Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slow Cooker/ Crock Pot

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:40 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It depends on what you are cooking. If it's a roast or chicken and potatoes, you can put a few potatoes in, put the roast or chicken on top, sprinkle some seasoning, turn it on and leave.

If it's a stew or something like that, of course there is going to be some prep work, but you can do that the night before. I do all the chopping and the rest the night before, put it in the fridge overnight, and in the morning on the way out the door put the liner in the crockpot, set the timer and it's done when I get home.

There is little advantage to using the slow cooker over a pot on low on the stove all day, or if your oven has it, the slow cooking function of your oven. Again it depends on what you are cooking, but people cooked stuff long and slow ages before a crockpot came around.

The real advantage is you don't need to be there or watching it, you can leave it on the counter all day, which most people would not feel comfortable doing with a pot on the stove.

Granted, there are people who don't like leaving a crock pot on when they are not home too, but for the most part, that's where it has the advantage.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:54 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by milepig
Sadly, it doesn't really work this way. Almost every recipe I'd want to eat involves just as much chopping, browning, sauteing etc., as does a standard receipe. THEN you throw it all in the pot.

I made a delicious Chicken Cacciatore on Sunday, but it took an hour worth of prep, and I suspect it would have been just as good if I'd then turned the same pan down to simmer and let it go for an hour on the top of the stove.
I've found that as well. Unless you're doing the basic pot roast, pork roast, or chicken, its just as easy to finish it on the stove or in the oven while I'm watching a movie. Then reheat it for the next days dinner. Most stuff tastes better the second day anyway
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:59 pm
uk1
Suspended

My view is pretty much the same although I certainly feel that there is a definate place for a good slow cooker compared to stove top. The fact is that you have to have pretty good flame control to leave anything on a flame unstirred for say overnight. So there's no crust and stirring is just on a "whilst your passing" basis rather than needing to check.

We use the slow cooker around twice a week during the winter and once a week in summer. It's ideal mate is the Zoji rice cooker for long slow kormas and curries. Basically you can just put everything in but I fry the pastes and then warm everything before it goes into the crock. The fact that in a better slow cooker it's a gentle surrounding heat rather than a more intense base heat, makes all the difference in my view. To be completely frank it has made the use of my sous vide bath a lot less regular ...........
Old Oct 7, 2013, 12:19 pm

crock pot liners in bulk

You talk about being able to buy liners in boxes of 240 for $39, but you don't mention where. I am desperately trying to find these as our restaurant goes through so many in a week, that buying boxes of 4 is unacceptable. Please reply is you know where I can purchase these. Thanks.

Originally Posted by cordelli
Size matters. You want one to be the right size, if you are usually cooking for one or two, you won't want a huge one, and if you are usually making vats of food, a small one would be useless.

My dream crockpot, which I don't believe exhists (but I will say I have not checked for a while)
  • removable cooking vessel, and all removable parts dish washer safe
  • Timer to shut it off (going to warm when it's done)
  • Timer to turn it on
  • Auto shift, where it cooks on high for an hour and a half to heat it up fast and shifts to low on it's own
  • see through cover
  • Liner can go from the fridge to the cooker, so you can set it up the night before and it won't crack when it's heated

One thing I highly recommend is crock pot liners, you can get them in the grocery store for just under $6 for a pack of four, or you can order online in bulk and get a box of 240 for $39, and everything in between. Makes cleaning up so much easier.

We have a couple, no brand affinity just what was on sale at the time. Our large one is a Crock Pot brand oval with an electronic timer (if you are prone to power outages don't get an electronic timer, it will shut off and not come back on, even if the outage is just a few seconds).

We have a smaller Proctor Silex that has a knob that says off, high, and low, no timer, no electronics, etc.

Think about what you will be cooking, if it's mainly sauce, chili, stews, round is fine, if it's things like whole cuts of meat, chickens, turkey breast, etc you may want an oval one, the larger cuts fit better in the oval one.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:46 am

http://www.amazon.com/PanSaver-Clean.../dp/B000KERJ4Q - 50 count

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/pro...4-001b2166c2c0 also 50 count.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I bought a crock pot brand slow cooker and totally love it.

it has a ceramic cooking bowl that comes out of the heating bowl for easy cleaning..

I'm doing an 8 hr pulled pork at the moment. The smell is incredible!

did a chicken tortilla soup in it during the week. That took 6 hours so the keep wsrm function is a godsend.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:45 am
uk1
Suspended

I hope we get pictures of the pork at various stages ie from crock to gob.

Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1
I hope we get pictures of the pork at various stages ie from crock to gob.

If I can figure out how to upload photos I will do one of the finished article.

I am thinking about starting a food blog.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:40 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
If I can figure out how to upload photos I will do one of the finished article.

I am thinking about starting a food blog.
Do!

Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I've owned 4 in 40 years. Last year I gave up the 6 quart, gifted it to Miss BamaVol, who cooks for a larger crowd than I do regularly. I kept a 3 quart for 3 person Sunday meals. I feel like it's a little small for stews and chili and bought a 4 quart this spring. The smaller one is okay for meals with few ingredients, such as pot roast or barbequed ribs. I don't recall the manufacturer of some, but all of mine have been basic models. The smallest one does not have a warm setting which I miss. The Rival cookbook that came with the first has been very handy, giving me recipes that I have used and modified over the years, all of which became family favorites. My only complaint about any have been consistently ill-fitting covers.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:30 am

My only requirement was for a removable crock. It makes cleaning much easier.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
My current largest one has a removable crock and a sealable lid, which is great since my crock pot is frequently on the move to church and work. It may even be this one http://www.target.com/p/crock-pot-6-...FQsKaQodkCgAfQ
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wrp96
My current largest one has a removable crock and a sealable lid, which is great since my crock pot is frequently on the move to church and work. It may even be this one http://www.target.com/p/crock-pot-6-...FQsKaQodkCgAfQ
This is the one I bought;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crock-Pot-Sl...ords=crock+pot

Doing a slow cooked beef au jus for dinner tomorrow. Will cook and seal it tonight and toss it all in the Crock Pot tomorrow morning for a 8-10 hour cook. 4lb piece of beef brisket - it should be good!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
This is the one I bought;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crock-Pot-Sl...ords=crock+pot

Doing a slow cooked beef au jus for dinner tomorrow. Will cook and seal it tonight and toss it all in the Crock Pot tomorrow morning for a 8-10 hour cook. 4lb piece of beef brisket - it should be good!
What time do I need to be there for dinner?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:47 am
uk1
Suspended

Our Cuisinart has been dusted off and placed onto the counter in it's normal winter spot.

There's nothing nicer on a winters morning to get the curry slowly braising and the rice in the Zoji. It seems to taste better if you haven't just made it. Saturday is coq au vin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.