Wiki Posts
Search

Slow Cooker/ Crock Pot

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Slow Cooker/ Crock Pot

Who has a Crock-pot? What brand/model do you recommend? What features are important to you?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:12 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
What are you going to do with it?

It looks like Crock Pot has branched off into its own brand... it used to be Rival. I've always stuck with that brand and been happy.

I *use* my Crock Pot all the time, but rarely actually cook in it. It's main purpose for me is a glorified chafing dish. When I make food for office potlucks and things need to stay warm or simmer until lunch time...it's awesome.

If I were to ever buy another one, a lockdown lid... like this one would be high on my list of requirements.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missydarlin
What are you going to do with it?
At this point, my idea is pretty much along the lines of "put stuff in it before I leave in the morning, and come home to tasty dinner".

I guess I'm curious what features are there and what features are worth it.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
You might want to pick up a cookbook or two and get some ideas. One of my favorites is "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook." Another good one is "Slow Cooker Revolution" from America's Test Kitchen. The first chapter in this one has tips on selecting a slow cooker.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 9:28 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Size matters. You want one to be the right size, if you are usually cooking for one or two, you won't want a huge one, and if you are usually making vats of food, a small one would be useless.

My dream crockpot, which I don't believe exhists (but I will say I have not checked for a while)
  • removable cooking vessel, and all removable parts dish washer safe
  • Timer to shut it off (going to warm when it's done)
  • Timer to turn it on
  • Auto shift, where it cooks on high for an hour and a half to heat it up fast and shifts to low on it's own
  • see through cover
  • Liner can go from the fridge to the cooker, so you can set it up the night before and it won't crack when it's heated

One thing I highly recommend is crock pot liners, you can get them in the grocery store for just under $6 for a pack of four, or you can order online in bulk and get a box of 240 for $39, and everything in between. Makes cleaning up so much easier.

We have a couple, no brand affinity just what was on sale at the time. Our large one is a Crock Pot brand oval with an electronic timer (if you are prone to power outages don't get an electronic timer, it will shut off and not come back on, even if the outage is just a few seconds).

We have a smaller Proctor Silex that has a knob that says off, high, and low, no timer, no electronics, etc.

Think about what you will be cooking, if it's mainly sauce, chili, stews, round is fine, if it's things like whole cuts of meat, chickens, turkey breast, etc you may want an oval one, the larger cuts fit better in the oval one.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 9:46 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
This is the one I have.

Perfect size for 1 or 2. But I'd love to have a 6 quart one for when I cook for the office.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:12 pm

An answer to your question it comes down to preference. Reason being you have 2 types, programmable & manual. I personally like manual, it's something less I have to think about in the sense if the digital breaks. Go to crockpotking.com, it has a great video, on helping you to make your decision, the page is called Best Crock Pots. Also the bottom, of the home page, has great books to get you started, what the best thing about the site it shows you how to make time for yourself, with this kind of cooking. Also there's temperature page, on what setting to use when cooking. Start off with a Rival their good, and I've had mine for years. And see if it's something your going to like, but if you want to create more time for yourself that's the way to Go.

Good luck!!!
Ben the Crock Pot king
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:15 pm

Wink ignorance can be bliss

When I wanted a CrockPot, I just went to Target and bought the one on sale, which turned out to be this one - chosed because it was large and on sale.

I am quite satified with its large because when I cook, I cook dinner for two + two more dinners into the freezer, making my time really count.

The only thing this one doesn't do well is split pea soup. Don't know why, but it always scorches.

My favorite slow cookery cookbook is Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: The Big Book of Everyday Slow Cooking by Stephanie O'Dea.

Oh, the worst feature of it is cr@ppy plastic loop on the lid. It broke about 6 months after I bought the thing, and the company wanted $19 for a new lid (all I wanted was a new loop) for a device that cost me $30 total, so we went to the hardware store and bought a small wooden knob for about $1 and it makes a fine handle.

Last edited by CDTraveler; Aug 1, 2011 at 10:16 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:18 pm
uk1
Suspended

We have one of these electronic Cuisinart slow cookers.

It's pluses are that it's programmable so that it can get your meal cooked and then hold it and unlike many other models the croc rather than be low and wide is tall and narrow which means it's great for small quantities as well as large. With the low and wide types you have to add too much liquid to cover any proteins and veg whereas with this shape you just have the liquid you need. Three heat settings - high, low and simmer. It's used very regularly.

Costs more but worth every penny.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I have one similar to this one.

I love it, because I can toss everything in before going to work, and when I get home, dinner is ready. The crock portion is removable and easy to wash.

Although, when it is time for a new one, I have to admit that the one uk1 posted looks interesting.

As far as cooking in it, you can cook just about anything using a crock pot.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1
We have one of these electronic Cuisinart slow cookers.

It's pluses are that it's programmable so that it can get your meal cooked and then hold it and unlike many other models the croc rather than be low and wide is tall and narrow which means it's great for small quantities as well as large. With the low and wide types you have to add too much liquid to cover any proteins and veg whereas with this shape you just have the liquid you need. Three heat settings - high, low and simmer. It's used very regularly.

Costs more but worth every penny.
Um... compared to the old-fashioned Crock Pot, that Cuisinart, is, well, lower, and wider (not tall and narrow).

Am I missing something here?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by nerd
Um... compared to the old-fashioned Crock Pot, that Cuisinart, is, well, lower, and wider (not tall and narrow).

Most of the newer crock pots are fairly low and wide.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:15 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by nerd

These compared with cusinart croc and the trivet is a free accessory in case you want to "roast".

Last edited by uk1; Aug 2, 2011 at 11:25 am
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:10 pm

There is a crock pot at every garage sale in Reston VA. Buy several for a couple of bucks each and see which you like best.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
At this point, my idea is pretty much along the lines of "put stuff in it before I leave in the morning, and come home to tasty dinner".
Sadly, it doesn't really work this way. Almost every recipe I'd want to eat involves just as much chopping, browning, sauteing etc., as does a standard receipe. THEN you throw it all in the pot.

I made a delicious Chicken Cacciatore on Sunday, but it took an hour worth of prep, and I suspect it would have been just as good if I'd then turned the same pan down to simmer and let it go for an hour on the top of the stove.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.