Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Fellow foodies -- is a Jamon Iberico worth splurging on for a friend's wedding gift?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fellow foodies -- is a Jamon Iberico worth splurging on for a friend's wedding gift?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:58 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

Hi friends --

I'm thinking of getting a gift for a friend's wedding, and my idea is to buy a leg of Jamon Iberico. The running theme that this fits into is that he's a lifelong foodie, but bacon lover (cartoons, t-shirts, makes great food with it), and this would be like graduating to the top level of ham product. (I'll also get the couple a more traditional wedding gift).

My question -- do you think the stuff from a place like Latienda.com is worth the money? I personally haven't tasted Jamon Iberico or Bellota, so all I have is other people's rave reviews of it. But at >$700 for a whole leg, it's a steep investment to make without knowing.

Aside from going to Spain, sampling, and trying to smuggle one back, all I've got is your advice. Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 7:29 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
This thread discusses purchasing Jamon's of different types

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dinin...ata-negra.html

Worth it is a totally subjective thing, and it's a huge jump from bacon to Jamon. They may love it and savor it, or they may just slice it up and eat it all in a week making ham sandwiches. I think it's a huge risk unless you know they love things like that, though it's certainly to be unique.

Personally, I would love one.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 7:45 am
uk1
Suspended

Not what you want to hear but ...........

Buying this for someone who hasn't expressed a passion for it seems risky. There's no link at all between bacon and Jamon Iberico - other than pork - and there'd be a storage challenge to boot.

I'd think of something else.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: UA
Yeah I wouldn't put it even near the category of "bacon." Plus, if you're going to have an experience with the ibérico, it should happen with all the cutting/stand supplies just for tradition. If your friends already were connoisseurs, that would be another thing.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Suggest you buy them some of the basic Jamon and let them play with that. Just because they are huge bacon lovers does not justify a leg of Iberico de Bellota. Bacon is cooked before eaten -- Iberico de Bellota is just sliced paper thin and left to melt in your mouth.

Huge difference between the two.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:07 am
uk1
Suspended

This is an entirely inappropriate suggestion ...... but if they like ham and bacon etc and are foodies - and assuming they live in a house ..... have you considered buying them a smoker with some starting supplies? Perhaps some books on curing, brining and smoking to go with it?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:59 am
TA
Original Poster

Thanks all, for the good ideas.

I agree it is a little risky, just because it's such a premium product + price,
even though I know they are aware of Iberico, the reputation, and would probably love it.

Maybe I'll test with a smaller investment of Jamon Serrano and see how it goes! Also, the smoker idea is great.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:38 am
uk1
Suspended

Home smoking won't only give them the potential for bacon and hams - but also fish, cheese, meats etc etc. It can be quite a consuming thing ... playing with different types of wood and material ..... and is also something that's more permanent as a wedding gift than just a shelf life thing.

Good luck.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:41 am
TA
Original Poster

Sounds like you've had some experience with this kind of equipment -- any suggestions? Thanks!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:38 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by TA
Sounds like you've had some experience with this kind of equipment -- any suggestions? Thanks!
Well some suggestions.

I have a smoker but it's a permanent brick built smoker that's basically using the plinth that supports and is under a mediteranean beehive oven. That might even be another suggestion. But if you google bradley ovens these ovens are fairly self-managed and I think would make a great wedding gift for a foodie.

eg

I guess another suggestion would be the beehive oven. My one looks like this but is the larger model. It's mounted on a brick plinth and is great for pizza and all sorts of other med style dishes. It has a wooden door over the front and reach very high temperatures. It's wedding gift they'd really love and use a lifetime I guess:

......... with door

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.