FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Just when you thought sparkling wine could get no worse (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1214891-just-when-you-thought-sparkling-wine-could-get-no-worse.html)

YVR Cockroach May 12, 2011 2:59 pm

Just when you thought sparkling wine could get no worse

The stuff you'll be served next might come from China, courtesy of Moet-Hennessy.

Seriously, I don't think it cane be much worse than some of the stuff (Chateau Ste. Michelle) that's served on some airlines. Drank some Chinese wines when KL had a promo a few years back and it was o.k., compared to cheap stuff from other parts of the world.

That said, I've never been impressed with Domaine Chandon stuff from California and Australia (Yarra Valley, Victoria). Haven't tried the Argentinean stuff and didn't even know they made the stuff in Brazil!

number_6 May 14, 2011 9:27 am

I confess to not having drunk Chandon in decades, but I recall it as being astonishingly good when it first came out (circa 1980 in California). St. Michelle is another cheap wine that I regard as being well made (good price/performer). Perhaps these are wines that fare badly in the air? I've never drunk them on an airplane, prefering to stick to Krug when I fly.

Fredd May 14, 2011 9:54 am

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 16384569)
St. Michelle is another cheap wine that I regard as being well made (good price/performer)...

Agreed. We're not serious drinkers of sparkling wines, but for us the fact that we can buy it locally for well under $10 a bottle doesn't diminish our enjoyment of it. :) Apparently at least some agree as can be seen here, here, and here.

Keep in mind, OP, that back in our youthful days in British Columbia Brights President was the height of decadence for us. :D

chugger1 May 14, 2011 11:12 am

Back in my youth (late 70's) it was Giacobazzi and Riuniti for a cheap, sparkling wine buzz. I still remember the ad campaign. "Riuniti on ice, that's nice." Now it's French Pinot Noirs and Belgian Abbey Ales. How our tastes change (for the better).

Fredd May 14, 2011 11:21 am

Originally Posted by chugger1 (Post 16385076)
Back in my youth (late 70's) it was Giacobazzi and Riuniti for a cheap, sparkling wine buzz. I still remember the ad campaign. "Riuniti on ice, that's nice." Now it's French Pinot Noirs and Belgian Abbey Ales. How our tastes change (for the better).

^ Cold Duck and Cracklin' Rosie - this cries out for a Cheap Wines of Our Youth thread. :D

FMH1964 May 15, 2011 9:57 pm

I don't think it is made anymore, but in Canada, Andres produced Moody Blue in 1.5l format which was a sparkling blueberry flavored wine with a denim patch label. If I recall correctly it was "crackling" wine which meant it was 7% alcohol.

number_6 May 15, 2011 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by chugger1 (Post 16385076)
...and Belgian Abbey Ales. How our tastes change (for the better).

Duvel -- a Belgian idea of a Scottish ale, and far better; of course, it has to be (the Devil made me do it). But having the right shape glass is such a pain for airlines!!!! Making it impossible to serve Belgian ales in mid-air.

Alpha May 15, 2011 10:38 pm

Blue Nun, anyone?

YVR Cockroach May 16, 2011 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Alpha (Post 16392717)
Blue Nun, anyone?

Isn't that a still wine? At any rate, rumours were it was favoured by some now-late senior members of the British royal family.

sfoactuary May 19, 2011 11:45 am

seems like everything today is already made in china, so guess this shouldn't be a shocker

dd992emo May 23, 2011 1:36 pm

Ripple and Club Soda! ^

stimpy May 24, 2011 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Fredd (Post 16384697)
Agreed. We're not serious drinkers of sparkling wines, but for us the fact that we can buy it locally for well under $10 a bottle doesn't diminish our enjoyment of it.

Here in France we can get a pretty good bottle of Champagne for around €5 or 6. Price isn't the only thing.

As for China, they have been making some very nice Cabernet's there for over 15 years now. French winemakers have been there for a long time. I've not tried their sparkling wines yet.

WC_EEND May 24, 2011 6:38 am

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 16392625)
Duvel -- a Belgian idea of a Scottish ale, and far better; of course, it has to be (the Devil made me do it). But having the right shape glass is such a pain for airlines!!!! Making it impossible to serve Belgian ales in mid-air.

Quite a shame that actually, although I'm no Duvel fan, I do like a (preferably Belgian) beer on the plane.

aster May 24, 2011 10:54 am

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 16392625)

It all tastes the same after the first one. ;)

Just gotta remember to drink that first one in a lounge...

YVR Cockroach May 24, 2011 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 16439011)
Here in France we can get a pretty good bottle of Champagne for around €5 or 6. Price isn't the only thing.

Where? PM if you want to keep it confidential. Never seen it that cheap even at small producers cellar door.

As for China, they have been making some very nice Cabernet's there for over 15 years now. French winemakers have been there for a long time. I've not tried their sparkling wines yet.
What brands are those?

More than a few French winemakers have started up in France. Climates similar to France and cheap labour so vineyards can be intensively managed and grapes can be harvested at optimal times.