from NY, you probably can.
Heh, "try it"? Although I did say "good NY pizza" -- I've tried a lot of pizza that called itself "NY style" which was perfectly good pizza, but you can tell just by looking at it that the only thing "NY style" about it was the name -- or as one of the better California woodfired style chains out here calls it "east coast"... ummm, no. Good for what it is, but the only way you'd sell it in NY would be to call it "California" or "gourmet."
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Another Detroit option

http://pizzapapalis.com/Locations.aspx There are various locations around Detroit, but I have only tried the one downtown (Greektown).
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:16 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joejones
It is by no means world-class, but there is a new American-operated brew pub in Tokyo which has the only passable deep-dish that I have encountered anywhere in Asia. Several local friends of mine became completely addicted to it around the same time...

http://en.devilcraft.jp/
OK, gotta remember to try this on my next trip. I'll compare it to Pizza Chicago, our local Chicago-style place, not to the real Chicago competition.

BTW, I happen to like Connie's in Chicago over -- dare I say it? -- Lou Malnatti's.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
OK, gotta remember to try this on my next trip. I'll compare it to Pizza Chicago, our local Chicago-style place, not to the real Chicago competition.

BTW, I happen to like Connie's in Chicago over -- dare I say it? -- Lou Malnatti's.
You can say it, I wouldn't. Honestly, Connie's isn't bad. Connie's is a distant fourth (and last) on my list of places where I'll eat deep dish (Malnati's, Gino's East and Pizzeria Uno/Due). No one else measures up. (And again, for those who like Giordano's, it's OK, but it's not traditional deep dish pizza. It's stuffed pizza.)
Old Sep 24, 2011, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Little Star Pizza - 3 SF Bay Area locations. It is deep dish, not stuffed. Yum.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 3:26 pm
Suspended

I would vote for Carmen's in Evanston - and Evanston is certainly outside of Chicago.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nkedel
I'll believe that you can get good NY pizza in Chicago when I see it. You certainly can't out here, although that's as an expat New Yorker; I'd imagine a Chicago local might say the same about what passes for good Chicago pizza here in the Bay Area.

So... any recommendations for NY pizza in Chicago?
Try Vito's in Sunnyvale. Vito and his sons are from Brooklyn, and their product is very much identifiable as the genuine article.

In Chicago, Ranalli's is not really New York style, but it is sort of a hybrid of New York and Chicago style, and quite good in it's own right.

BTW, as a New Yorker who went to Grad School in Chicago, and then went to Silicon Valley for professional endeavors, I consider myself highly qualified to speak on this issue.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by DJGMaster1
Try Vito's in Sunnyvale. Vito and his sons are from Brooklyn, and their product is very much identifiable as the genuine article.
I'll have to try it next time I'm in that end of the bay. Funny thing is someone else mentioned that to me recently, but was off on the locaion and I assumed that was a name change of the rather "meh" Giovanni's over by Fry's.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 7:06 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
You can say it, I wouldn't. Honestly, Connie's isn't bad. Connie's is a distant fourth (and last) on my list of places where I'll eat deep dish (Malnati's, Gino's East and Pizzeria Uno/Due). No one else measures up. (And again, for those who like Giordano's, it's OK, but it's not traditional deep dish pizza. It's stuffed pizza.)
Oh, I screwed up, my rating of Connie's was for stuffed pizza, not deep dish! I stand corrected (if I am standing at all).
Old Sep 24, 2011, 9:21 pm

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
I would vote for Carmen's in Evanston - and Evanston is certainly outside of Chicago.
Yes!!! When I lived there in the late 1980's - early 90's, I would exist on their pepperoni or spinach pies. It is still my favorite Chicago area deep dish place.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:23 pm

For those that care (like I do when discussing food), Carmens is stuffed pizza, not deep dish.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:07 am

For something different in Chicago try Piece on North Ave in Bucktown. It's New Haven style pizza and is quite tasty!

http://www.piecechicago.com/
Old Sep 27, 2011, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by lpatron
For something different in Chicago try Piece on North Ave in Bucktown. It's New Haven style pizza and is quite tasty!
Piece has been mentioned more than a few times in the Chicago Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chicago-511/ and just for those who might be wondering, Piece is not deep dish.

There have also been a couple Do’s at Piece, I think this was the last one: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...ay-8-16-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.